How NASA might build its very first warp drive

Fubar231

Space travel is the one thing I'd drop everything for.

BRB need people for possibly deadly 1st trip to other planet with no guarantees.

I'd be there tomorrow...

me two

Fuck, yes. I'm in, too.

I would go with you Jones but there is a very good chance I would die first...

Of course, you will. I'll pick you up a red shirt to make it double-official.

I've always wondered (in my completely non-scientific mind) why instead of a warp drive some sort of Higgs drive could not be used. If the Higgs Bozon was discovered and we could know how the Higgs field affects mass why couldn't we manipulate it to decrease the mass of an object as it accelerates, therefore, eliminate the need for infinite energy to go the speed of light?

I'm not all up on the HG yet, but if as you described that would still only get us to at or near the speed of light, which unfortunately, is still dogshit slow in cosmic terms.

the warp drive though, will be significantly faster than the speed of light.

I've always wondered (in my completely non-scientific mind) why instead of a warp drive some sort of Higgs drive could not be used. If the Higgs Bozon was discovered and we could know how the Higgs field affects mass why couldn't we manipulate it to decrease the mass of an object as it accelerates, therefore, eliminate the need for infinite energy to go the speed of light?

everybody knows you need a warp drive to go to plaid

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7zn3qx6G01qdddnho1_500.jpg

I'm not all up on the HG yet, but if as you described that would still only get us to at or near the speed of light, which unfortunately, is still dogshit slow in cosmic terms.

the warp drive though, will be significantly faster than the speed of light.

See, I thought that if you could manipulate the mass to zero then an object would require almost no energy to bring up to speed, due to e=mc(squared), so you could just continually manipulate the mass to keep up with your energy.

Everything is as you perceive

:fuckyeah:

winner

I am no scientist but from my understanding if we were even able to distort or affect the field in a way that would decrease matter's mass the matter would not survive the process. My only understanding of this is from reading a single book however (The Fabric of the Cosmos)