teach me price negotiating...

The_buster

Buy from someone you know. Plenty here that can help. It will save you a lot of time and efforts.

While I'm not saying this a bad idea cause you can get a great deal this way, be careful if you buy from a friend. If you buy a car that's a pile of shit from a friend (assuming you don't know its a pile of shot when you buy it), it could be a quick way to lose a friend. So if you plan to buy a car from someone you know, check it out better than you normally would. Imo friends are more important than trying to save a dollar, unless you really know what your getting into.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have walked out on 2 separate deals and never got a call. One was over $500.

Looking back i am glad they didnt!

My advice is know the market value of the car. For certain cars you will have to pay more if its rare and low mileage and the dealer know s it.

I walked away from a sol for $500 only to find a better deal that week on the exact color and upgraded to the GXP. I also negotiated over the phone to an agreed price and made an 8 hour round trip. Well worth it to get what you want.

I've always had the final price, tax and title included for equal or under their asking price. That is were I start.

So should I look at cars in the 8-9 grand range with the idea of a possible price drop or stick to 6-7 grand maybe 7500?

You need to sitdown with someone on here and get educated on the process. You are still looking at it from the wrong angle.

What kind of car do you want/need?

You need to look at the book and market value.

Just because they are asking $9k doesn't mean the car is worth near that.

Be very careful in that price range because you can very well end up with a piece of crap that you will regret.

Maybe you should post your needs and people can give you options...

We need a bigger car for two carseats and some storage area. Britt likes the forester, the mitsubishi look alike cant remember if its the outlander or montero, that kind of vehicle. If possible would like to stay under 150k miles. Must be auto and probably non turbo.

I had fun with my last car purchase. Called first got them down to the range I wanted. Drove in, derove it. Stated X was the best I could do with my own financing. They said nope. Walked, they called two days later saying lets deal. I then stated I wanted a dealer option that ran 1K. They chcukled and said no waay. Next da the call came ....they accepted. I WANTED this car like a $1K hooker HOWEVER I KNEW i could find it on another lot so played games.

What about ordering a new vehicle? I am getting ready to do that within the next year.

you can get money off ordering. Just depends on who you know.

With all new car dealers they have separate hold back money (money they make even if they sell the vehicle at invoice).

Bottom line. Don't be a dick and chances are you are going to get money off. I hate people that come in being a jackass straight up front. I can tell you I will do more for someone nice than that. Also depends on the dealer, the time of the month, vehicle your looking at purchasing, a lot of variables.

Edited by John Bruh

you can get money off ordering. Just depends on who you know.

With all new car dealers they have separate hold back money (money they make even if they sell the vehicle at invoice).

Bottom line. Don't be a dick and chances are you are going to get money off. I hate people that come in being a jackass straight up front. I can tell you I will do more for some nice than that. Also depends on the dealer, the time of the month, vehicle your looking at purchasing, a lot of variables.

Ok, so whats the best time of the month to look into purchasing vehicles?

What about ordering a new vehicle? I am getting ready to do that within the next year.

Deposits are always refundable...dont let them tell you otherwise. U can usually lock in current rebates as to not lose money and if the rebates are better at the time of purchase, you win.

Money off will depend on how in demand the vehicle will be. Dealers are only assigned a set number of models to order. If your order is a slot for a hot model, dont expect a big discount.

Otherwise, just work the deal like the car was on the lot.

Why is this?

Interest is due to the bank for the cars on the dealer's floor plan (cars that he has for sale).

As others have said timing, the dealer, and the car play a big part in negotiating. Dealers who specialize in credit situations may have some more mark up then others, this is why it's important to know the value of the car and not what they're asking. Most places have a very similar amount of money in a vehicle based on condition, however some cars move better then others and they'll expect to profit more on those. Bottom line is know what you want and what its worth and hunt for the right deal.

disclaimer: I know most of this stuff but I'm the worst at it, I will go in blind because I found something I liked and buy it. Don't do that.

David,

Honestly, your car is not going to get any dealer excited about trading. In other words, it's not a "game changer".

It's really up to you. Is it worth the potential for a few hundred extra but having to deal with every "Tom, Dick and Harry" on CL calling you and standing you up?

Best of luck on everything.

Interest is due to the bank for the cars on the dealer's floor plan (cars that he has for sale).

As others have said timing, the dealer, and the car play a big part in negotiating. Dealers who specialize in credit situations may have some more mark up then others, this is why it's important to know the value of the car and not what they're asking. Most places have a very similar amount of money in a vehicle based on condition, however some cars move better then others and they'll expect to profit more on those. Bottom line is know what you want and what its worth and hunt for the right deal.

disclaimer: I know most of this stuff but I'm the worst at it, I will go in blind because I found something I liked and buy it. Don't do that.

This is all true. However, I think the major reason for buying at the end of the month has to do with sales people and sales managers trying to "make their month" Most managers are commissioned based on monthly performance based on gross. A good manager will try and squeeze as many deals in as he can. If there is daylight on a deal, it's going to get done.

Most salespeople have monthly incentive bonuses they gun for. Your deal may put them at a unit level they need to make extra cash. You can best be sure that a good salesperson will be a bigger advocate for you at the end of the month. If you want to take it a step further, when you get to the lot, ask to deal with the guy who has the most units out for the month. You want to work with a guy who is motivated. Dont work with a chump who has one or two cars out. Your deal makes no difference to him financially.

We will be paying cash. Tax return + part of student loan.

Part of Student Loan = Part of the money borrowed for school? I'd have to say that is a bad idea. You will be deferring payment of the money borrowed (for the car) for some time and paying it back over a very long term. So long after this car is gone/dead - you will still be paying for it. And making the monthly payments for the money borrowed on the student loan is great. But if you can do that - you're better off to purchase a cheaper car (cash from tax return) and still put that extra money (car payment) towards the student loan debt. IMHO.

This is all true. However, I think the major reason for buying at the end of the month has to do with sales people and sales managers trying to "make their month" Most managers are commissioned based on monthly performance based on gross. A good manager will try and squeeze as many deals in as he can. If there is daylight on a deal, it's going to get done.

Most salespeople have monthly incentive bonuses they gun for. Your deal may put them at a unit level they need to make extra cash. You can best be sure that a good salesperson will be a bigger advocate for you at the end of the month. If you want to take it a step further, when you get to the lot, ask to deal with the guy who has the most units out for the month. You want to work with a guy who is motivated. Dont work with a chump who has one or two cars out. Your deal makes no difference to him financially.

Most of that is true, but dealing with the guy with the most cars out shouldn't be a goal. I'm the newest person in my department and I will say i will do what ever it takes to get the deal done over others that will just let it die. I will never chase a guy out to his car to do the deal like others here have posted because I'm not holding money when it comes to the person walking. If anyone wants something from a Byers lot I'll try my best to help out weather it is a cheap car or a high end one.