Supercharge and LT's on the C5Z or get a C6Z?

DTM Brian

wife (yes)

kids (yes)

no limit to my toys (yes)

get the c6z----port/mill the heads with upgraded hardware, full exhaust, cam, clutch, intake==not many cars can touch it.

gt500-----nothing but headaches for me.

if i could do it over again, i'd simply pulley my cts-v and basically have a GT500. then i'd buy something exotic.

What kind of power does your Z make? Wanna sell it? :p

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What kind of power does your Z make? Wanna sell it? :p

578rwhp/524rwtq. its insane. so much power, so much fun from 60-120mph, so much brakes, so much turns, so much sex appeal. my cam is VERY streetable. i've ruined cars before by doing too much. this car is perfect. i have the ls9x clutch too---lighter than stock feel, full driveability, with the remote bleeder.

i'd much sooner part with my GT500. the caddy and vette are keepers for sure.

578rwhp/524rwtq. its insane. so much power, so much fun from 60-120mph, so much brakes, so much turns, so much sex appeal. my cam is VERY streetable. i've ruined cars before by doing too much. this car is perfect. i have the ls9x clutch too---lighter than stock feel, full driveability, with the remote bleeder.

i'd much sooner part with my GT500. the caddy and vette are keepers for sure.

I would be interested in hearing your disappointments of the GT500

I would be interested in hearing your disappointments of the GT500

broke the stock clutch under normal driving conditions with my 3 kids in the car with 171 miles on it----car was at the stealership 3 weeks being fixed---kids and i were stranded for 3 hours, when i had to round at the hospital

tires are so crazy--skinny, the car gets zero traction--its actually dangerous to drive here in wisconsin. the tires only respond when heated up. if i want to have fun with the car AT ALL, i have to do a small burnout to get any traction in second gear.

vibration under the car from the stupid assembly tabs on the midpipe

broken latch on the center console

rear end whine started at 500 miles, and got so loud i took the car to the dealer again with 1600 miles, as it was simply unbearable. now the car needs a new ring/pinion, and hopefully that takes care of it.

brakes squeal at low speeds---just annoying as shit for a $70k car to do that

aside from the stupid problems i've had with the car it feels heavier than my cts-v for some reason. the suspension feels years behind the MR suspension of GM.

positive points of the GT500----the car's exhaust is simply perfect when stock---sounds amazing. if you can hook in 1st the car is scary-fast, and easy to powershift. recaros are awesome, maybe even better than the caddy's. why the fuck can't gm put these in the vette, i have no idea. glass roof looks good as well. track modes, launch control, gauges are cool---i haven't owned the car long enough to try these fucking things.

i'm seriously contemplating a lawyer at this point, as i feel i've gotten a lemon. the GM dealership has no date for the ring/pinion for me---what the fuck does that mean?? they said there is some kind of revision or something. whatever.

only a fool would buy this car over a c6z---just my $.02, but my experience has been awesome with the vette---shitty with the stang

broke the stock clutch under normal driving conditions with my 3 kids in the car with 171 miles on it----car was at the stealership 3 weeks being fixed---kids and i were stranded for 3 hours, when i had to round at the hospital

tires are so crazy--skinny, the car gets zero traction--its actually dangerous to drive here in wisconsin. the tires only respond when heated up. if i want to have fun with the car AT ALL, i have to do a small burnout to get any traction in second gear.

vibration under the car from the stupid assembly tabs on the midpipe

broken latch on the center console

rear end whine started at 500 miles, and got so loud i took the car to the dealer again with 1600 miles, as it was simply unbearable. now the car needs a new ring/pinion, and hopefully that takes care of it.

brakes squeal at low speeds---just annoying as shit for a $70k car to do that

aside from the stupid problems i've had with the car it feels heavier than my cts-v for some reason. the suspension feels years behind the MR suspension of GM.

positive points of the GT500----the car's exhaust is simply perfect when stock---sounds amazing. if you can hook in 1st the car is scary-fast, and easy to powershift. recaros are awesome, maybe even better than the caddy's. why the fuck can't gm put these in the vette, i have no idea. glass roof looks good as well. track modes, launch control, gauges are cool---i haven't owned the car long enough to try these fucking things.

i'm seriously contemplating a lawyer at this point, as i feel i've gotten a lemon. the GM dealership has no date for the ring/pinion for me---what the fuck does that mean?? they said there is some kind of revision or something. whatever.

only a fool would buy this car over a c6z---just my $.02, but my experience has been awesome with the vette---shitty with the stang

To be honest Kirk my heart is with the fox body mustangs. I just can not seem to get into the new ones. I realize that the foxes drum brakes and lack of creature comforts do not compare to the new ones. Foxes are my first favorite with the 94-98 body style as my second. I really dig the new coyote motor. The rest of the car does not interest me.

70k for a mustang with this many disappointments would make me sick. That is a lot of money for me to spend on a car. More then what I am willing to spend. I agree with you. I would pick the Z over the GT500.

As little as you drive the C5z the C6 would piss you off, the battery goes dead, the pushbutton start seems to forget the fob. I think the C6z is a great car, however keep the super clean C5z, install nice supercharger set-up, and put more money towards owning a building for DTM.

As little as you drive the C5z the C6 would piss you off, the battery goes dead, the pushbutton start seems to forget the fob. .

my vette has 5500 miles in nearly 3 years of ownership. its on the battery tender every time i park it---never had a dead battery even with the mild to wild switch. never had a fob issue

my vette has 5500 miles in nearly 3 years of ownership. its on the battery tender every time i park it---never had a dead battery even with the mild to wild switch. never had a fob issue

I wish eveyone that owned one was so lucky, personally I think there are a lot of items on the C6 cars that I would rather not have and all the extra electronics is most of it. Every spring we get a dozen or so that people have no clue how to take care of it, but there are many throughout the season that have issues as well. I will say however that other then some fluid leaks we don't really get the Vettes is for much else.

c5z. With the price of c6z's dropping so fast I am tempted to trade up but only for the engine...I love the true FRC design and looks and the c5 is lighter. The c6 has slightly better supportive seats but almost all of the already lacking road feel and rawness is gone.... the 08 + has a slightly better rack for steering response but I would trade that for the improved road feel of the c5. I am looking into making my own custom rack setup right now for porsche 944 level steering feel *cross fingers*

Put the supercharger on if you want more power- I was going to do it myself and bought the gremlin project instead... the problem is that without a 2010 or late 2009 model c6 pcm you cant get launch control which I desperately want (racelogic box would work I think but a pita to install and def not as neat as a factory setup)... as you know all the power in the world is worthless without traction and as mine sits stock with nitto nt05s which are much stickier than supercars I am at about the limit of them... That is unless you have more balls than me and wish to drive around in the rain with drag radials or slicks... and once you do that you need a beefier rear end, transmission, bracing for both (pfadt and dte), half shafts, better clutch, etc... hence why I bought the gremlin instead...

If I were you and were single with time to burn I would sign up for spring mountain driving school and do a bunch of hdpes... these cars were made for road racing not drag racing... there are still days I think about putting a blower on or an ls7 clone or both but my practical side wins over usually.

Edited by hpfiend