01 Jeep Wrangler shifter stuck out of gear

Zeppelin

Was driving my daughter's '01 Jeep Wrangler. Was coming up to a red light, so I took it out of gear. Light turned green and when I went to put it in gear, it wouldn't go into any gear. Daughter has been sayiing it was occasionally doing the same, but she would mess with it for a second and it would go in. This time it wouldn't go anywhere. Feels real tight and won't move at all, but is not in gear. Checked the slave and it is full. Also, with the jeep started, when I put the clutch in, try and force it into second, and let the clutch out a bit, it starts to gring a little, like its just shy of being in a gear, but when I put the clutch back in it will not engage fully. Any ideas?

Thanks guys

Larry

Sounds to me like it needs a new clutch. I've had a spring come out of the clutch disc twice on different vehicles and had the same symptoms. If you put the clutch pedal to the floor and try to get a gear, does it kind of creep forward (or backward) the harder you try to push it in the gear?

Clutch has been replaced. No, it doesn't want to move at all when I let out the clutch. It is frozen out of gear. Won't go in with the vehicle running or not. Thanks for the reply though man.

I pulled the shifter and tried to pop the lever. Its stuck good.

Edited by Zeppelin

If you can't get it into gear with the vehicle off something is likely wrong with the shift fork or something inside the transmission. If the clutch or hydrolics are bad the gears should at least grind with the engine running and go in with it off. I'm not familiar with Jeeps in general but it sure sounds like a gear box issue.