need help with my POS laptop

2 Sweet

I bought a used laptop, Compaq Presario CQ60-211DX, got a great deal on it (needed a new keyboard). Nothing fancy, I just planned to use it for web and stuff. Has a nice screen, good speakers, number pad on the keyboard, pretty much everything I was looking for.

I replaced the keyboard no problem, and got rid of that shitty ass Vista. It had a bunch of bullshit on the hard drive so I wiped it clean and started from scratch with XP. The only problem is I cant find a compatible audio driver. I searched the internet for hours, all the links to the XP driver have been removed and the Vista driver wont work (installs correctly but still no sound). I know what file I need but all the online links are broken. How can I get my hands on that file?

Also, the wireless connected to the network at my dad's house fine, but wont connect at my moms house or my apartment. Signal strength is excellent, but it never acquires it. Wtf is the deal?

Help!

Try this?

http://laptop-driver.blogspot.com/2010/07/compaq-presario-cq60-211dx-windows-xp.html

Also do you use the windows software that came with the laptop to connect to the wifi ?

Yeah I already tried, all three links for audio are broken.

Yes I use the standard windows software. The wifi signal is excellent. Internet worked flawless at my dads, but not here. Its not the router either, its something with my laptop

Its a pre-sorry o, they already said they were sorry when you got it. XP reports erroneous wifi signal strength but that probably isn't it. Are you getting an IP address or are you getting a 169.x.y.z address?

Its a pre-sorry o, they already said they were sorry when you got it. XP reports erroneous wifi signal strength but that probably isn't it. Are you getting an IP address or are you getting a 169.x.y.z address?

I was getting a bunch of zeroes for the IP address.

Just got to my apartment and the wireless connected no problem, so I'm not too worried about that anymore. I'm more worried about tracking down a working audio driver.

I need a Conexant HD SmartAudio 221 driver for XP, not Vista. There are several links online (HUNDREDS) all of which are fake bullshit or lead back to the same broken/removed sources that probably worked years ago before Microsoft had them taken down. Would something like this be available from a torrent?

Is that legitimate? If so, it's worth a shot. Will it actually work though if my laptop originally came with Vista?

Is that legitimate? If so, it's worth a shot. Will it actually work though if my laptop originally came with Vista?

yes, see my previous post, or try here:

http://drivers.softpedia.com/progDownload/Conexant-HD-SmartAudio-221-Driver-347262-for-XP-Download-168416.html

Be sure to click "external mirror 1", and not some other BS download link.

yes, see my previous post, or try here:

http://drivers.softpedia.com/progDownload/Conexant-HD-SmartAudio-221-Driver-347262-for-XP-Download-168416.html

Be sure to click "external mirror 1", and not some other BS download link.

Clicked it, and it downloaded a cabinet file. What do I do with that? Sorry, I'm a bit computer retarded

Clicked it, and it downloaded a cabinet file. What do I do with that? Sorry, I'm a bit computer retarded[/QUOTe]

save that cab file to your desktop

right click on my computer and hit manage

next go to device manager on the left side

find the sound card, it might have a yellow triangle with a ! in it.

right click, update driver, point to cab file.

Ok I see where it says how to manually update the driver, but when I go through the wizard and choose to install from a specific location (the files I downloaded from your link) I tell it I want to choose the driver to install...and it doesn't let me choose?

save that cab file to your desktop

right click on my computer and hit manage

next go to device manager on the left side

find the sound card, it might have a yellow triangle with a ! in it.

right click, update driver, point to cab file.

I did all of that, except I can't figure out how to point to the cab file. If I tell it to search in a specific location, it won't let me select anything. if I tell it I'll choose the driver, it just does an install wizard for the original file (unsuccessfully)

When I browse the location, I try to point it where the cab file is, but I can't select it (or anything else). The "OK" is grayed out