Anyone here reload?

TurboGoKart

Can anyone help point me in the right direction for reloading? Any safety/do's donts/tips? I want to get into this, but would rather have someone else explain it rather than the salesman lol. I'd only be reloading two (maybe 3) different calibers. Any different kind of reloaders that are better/worse? Thanks!

Check out the Lee Anniversary kits. These will get you started on the cheap and you can upgrade the pieces that you decided you want to upgrade as you go. The 'heart' of any reloading setup is the press. The single stage "Challenger" press that comes with the Anniversary kit is a good design and will last for many many years.

What calibers are you planning to load?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/423081/lee-challenger-breech-lock-single-stage-press-anniversary-kit

Whatever you do, don't go single stage. At a minimum, go with a turret so you don't have to keep swapping dies. If you're somewhat mechanically savvy, you might be fine with buying a progressive and loading either 1 round or 1 step at a time at first. Otherwise in a month you'll be ready to shoot yourself over how much time it takes to load 100 rounds start to finish once you get everything setup the way you want, and you'll have to spend even more money on a new press.

If you're on the Ohioans for Concealed Carry forum, you may want to consider attending a reloading group meeting (http://www.ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=39977&start=405). Next one is scheduled for December 1st. Also, consider checking out some of the posts in their Handloading forum (http://www.ohioccwforums.org/viewforum.php?f=22).

As for equipment, I'm partial to Lee presses (I have a Loadmaster progressive) because they're inexpensive but not necessarily cheap. FS Reloading has pretty good prices. I prefer the RCBS decapping dies, but if you have the Lee one adjusted correctly it should be fine. For the rest of the dies I have both RCBS and Lee, and have no issues with either so far. Just make sure you get carbide for the pistol sizing dies so you don't have to lube the cases.

Single stage presses are fine, especially for a beginner.

I hope TurboGoKart isn't just looking to get into reloading for the economy of it, as it takes a lot of your time. If you factor in the time it takes to reload, it's going to be more expensive than just buying factory ammo!

That said, reloading allows you to make better ammo than you can buy, tailored for specific firearms, and is a fun hobby that can compliment your shooting hobby.

+1 on the RCBS dies. I like them better than the Lee dies for a couple of reasons and they aren't that much more expensive.

Compared to purchasing it per box?

I figured since both were so cheap to begin with there wouldn't be much cost difference, if you take time out of the equation that is.

For 9mm, let's ignore the time factor and assume that you already have the once fired brass.

Components you would need each time are:

bullet = $0.16/ea

primer = $0.035/ea

powder = $0.003/charge

That's about $0.20/round. You can buy 9mm ammo cheaper than that in bulk, but it's not necessarily going to be the same quality. If you factor in the price of the brass (it can be reloaded multiple times), it's more expensive to reload 9mm than to buy it in bulk.

This is why I do not reload certain pistol calibers.

bullet = $0.16/ea

primer = $0.035/ea

powder = $0.003/charge

That's about $0.20/round.

Those bullet prices sound like either you're loading JHP ($1/round if you buy a 20 round box, maybe $0.50/round if you buy a box of 50) or getting bent over on FMJ prices. Aumiller's in Westerville sells plated FMJ (Berry's I think) for $11 or $12 per 100. If you look hard, you can find 1,000 for $75-$90 online, but you may have to order 4,000 or more at a time. I think the going rate for a box of 50 FMJ is between $10 and $12 ($0.20-$0.24/round) depending on the cases used. Last I updated my spreadsheet, it costs me about $16.39 for 100 rounds.

Also, keep an eye on Vance's website. Sometimes they have CCI primers as cheap as $26.99. Plus, if you pick it up in store, there's no hazmat fee.

I use about 4.7 grains of Winchester 231 powder on my 9mm rounds, so it costs closer to $0.014/round if I buy a 1 pound jug.

Bottom line for the OP, it's best to buy in bulk and wait for the good deals. But don't be surprised when you're putting down hundreds of dollars at a time for components.

I understand there's the initial price, but $16.39 for 100 rds of 9mm is a great price. That's just over what a box of 50 rds costs. Not to mention, there's a very very good chance that the price of ammo is about to get taxed up to 400%. That'll make reloading absolutely worth it.

I understand there's the initial price, but $16.39 for 100 rds of 9mm is a great price. That's just over what a box of 50 rds costs. Not to mention, there's a very very good chance that the price of ammo is about to get taxed up to 400%. That'll make reloading absolutely worth it.

You think components won't be affected??? They will.

I reloaded 45, 38 and 357 ~ 6+ years ago. At that time, it was worth it...

However, It took quite a bit of initial cost to get there. I went with the Lee Single Stage, and it was GREAT for the beginner. However, when going for volume, it got VERY time consuming!!!!

You certainly get what you pay for, but the initial investment is quite high.

Many consider DILLON among the best.

:thumbup:

KillJoy

Also.... to keep cost down, consider shooting less then full power loads w/ lead bullets. If you have a good supply of lead (used wheel weights???) you might even consider casting your own.

I loved shooting 200 Grain SWC in 45. They were AWESOME range rounds!!!

KillJoy

Over the past year I first got into reloading with the mentioned lee single stage kit, I then got into swagging the projectiles out of .22lr cases. It's SLOW but it's enjoyable to sit down at my work bench and tune out the kids, I live in the inner city so I don't get to shoot much and this gives me something gun-related to take up my spare time.