Place to shoot long distances?

Guest GMoney

I want to start shooting 1000 yard matches. I have the tools to do so but need to practice and the place to do so. The only 1000 yard range i know of is thunder valley, nice place but to far to drive there after work to get my gun sighted in and range time. I would like to get my rifle sighted in at a minimum of 300 yards then start shooting longer distances. Does anyone have a place i could come or know of a place? There are places like Woodbury to shoot 200 yards but of course they are closed Monday and Tuesday and close at 7pm. If it's your place, I am willing to pay you or help put in some physical labor to make the land look better after i leave then when i came. I would only be shooting steel targets or paper so no or little mess.

Guest GMoney
Have you checked the Ohio Division of wildlife ranges? Some have pretty long rifle set-ups and it's $5 for the whole day, or $27 IIRC for the year. It's no 1000 yard, but you might be able to get 200-300 yards I think

Yes i have but can't find anything longer than 200 yards and also not open late or monday, tuesdays.

Guest GMoney
What's your setup?

It's just a cheap off the shelf .308. I know thats not what you want to hear but sorry but i hate posting crap i own on the internet. I'm not lieing about a cheap off the shelf .308 either but once everthing is dialed like the handloads and my skills it should shoot sub .5 MOA and all the way out to 1200 yards with some accuracy.

Guest GMoney
I know rayner's Range south east of here has a 1000yd shooting range.

Thanks. I will have to check them out also. It seems to be slightly closer for me than thunder valley.

Guest GMoney

Thanks for everyone that has helped. Yes i like thunder valley the best but 1.5 hour drive isn't the most fun just trying to see if there something closer. I really doubted it but hey worth the shot.

If i make the drive for briar i might as well do the extra 15min to head to the 1000yard reynors or thundervalley.

I have a 1 year pass to Briar, it's 100 for an individual or 150 for a family membership (Family of 4).

The range at Briar is apparently 386 yards says the guy with his range finder last time I was there. Not really the type of long range you're looking for but it's great if you only need the ~400 yards. You also get drop down steel targets in the pistol booths and they have some shotgun courses.