T56 rebuild

phil

Anyone have a good recommendation for a basic... Let me repeat basic t56 rebuild. Or does anyone on here know how to do one and want a side job.

Welcome to the world of T-56, there isn't much basic and cheap about it. Like I told you the other day when you called me, you'll get what you pay for. How many times has Craig had to pull his apart? No offense to Craig but throwing used peices into a trans to replace broken shit isn't going to get you very far. It takes some special tools, experience, and quality parts to make one of these last. Thats why these don't even come apart at the dealership typically. Bite the bullet, spend some of yor DSM money on some place that specializes in these.

Welcome to the world of T-56, there isn't much basic and cheap about it. Like I told you the other day when you called me, you'll get what you pay for. How many times has Craig had to pull his apart? No offense to Craig but throwing used peices into a trans to replace broken shit isn't going to get you very far. It takes some special tools, experience, and quality parts to make one of these last. Thats why these don't even come apart at the dealership typically. Bite the bullet, spend some of yor DSM money on some place that specializes in these.

Used? I bought new internal parts from GM bro, only parts that were used was the rear tail housing and reverse switch

Used? I bought new internal parts from GM bro, only parts that were used was the rear tail housing and reverse switch

Speak of the devil. Okay so aside from my reference to you, would you recommend he go to whom ever or a specialized shop?

and if you bought all new shit then I was mistaken. Why don't you build Phil's, at least you've done it before.

Speak of the devil. Okay so aside from my reference to you, would you recommend he go to whom ever or a specialized shop?

and if you bought all new shit then I was mistaken. Why don't you build Phil's, at least you've done it before.

it does take special tools, patience and A LOT of money, I've done mine three times because stock parts are shit for performance setups

it does take special tools, patience and A LOT of money, I've done mine three times because stock parts are shit for performance setups

I'm not using the car for " performance" anymore, I just want it to dd and a lil gitty up. It doesn't seem like there is going to be a cost effective way of doing this

How about a T56 from Jegs? Would it be better to have yours rebuilt or to buy one from there. I don't know how much Tick, RPM or Quick Shift wants to overhaul one but it looks like you can get a set up from Jegs for around $3500. Would a fully built stocker be stronger/better/cost effective over a new Hurst or TKO?

How about a T56 from Jegs? Would it be better to have yours rebuilt or to buy one from there. I don't know how much Tick, RPM or Quick Shift wants to overhaul one but it looks like you can get a set up from Jegs for around $3500. Would a fully built stocker be stronger/better/cost effective over a new Hurst or TKO?

He can send it to Tick and have a basic overhall for about $1k last time I checked.

He can send it to Tick and have a basic overhall for about $1k last time I checked.

What al do they consider "basic" just bearings and tabs? Does that include forks at all? I have my original T56 and it has a broken fork. I guess what I'm asking for my own car is should I have the original built up or buy a Hurst? The Hurst is rated to 700 ft lbs and cost around $3500.

What al do they consider "basic" just bearings and tabs? Does that include forks at all? I have my original T56 and it has a broken fork. I guess what I'm asking for my own car is should I have the original built up or buy a Hurst? The Hurst is rated to 700 ft lbs and cost around $3500.

Typically cheaper to build what you have, I haven't looked into it for a while but hard parts are not included. If they stick a Viper mainshaft in it, or now they are sticking the new T-6060 guts in the f-body T-56s all can be had for under $3500 iirc, and have a higher torque rating.

You missed the "basic" part. I was trying to keep this under 1k$ bucks. Why would I spent $3500 on a dd trans ?

damn that's cheap, I broke my countershaft twice, GM's price for that part alone was $1500.00, then there's the cost for syncro keys that break, shift pads that are worn, shift forks that usually bend, bearings & needle bearings, plus when a syncro key cracks/breaks it damages the teeth around the synrco itself and the gear it slides on when shifting, this is usually what causes a grind when shifting, so then you have the cost for whatever gear is damaged and or syncro. then you have to hope that you didn't score/damage the mainshaft.

oh and the cost of fluid <---sarcasim it uses ATF

damn that's cheap, I broke my countershaft twice, GM's price for that part alone was $1500.00, then there's the cost for syncro keys that break, shift pads that are worn, shift forks that usually bend, bearings & needle bearings, plus when a syncro key cracks/breaks it damages the teeth around the synrco itself and the gear it slides on when shifting, this is usually what causes a grind when shifting, so then you have the cost for whatever gear is damaged and or syncro. then you have to hope that you didn't score/damage the mainshaft.

oh and the cost of fluid <---sarcasim it uses ATF

Okay sarcasim, I said above that it doesn't include any broken hard parts.

and since you fuckers don't want to look it up yourselves.

http://www.tickperformance.com/1993-2002-camaro-trans-am/

Our Level One Rebuild is the perfect choice for those of you making 450RWTQ or less in your car and not wanting to break the bank on a T56 Rebuild! This complete price includes parts, labor AND shipping (both ways). Our Level One Standard Rebuild includes the following:

•Complete tear-down, degrease & thorough inspection of entire transmission

•Bronze 1-4 Fork Pads

•OEM 5-6 & Reverse Fork Pads

•Billet 3-4 Synchronizer Keys (with upgraded springs)

•New OEM 1-2, 5-6 & Reverse Keys & Springs

•Carbon Fiber Synchronizer (blocker) Rings

•Steel 3-4 Shift Fork

•New Front Seal

•New Rear Seal

•End-play set to our custom specifications

•Professional Reassembly done 100% by hand

You missed the "basic" part. I was trying to keep this under 1k$ bucks. Why would I spent $3500 on a dd trans ?

I guess you missed the part where I asked about for my own car. Besides, any information is helpful. What you chose to do with it is up to you.

Anyone have a good recommendation for a basic... Let me repeat basic t56 rebuild. Or does anyone on here know how to do one and want a side job.

I had my T56 rebulit by Brown transmission in Newark. At the time they were they only shop that would work on T56's . I've heard though that Hardshift in Johnstown has done some for people. Theres also Scotts Transmissions on Broad St in Pataskala and Quality transmission on 37 in Baltimore. I beleive they all do T-56's.

Okay sarcasim, I said above that it doesn't include any broken hard parts.

and since you fuckers don't want to look it up yourselves.

http://www.tickperformance.com/1993-2002-camaro-trans-am/

wasn't directed toward you Oscar! it was so Phil can get an idea of what to expect, anytime a T56 has any issues you and I both can guarantee there's broken parts and his bill wont be cheap by any means.

I've rebuilt mine 3 times myself 3 so I know what I'm looking for/at when I had it apart. you can't half ass anything here phil, if your having issues in the back half of the tranny then you better look at the front section too or you'll be taking it out and doing it again with a much larger bill.

Phil, what's the problem with the transmission?

It is stuck in reverse technically, it will go in reverse, and it will go into neutral , but in neutral it still acts likes it is in reverse. If I put it in any forward moving gears, it acts like the e brake is on and locks up

It is stuck in reverse technically, it will go in reverse, and it will go into neutral , but in neutral it still acts likes it is in reverse. If I put it in any forward moving gears, it acts like the e brake is on and locks up

your not gonna know anything until its taken apart, but you better have some coin saved up. sounds like the sycro keys are broken keeping the sycro itself stuck on the reverse gear, shift fork is probably bent too

Last year I bought a 96 formula as a parts car for a t56 swap to my 89 fbird. It ran and drove ok except it was hard to get into third. I took it to a-team transmissions in Worthington. They found major internal damage and total parts alone for a stage 2 kit was 1,500. The labor was about 500. I was happy with the shop but the total price hurt.

your not gonna know anything until its taken apart, but you better have some coin saved up. sounds like the sycro keys are broken keeping the sycro itself stuck on the reverse gear, shift fork is probably bent too

We got it half way apart found some broken blockers and decided that ill just take it somewhere when I have the $. This couldn't have happened at a worse time. We just bought a house and the holidays are coming up so it maybe down for a while. Time to decide if I want to dsm done or the gto running. I've called a few places an its all looking like a 12-1500 dollar ordeal :fuuuu: