Fun car under 30k ?

Jewtoys

Sold my EVO a few months ago and have picked up two bikes to try and replace having a fun car... The bikes are fun but I want another car... I've always wanted a Lotus Esprit or Elise. Two days ago I drove a Elise and hated the feel of the N/A motor... I'm considering picking up a Esprit this weekend but figured I would listen to some ideas before I drop mid 20s on such a old car... :dumb:

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Decent amount of miles for a 06...

I see 5 of these things everyday so not sure I could get into one.... I hate the look of the front... Awesome value though

Corvettes are a dime a dozen because they are awesome sports cars for the money. If you have excellent-condition-Esprit money to spend on a car, I would also look at a Viper.

My favorite? Factory Five Cobra! :)

http://www.ffcars.com/forums/18-factory-five-cars-sale-wanted-sponsored-intercity-lines/

Corvettes are a dime a dozen because they are awesome sports cars for the money. If you have excellent-condition-Esprit money to spend on a car, I would also look at a Viper.

My favorite? Factory Five Cobra! :)

http://www.ffcars.com/forums/18-factory-five-cars-sale-wanted-sponsored-intercity-lines/

I love the Daytona coupes but they sell for way more then 30k. maybe when I'm older I will want a cobra though :)

The only downside to the Esprit is it pretty much will never be fast.... With a Viper I would have a good number of setups to pick from.....

ehh corvette dime n dozen because baby boomer age is hitting mid life crises.. But I assure you.. corvettes are an awesome street car platform that's very hard to beat. Vipers are more of a rare car and always draws attention. If you plan on modding go with the vette... there's a vette tax but the viper tax is just stupid..

pass on the espirit. they have terrible tranny issues and will grenade. its not a matter of if but when...

elise is a great car. lightweight nimble exotic look. the are a pain in the ass to crawl in and out of all the time. they have been high on my list of next fun car but i've always picked something over it. the power issue can easily be addressed by adding a turbo or supercharger to them. go to lotus talk and browse there classified section. you can by one already done for less then what you would spend.

what criteria do you have in wanting in this fun car? 2 door or 4 door? do you prefer n/a to FI? whats the maximum you are willing to spend?

for the money there is no better car then a c5z06. they are dirt cheap these days where you could buy one and then do coilovers,breathing mods etc in your budget.

1G DSM for $1500. Put $10K into build. Beat the snot out of $30k sports cars. Laugh because you still have $18.5 in cash. Win.

Bring it on haters.

18.5k in cash, but then have a rusted out shitbox that's not worth more than 4k resale, breaks down all the time, and also earned you 0 life points.

1G DSM for $1500. Put $10K into build. Beat the snot out of $30k sports cars. Laugh because you still have $18.5 in cash. Win.

Bring it on haters.

I've had plenty of DSM and Colts and the like... I will pass on that garbage.

pass on the espirit. they have terrible tranny issues and will grenade. its not a matter of if but when...

elise is a great car. lightweight nimble exotic look. the are a pain in the ass to crawl in and out of all the time. they have been high on my list of next fun car but i've always picked something over it. the power issue can easily be addressed by adding a turbo or supercharger to them. go to lotus talk and browse there classified section. you can by one already done for less then what you would spend.

what criteria do you have in wanting in this fun car? 2 door or 4 door? do you prefer n/a to FI? whats the maximum you are willing to spend?

for the money there is no better car then a c5z06. they are dirt cheap these days where you could buy one and then do coilovers,breathing mods etc in your budget.

I'm not looking at a TT model. Esprit S4. Best all around Esprit....

Like I've said I really don't know if I could get into a Corvette.. Just something about them I hate...

No 4-doors. Looking for a sports car. I already have a daily.

Thanks

Doc talked a little about Lotus when he had his Elise, said that once Toyota was on board with the powertrain they were very reliable, before that not so much. I thought the Elise was a great little car, but I can see not liking the power as there really isn't a lot. Not sure what I'd suggest, that's why I have a powerful Camaro and a great handling Miata. You have to spend more then I have in both cars to get the same levels of performance of both.

Doc talked a little about Lotus when he had his Elise, said that once Toyota was on board with the powertrain they were very reliable, before that not so much. I thought the Elise was a great little car, but I can see not liking the power as there really isn't a lot. Not sure what I'd suggest, that's why I have a powerful Camaro and a great handling Miata. You have to spend more then I have in both cars to get the same levels of performance of both.

I would be stepping into the Esprit knowing they probably will require more "love" then anything I've ever owned..

I really hated the powerband of the Elise and it truly didn't seem to handle any better then the EVO I had. So I took a pass

I'd look for a good deal on a C6Z. If you're patient, I think you can find one at your budget.

I got a good deal on my '06, but it was still 40k

personally I loved the supercharged elise, it obviously felt slow compared to the vette, but not slow compared to most cars, the gearbox felt :megusta:. The only downside was the crawling in and out of it, and the fact that you are physically touching your passenger the entire time since everything is so tight in there.