teach me price negotiating...

The_buster

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your price range typically doesn't allow room for a 3-4 grand mark up, so the room to negociate just isn't there.

There are dealership guys on here that can answer this better than me. But basically get the details of the car, age, mileage, condition and check it's worth on KBB, black book or where ever people check these days. From there, you're looking at what they are asking for the car minus what it is worth. Roughly, that should give you your room to work on the price.

Example:

$7000 asking price.

A little checking might show it's worth $4800. They still have to make a profit and you need to understand that. So I'd offer $5500 and from there you have to feel them out. The more informed you are on what you want, the better justified you are in your offer.

"Them" who? Little different private party vs. car lots.

I go in assuming AT LEAST 10% off anyone's asking price.

Never EVER believe that their first deal is their best, especially on trade in value offers. It's not.

Realize that salesmen have all the time in the world. You're the uncomfortable one in their environment. They're in no hurry. You need to be the same way.

Ask to see every fee they try to charge you, usually around or above $250. They are negotiable too.

If you know you can't talk them down anymore, go after the free oil changes or free car washes, or tank of gas.

Don't expect to talk anyone down 4 grand on a 7 grand car.

Pay part on credit card if you get rewards and in the position to do so.

Point out everything that looks like it needs repaired or could cost you cash after the test drive. Expect it fixed or more cash taken off the price.

Remember it is not a friendly game of poker, it's business. You can't be afraid or nervous about offending someone with an offer. What's the worst they can do, say no or make a counter offer?

Some salesmen are great at their job, but you're still the buyer with the cash.

Go in expecting to leave. My dad starts every convo with, "Just so you know, we're not buying today." He ALWAYS takes a night to sleep on it and tells them so. Never in my life seen him miss a deal he wants.

Also, go in with the attitude that "THIS" isn't the only one. If you find something you REALLY want, understand that another is just around the corner.

Don't let the salesman do his job. He'll try to persuade you to buy whatever he wants. Stay firm and as said before, don't "show fear".

Walk. The greatest deals I have gotten for myself and others come when we can't reach an agreement so I walk. My brother got his GC, that was listed at $13,900 and needed tires, for $10K WITH new tires. We walked and that night when we got home had a voicemail saying they'd make the deal. I simply told them he was preapproved for $10K and stuck to it (although he was app for $12K). They say things like, "WE can't do that. The vehicle is worth more." My rebuttle? "I'm sure it is, that's not in question. The fact is he has $10K to spend and doesn't like any other car on your lot. If you can't make the deal we understand and thank you for your time."

Just make them play YOUR game. Keep the ball in your court. Let them know you aren't buying right then and there and that you WILL be visiting other lots and taking a day to think it over.

Walk. The greatest deals I have gotten for myself and others come when we can't reach an agreement so I walk. My brother got his GC, that was listed at $13,900 and needed tires, for $10K WITH new tires. We walked and that night when we got home had a voicemail saying they'd make the deal. I simply told them he was preapproved for $10K and stuck to it (although he was app for $12K). They say things like, "WE can't do that. The vehicle is worth more." My rebuttle? "I'm sure it is, that's not in question. The fact is he has $10K to spend and doesn't like any other car on your lot. If you can't make the deal we understand and thank you for your time."

In my experience, the most powerful tool in the game. "He who can walk away, controls the deal".

The amount you get knocked off the asking price is irrelevant. Forgot about that number.

First figure out a couple models that you are interested in.

Second look on ebay completed listings and see what they actually sell for.

Third look up nada book values. (Trade in and retail)

Now you can hop on Autotrader and Cars.com and search for those models and have an idea of who's pricing is in line with the market. Pick 4 or 5 of the best deals and go look at them. Be honest with the salesman that you have a few to look at, and want their best price on this one (after a test drive).

At the end of the day it will be clear which one is the best value, and you go back and buy it.

I have walked out on 2 separate deals and never got a call. One was over $500.

Looking back i am glad they didnt!

My advice is know the market value of the car. For certain cars you will have to pay more if its rare and low mileage and the dealer know s it.

I'm not sure if this is actual help or just my personal experience.

I've always gotten better deals when its rainy. Its just conjecture on my part, but I would think they dont move as many cars when its raining outside so they may be more apt to make a deal on those days?

On more than one occasion I've had salesmen say "it's not like it used to be where you can negotiate a couple grand off now that the internet is around, the price is pretty much the price"

I walked away and found a better deal. It was 4 hours away but that doesn't bother me now five months later.

I actually called ahead saying "I hate negotiating, if $xx,xxx out the door is possible I'll make the trip." They called back 20min later saying yep, see you then. Relative to other sales I've seen on forums and such it was a low price to begin with so I only asked for $1500 off the sticker, knowing the average dealership markup on normal cars is around $1700.

1. Be educated about the car your looking for. Know the known issues and going prices.

2. Almost always walk out to think about it. I've had dealers drop the price by 2-3 grand just by waiting till the next day.

3. Be firm If you only have 7g to spend don't let them upsale you into something you can't afford.

When I got my last car I walked out the door thinking they were not going to sell it to me. It was easy for me to walk because I didn't want the car but they were advertising a good price and my offer was where I knew I could drive it for 6 months and then sell at the same price if I ended up hating the car. I was in my car driving away when the sales guy ran out and said that now they could do the deal.

When I got my last car I walked out the door thinking they were not going to sell it to me. It was easy for me to walk because I didn't want the car but they were advertising a good price and my offer was where I knew I could drive it for 6 months and then sell at the same price if I ended up hating the car. I was in my car driving away when the sales guy ran out and said that now they could do the deal.

I've had this happen as well. The biggest card you can play in a negotiation is walking away.

I negotiated a price over the phone for a car at a Cadillac dealer in Philadelphia. The dealer rolled $5300 of what I could find a comparable car locally for. Well worth the drive, only got stopped once for speeding.

Thinking about it, the last 4 cars I bought, I negotiated over the phone for, and bought them right. Bring your own financing or cash with you, then you can listen to the F&I guy bitch about "giving" the car away and not making anything on financing either.

I walked out on a $50k vehicle over what amounted to $180 floor mats. Principle alone made it so that I couldn't buy that vehicle. I went home and found a better deal on the Internet within an hour.

1. Always more fish in the sea.

2. It's your money to spend, not theirs to possess. Make sure everyone remains clear on that fact throughout the negotiating process.

3. I like a ton of what Vince said. Actually, I like a lot of what a lot of people are posting in here. Good advice.