Ammo, how much of it?

Mojoe

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone ever watched a news story or read an anticle where the reporter in a very concerned tone said xxx thousand rounds and xxx guns were found in Mr. Smith's home. Then you looked around and said uh oh? Or do you just smile and say nothing?

I just smile.

I keep a stockpile of M855, M118LR/M80 (7.62), .45 ACP, 12 gauge buck/slugs, .22, and some 9mm. I'd say the latest numbers are north of 1,500 per caliber as a steady inventory. After the house purchase, I'll concentrate on reloading and other calibers like .30-06, .30 carbine, .303 British, 8mm Mauser, 5.7X28mm etc....

Attorney Ken Hanson has a line he throws out during his lectures... if he ever gets arrested and the local news reports that he had 1,000 rounds of ammo stockpiled in his basement, he's going to tell them, "bullshit, I have 100,000 rounds!".

I honestly don't know what I have now. Sounds like not much relative to the average in this thread.

I was just talking about this with a buddy last week. I was thinking 1k per caliber was a good starting point.

Where do you guys shop for best deals? I was looking online and on some calibers I didn't see any savings to buying in bulk, if anything some was more expensive.

Also, do you have to do any to 'protect' the ammo when storing for long periods? Just curious.

I was just talking about this with a buddy last week. I was thinking 1k per caliber was a good starting point.

Where do you guys shop for best deals? I was looking online and on some calibers I didn't see any savings to buying in bulk, if anything some was more expensive.

Also, do you have to do any to 'protect' the ammo when storing for long periods? Just curious.

Depends on the caliber, but palmetto state armory, cheaper than dirt, lucky gunner etc.... I store most of my ammo in MTM ammo cans and some NATO metal cans. I keep it dry and in the closet.

Since I primarily have military calibers, I like to buy surplus in sealed tins/crates/battlepacks, etc. for storage. They are vacuum packed and will easily last a lifetime if stored in a cool, dry place.

For ammo outside of sealed containers, I use the surplus ammo cans and put a bag of desiccant in each can.

The key with long term storage is a consistent temperature, and a dry environment.

Edit:

Military surplus comes in great containers that are waterproof, airtight, and stackable. What more could you ask for! :)

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k239/jjjxlr8/Firearms/IMG_7400.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k239/jjjxlr8/Firearms/IMG_7406.jpg

Edited by jjjxlr8
added example photos...

What brand do you recommend buying or at least staying away from? There are so many options and I've never bought anything except at Walmart/Vances/a range and never in bulk. Is there a price-point you try and stay around to feel there is a good value there?

I have a .40 now but am considering picking up a 9mm for my next handgun purchase mainly due to ammo price difference. Is there a noticeable difference in ability take someone down with 9mm/.40? What is your preference? Obviously I have no military experience and am just asking for another persons opinion.

I have enough ammo to last several months without restocking.

I also have about 80 arrows. 50 I would consider small game/target arrows. 30 that are big game (deer and bigger). I also have the ability to refletch arrows. Would love to learn how to make them from scratch. But I guess i could figure it out if I absolutely had to.

I have 3 compound bows and 1 recurve. Want to pick up a long bow as well.

What brand do you recommend buying or at least staying away from? There are so many options and I've never bought anything except at Walmart/Vances/a range and never in bulk. Is there a price-point you try and stay around to feel there is a good value there?

I have a .40 now but am considering picking up a 9mm for my next handgun purchase mainly due to ammo price difference. Is there a noticeable difference in ability take someone down with 9mm/.40? What is your preference? Obviously I have no military experience and am just asking for another persons opinion.

Not a huge price jump between 9mm and .40 S&W. Then again, it depends on the type of ammo you seek. You can score bulk ball (target ammo) for fairly cheap. Sub $20 for 50 rounds is pretty decent in my book. Defensive rounds are a different story, ie Jacketed Hollow Points etc... Everyone will have their opinion, but I'm a Speer Gold Dot fan. Ball ammo, doesn't really matter too much. I have a mix of Remington UMC, Speer, Federal, Winchester white box. I find my Glocks eat everything, so it's not too important other than my .45 ACP is all 230 grain. Find what cycles in your firearms, then start stocking away.

Winchester target (in the white box) or Blazer from walmart is what I typically 'stock' up on for .40 S&W.

For self defense, I like the Remington Golden Saber, 165 gr. ammo but I don't 'stock up' on that since it's close to a $1/round.

What about 'dirty' ammo?

I haven't found anything my m&p won't fire, and it's had about 10k rounds through in that I can figure but I've always bought what I 'thought' was nicer/cleaner ammo for reasons I'm not sure of, maybe heard it on the web? Although I always clean my guns so maybe this is less of an issue than I'm imagining?

What about 'dirty' ammo?

I haven't found anything my m&p won't fire, and it's had about 10k rounds through in that I can figure but I've always bought what I 'thought' was nicer/cleaner ammo for reasons I'm not sure of, maybe heard it on the web? Although I always clean my guns so maybe this is less of an issue than I'm imagining?

The Herter's stuff, brown bear, CCI aluminum cases rounds tend to be a no go in my world. Federal, Speer, Winchester, Remington..... Can't go wrong. I've found some of the federal is a hair more dirty in .45ACP, and Fiocchi likes to load a hair on the hot side. Last box of Fiocchi I ran in my old S&W 5946 threw out some impressive muzzle blast.

Cool, off to stock up on some ammo then. I bought 100rds of whitebox winchester's from local walmart for $32 a week or two ago, looking online that seems a pretty good price even when shopping for 1000rds.

I like to keep 1000 9mm and am aiming to have at least 2k in 5.56 or .223.

I want to get my 9mm stock up more. I feel 1000 is good to have so you have at least 500 there to break in a new gun.

If you had to take off on foot then 1000 of each caliber might be more than what some could carry with the rest of their crap.

No one is moving too far on foot with 1000 rounds of anything other than .22lr