Earning MBA While Employed Full Time - Teach me the ways

spankis

I've reached a point where I'm beginning to seriously consider furthering my education, likely with a Masters of Business Administration. I have a BS from OSU now, and I have an 8-5 job with some flexibility, where I could potentially work 7-4 or possibly even four tens if it were advantageous. My employer will reimburse me for tuition/registration, under the following terms:

Graduate courses are limited to whichever is met first: $12,000 per calendar year or 20 credit hours

• Graduate level courses qualify for inclusion as part of a ‘qualified tuition reimbursement program’ as defined by the Internal Revenue service and shall qualify for exclusion from the employee’s gross income subject to the annual $5,250 limitation.

• Any amounts reimbursed in excess of the annual $5,250 limitation are fully taxable as income to the employee.

My aim is to find a program that I can complete in evenings or weekends, while continuing to work. It would be ideal if I could find a program that fits around the $5250/year limit listed above, but I would for sure want to stay under the $12000 cap for reimbursement. If this isn't a reasonable expectation then so be it.

I'd love to some get some input on local (within 30-45 minutes of 270) accredited MBA programs from those who've completed theirs or are currently enrolled. I think the perfect school in my eyes would stress completing the program quickly, while gearing their offerings to someone who is employed full time. I'm sure we have more than a handful of members who've been down this road themselves, so I'd love to get some opinions.

Thanks in advance.

I'm doing my MBA through Ashland Online and I've had a few friends do their with Franklin online. Its been pretty flexible and from all the recruiters I've talked with an MBA is an MBA unless your in the top 5 or on the other end University of Phoenix.

I may be way off base here, but the online offerings seem a little low-end, and like they may be viewed differently than standard butt-in-seat programs. If they're "accredited" and all perhaps, but I'll have to do a little research. From what you're describing they may actually be very comparable; my opinion comes from a bad experience with a very shitty online course offered by OSU.

My employer's tuition reimbursement policy has this requirement at least:

Courses must be provided by an institution accredited by one of the following six regional associations:

• New England Association of Schools and Colleges

• Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools

• North Central Association of Colleges and Schools

• Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities

• Southern Association of Colleges and Schools

• Western Association of Schools and Colleges

If you get your MBA online from a University like Ashland or Franklin it says MBA not "Online MBA". There's no way to tell the difference and its the same course work through an accredited university. I'd really do some research in the programs before calling an online program low-end. Most universities have online MBA programs now that are viewed as on par with normal in class courses.

If you get your MBA online from a University like Ashland or Franklin it says MBA not "Online MBA". There's no way to tell the difference and its the same course work through an accredited university. I'd really do some research in the programs before calling an online program low-end. Most universities have online MBA programs now that are viewed as on par with normal in class courses.

I'm absolutely guilty of ignorance, so I apologize. Like I said above "I may be way off base here...."

I'm very much just getting my feet wet with all of this, as I literally started looking into it right after work today.

Several nationally ranked MBA programs offer complete online degrees nowadays as well, however there is a hefty premium for the flexibility ($1,145/hr vs. $700/hr at Indiana University). Our degrees did not distinguish whether they were earned full-time, part-time, or online.

Also, many programs are recognizing the need for flexibility and transitioning to a more hybrid program. For example, my old program is going from 2 nights a week in class, to 1 night a week in class and 1 night online for core classes.

I am not too familiar with the local MBA programs, however I have heard Ohio State is also transitioning to a hybrid part-time program (if they haven't already done so).

University of Maryland has a solid online program. They were one of the first programs in the country to go online. I would personally avoid Franklin since the name is not recognized across the country.

I've seen commercials for Maryland, I'll have to look into their program.

My mom works 50-60hr/wk at her "normal" job, manages her 50+ rental properties/real estate, and is about halfway through her online MSN/MBA program. She literally has no free time whatsoever, but it is doable.

All I've got is work and a girlfriend, everything else can wait if need be. So that sounds promising.

Several nationally ranked MBA programs offer complete online degrees nowadays as well, however there is a hefty premium for the flexibility ($1,145/hr vs. $700/hr at Indiana University). Our degrees did not distinguish whether they were earned full-time, part-time, or online.

Also, many programs are recognizing the need for flexibility and transitioning into a more hybrid program. For example, my old program is going from 2 nights a week in class, to 1 night a week in class and 1 night online.

I am not too familiar with the local MBA programs, however I have heard Ohio State is also transitioning to a hybrid part-time program (if they haven't already done so).

Though I went to OSU for my undergrad, the Fisher College of Business program looks a little bit too involved and expensive for my needs - if I even got accepted there. Their stated program length is 72 credit hour over 27 months, with a cost of $18k/year!

Wife will be done in May with her MBA from Ohio Dominican its been rough and shit ton of work, but she is a perfectionist when it comes to school and still caries a 4.0

Their program looks pretty decent actually, and seemingly checks a lot of boxes I'm looking for. Is she doing online or in person, and what is her chosen concentration?

this is something that you have to accept, any type of online program or big name school will be pricey in state or not. If Ohio Domincan program checks out qualification wise, then it can be a winner due to you are a state resident, hence cheaper tuition.

Several other options are Depaul, Michigan, Washington, and Stanford.

alternative route: If your main focus is to get into the best possible school even though you don't have the qualifications. A back door to gain admission into great schools with high standards is to apply as a non-declared major for a few classes. It's easier to get accepted and if you do well then you are able to apply with a proven track record at the university. The big downside, is you may have to pay out of pocket since I'm pretty sure FAFSA wont' cover it due to no declared major and you will pay 10-30% higher tuition for those classes you take undeclared. It maybe possibly worth it since you get a big dick name school for your diploma.

If you have any questions regarding a specific universities reputation, just ask away since I can easily find out from my parents.

I got my MBA from Franklin University. I worked my normal 8-5 job and took the classes in the evenings. I liked the program, most of the professors, and the price. I think that it only took just over a year.

I will say that for Franklin, you will mostly get out what you put in as there were students that blatantly plagiarized some of their papers and didn't get caught.

My work had the same $5250 reimbursement cap but you could apply for new funds up to 3 years after completing the course.

I was really looking into getting my MBA a couple of years ago. I had a friend go to Franklin and another go to OSU for their programs. I tagged along and went to their classes and sat in and took some looks around at the programs/costs. I highly recommend you do the same and see the differences for yourself. I had already narrowed it down to those 2 schools so I can't speak to the online or other schools in the region, but OSU was HANDS DOWN the better school/program/experience than Franklin from the experiences I saw/had.

What I ran into with weighing my options was that with the cost to go to OSU it was going to take me 4 years to spread out the cost/time involved and it was still going to put me in a considerable amount of debt or really change my lifestyle to pay for it as I went. I wasn't willing to take on that additional debt/cost since my wife and I were planning on having a child and that was my decision. I also very much debated if 4 years of additional work experience would get me just as far as completing the program over 4 years.

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. Here is my input:

Time management is your BEST friend.

You get out of it what you put in.

Prepare to not have a life.

Talk to different schools before you choose.

Franklin was the best fit for me in how they offered classes and cost. OSU is going to be a “better” experience and carries a bit more weight. However, at Franklin the Professors do a great job teaching you what works in practice, not what is in their text book, that they wrote, and forced you to buy.

I learned some business things I had never been exposed to in undergrad, but it was the other things I learned that have helped more.

Thanks for all the input guys, keep it coming. I won't have time to really look into it a lot more until after work, but it's looking like Ohio Dominican, Franklin, and maybe even OU's MBA program may all be reasonably good fits for me.

And Smokey, as for the 2 years of school vs. 2 more years of work experience argument, I did actually weigh the two like you're suggesting. I wish 2 more years of work experience would put me into a more favorable situation, but it does not appear that it would.

Something to consider; are you furthering your education simply because the opportunity is there? Or is an MBA something you consider essential to your career goals? It might end up being a lot of work for naught if an MBA isn't going to earn you any more money in your lifetime, whether through irrelevance to your career field or whether you'd be just as well off in terms of getting jobs and salaries you want without the degree.

Just some food for thought, and basically the questions my dad asked me when I was considering grad school. Decided it wasn't for me at this particular time in my life.

And Smokey, as for the 2 years of school vs. 2 more years of work experience argument, I did actually weigh the two like you're suggesting. I wish 2 more years of work experience would put me into a more favorable situation, but it does not appear that it would.

If you're looking to change fields because you feel you're topped out in your current field then an MBA is a great way to facilitate that jump. In my case it was going to further my education to continue in a field I'm already working in, so it was a little easier for me to not do it.

I'm basically looking to continue within the same field, but under a different group/team within the same company. I'm hoping graduate school should expedite my move to that group, and let me do a little leap frogging.

As of now I've contacted a few admissions people at several schools, and ordered a copy of my transcript from OSU. I'll keep doing research, but by the looks of things I'm too late for a lot of the spring registrations I see.

I only read a few replies so i'll just add my .02 cents. I have a few friends that attended "night school" through accredited and legitimate institutions and no one has ever questioned the quality of the education they received.

I do agree that you should shop around and compare programs before diving in. I think when you start looking into it you'll be surprised how many school's offer programs that fit your schedule perfectly, you're not the first one to go back to school while working.