27 dead (20 children, 6 adults and shooter) in an elem school in CT

starkmaster03

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is as nearly as tragic as anything I can recall.

Beyond sorrow for the victims and anger for the culprit, my reaction - which is likely somewhat irrational, considering I have children - is that all schools must immediately be operated as secure facilities: locked, metal detectors, and staffed full-time with armed security personnel. I realize the nearly astronomical costs of converting every school into a fortified structure, but, I would ask, can we afford not to?

Few things here:

To every Parent, Aunt, Uncle, Grandma, Grandpa...when you go home tonight make sure you hug your child and appriciate the time you have with them.

Home schooling doesn't stop you from being shot up in a mall or movie theater! Society as a whole is fucked and you can even see it on forums such as this self. The whole "trolling" or false online persona people carry believe it or not can set people over the edge. Think about that the next time you start to talk shit to someone or pick and poke fun of them outside of friendly bantering. Stop being so pissed off all the time, life is way too fucking short and we all end up in the same place (I don't want to start a religious battle so keep that shit to yourselves).

If today has taught us anything at all, its that life can be lost at any point, any place and for no reason at all. Don't take the shit for granted and stop treating each other like total assholes.

This is as nearly as tragic as anything I can recall.

Beyond sorrow for the victims and anger for the culprit, my reaction - which is likely somewhat irrational, considering I have children - is that all schools must immediately be operated as secure facilities: locked, metal detectors, and staffed full-time with armed security personnel. I realize the nearly astronomical costs of converting every school into a fortified structure, but, I would ask, can we afford not to?

Probably the 2 best posts in this whole thread so far, so im going to quote them so everyone can read them again

I'm speaking from the top of my head here - and I'd like to consult the literature before saying I feel confident in this - but it seems like educational facilities have been a prime target for mass shootings/killings. We've got this, Columbine, and the shooting at Virginia Tech - all of which come to mind. And they make easy targets for shooters: lots of people in one place, and the facilities are almost always unsecured. I think it's likely far past due for us to realize that the continued vulnerability of educational facilities is unacceptable. We should strive for schools to have the the same level of security as psychiatric hospitals, places of government, and correctional facilities.

To add to Johns statement.

The school my son goes to is locked all day long and no one is allowed in the doors during school hours. It has two sets of doors. First set you can enter into small area then another set of doors. You cant get past the second set of doors without be scheduled to go past. When picking up your kid during school hours you wait in between the sets of doors and your kid is sent to the office then allowed to exit in the waiting area after that. One set of front doors is never opened. If you are going into school you must go thru a side door in between these doors and sign in the office.

I'm speaking from the top of my head here - and I'd like to consult the literature before saying I feel confident in this - but it seems like educational facilities have been a prime target for mass shootings/killings. We've got this, Columbine, and the shooting at Virginia Tech - all of which come to mind. And they make easy targets for shooters: lots of people in one place, and the facilities are almost always unsecured. Schools should have the same level of security as psychiatric hospitals and correctional facilities.

You forgot here in ohio, up in Chardin, that happened earlier this year..

To add to Johns statement.

The school my son goes to is locked all day long and no one is allowed in the doors during school hours. It has two sets of doors. First set you can enter into small area then another set of doors. You cant get past the second set of doors without be scheduled to go past. When picking up your kid during school hours you wait in between the sets of doors and your kid is sent to the office then allowed to exit in the waiting area after that. One set of front doors is never opened. If you are going into school you must go thru a side door in between these doors and sign in the office.

This made me think: you know, it's easier to get access to a classroom at a school where you aren't allowed to be than it is for you to board a plane at Columbus International.

Many of you know that I along with some friends do the toy drive here in Newark called Cruise for Tots. Well, Cruise for Tots and Tuners and Bikes of Ohio are teaming up to collect as many Teddy Bears as possible to donate to the surviving victims of today's tragedy. We will be making the trip to Connecticut to deliver them in the coming days. If you are unable to donate a bear we will accept cash donations to purchase and help us deliver them with. We will accept used bears that are in good shape. Anyone who donates will recieve a Cruise for Tots sticker for free in exchange.

Just wanted to throw this out there. Nick from Tuners and Bikes of Ohio lives in the Columbus area and is willing to meet up with folks there, I can meet people in the licking country area.

This made me think: you know, it's easier to get access to a classroom at a school where you aren't allowed to be than it is for you to board a plane at Columbus International.

True.

I may setup a meeting with the principal and make sure they keep the school locked down and no entrance is easy to get into.

Many of you know that I along with some friends do the toy drive here in Newark called Cruise for Tots. Well, Cruise for Tots and Tuners and Bikes of Ohio are teaming up to collect as many Teddy Bears as possible to donate to the surviving victims of today's tragedy. We will be making the trip to Connecticut to deliver them in the coming days. If you are unable to donate a bear we will accept cash donations to purchase and help us deliver them with. We will accept used bears that are in good shape. Anyone who donates will recieve a Cruise for Tots sticker for free in exchange.

Just wanted to throw this out there. Nick from Tuners and Bikes of Ohio lives in the Columbus area and is willing to meet up with folks there, I can meet people in the licking country area.

Let me know were you are going to be. I will go pick one up tonight and drop it off.

This is a horrible tragedy on many levels. It scares the living shit out of me even more because I have multiple family members that are teachers. My mother was a school principal for years and always told us this was the type of thing that worried her the most. Can you stop this type of thing? No, as long as there are humans on this earth we will find ways to kill each other in senseless ways over stupid things.

God be with these poor helpless children and their families. As well as the First responders whom responded to this horrible and cowardly act.

This is very hard to watch unfold, having a preschooler, a kindergardner a wife who is a 3rd grade teacher and being a first responder myself and having delt with tragedys involving children.

Good god

What is this world comming to.............

While I see where you are going with this, a couple things about this stat; One, there are, most likely, less airplanes flying around at any one time than there are classrooms full of children in America. Second, a plane is, by definition, a higher risk environment than a classroom (unless that classroom happens to be a mechanically powered one that is currently situated 30,000 feet above terra firma and not resting on any type of landmass) and also easily converted into an actual weapon (see: 9/11/01). Thusly, it is both logical and understandable that a plane would be a more well guarded environment than a classroom.