New Gen 5 SBC will be LT1

TurboNova

Im sure once the details come out it will be a nice engine. however Im not sure about going back to an "Lt1" is the way to go. With as much success the Gen 3-Gen 4 LS motors had you would think it would be bad luck to rename the next gen an LT1.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20121024/AUTO0103/210240387/1361/GM-unveils-small-block--LT1-6.2-liter-V-8-engine-for-%E2%80%9914-Chevrolet-Corvette

that is dumb to recycle a name like that!

This isnt the first time, and the LT1 of the 90s was a recycling of the HIGHLY successful and popular LT1 of the 70s....

GEN1 = SBC (might as well be ls1, lol)

GEN2 = LT1

GEN3 = LS1

GEN4 = LS3

GEN5 = LT1

and thats just generation of small block V8... They had the LS1 big block in several 1969 models, big block LS6 in the early 70s in vettes and chevelles, and the 454 LS7 in the 70s.... then like I said the LT1 in the stingray corvettes, and now back again. Its no shocker they are also calling this corvette the StingRay again.

Other thoughts...

1) Direct injection, you had to see this coming, its a huge improvement in combustion efficiency, which should correlate to more TQ at the engine. (since TQ is directly proportional to VE)

2) 11.5:1 CR, also good for more power, goes right along with DI.

3)square ports, this is the ideal shape for an intake port for the most part, glad to see it implemented.

4) If the LT1 is back for the base model... what are the chances of a return for the LT5 with DOHC? (crazy I know!)

5) I am interested in tuning capability. What the stock injectors can handle, and how long before upgrades to injectors and/or HP pumps are available. When/if EFI Live/HPT will have ecm tuning packages to consumers.

DI :(

I hope the aftermarket creates some fuel pumps that can keep up with TT applications

I think there will be a bit of head room with the stock pump, if it's been designed anything like the turbo Ecotec. There are guys running double the stock power on the stock fuel system.

This slide shows the injectors flow 22 cc/sec @ 10 Mpa, but the fuel system runs at 15Mpa. The pump pushes 1.48 cc/rev on a 3 lobe cam.

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/lt1-gen-5-chevy-small-block-v8/med/#photo-5384611

There are aftermarket companies making upgraded pumps for DI systems. The guy I worked on my Solstice/Sky turbo kit with is actually making a system for the Audi RS4 now.

I will never mod a new car now...its beyond stupid. Part prices will go up and supporting parts that would typically be fine with aftermarket items are now going to be pushed to their limits from the factory.

Im not saying that im not a fan of innovation and future mpg/emissions that "perfromance cars" will be getting but its just going to get out of hand.

I know im an Ls fan boy but its so simple and well built. I know what the old heads feel like, when you talk to them about when points and condensor ignition sytems went out and carbs went out. SAD

DI :(

I hope the aftermarket creates some fuel pumps that can keep up with TT applications

This made me lol

The reason being you work for an aftermarket company.. And by now they should be able to design a new pump. Man I'm glad I was overlooked...

Were you able to modify the fuel pressure tables in the ECU, like they do on the Ecotec? Others also found on the Ecotec that the problem was with the in-tank pump, so they upgraded that and had no issues. You could also install additional port fuel injection that comes on under high loads, like the BRZ has stock.

The tolerances and process of building a DI pump is very tight and I would only trust a company with a lot of proven capability right now. If everyone's going to need them it would be smart for IPS to partner with one of them and control a large chunk of the market.