Come debate gun control with me

RedRocket1647545505

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No such thing as a gun "accident". Negligent discharge yes, but no accident. Inanimate objects don't spring to life and do as

If you didnt mean to do it its an accident. Cars dont run into each other without drivers (in most cases) but its still called a car accident..

:gabe:

A criminal is a criminal. They will get what they want by doing whatever they can, lawfully or unlawfully.

This is like saying fast food should be banned for causing obesity. The notion that banning weapons will end violent and widespread killings is completely preposterous.

A man in China killed 20-some people with a knife. Lets outlaw knives as well since people can be killed with those.

Then people will use forks, so might as well ban those.

My point here is this, the focus shouldn't be on guns. From what I've heard (and this all could be hearsay) is that the guy had some form of Autism, whether it be Auspergers or Autism, I'm not sure. I heard his mother owned the guns and took him out to shoot with her and his Mother told people to basically "watch out for this kid."

But yet, why weren't the guns kept completely inaccessible to him?

Maybe this all should be aimed at tweaking some minor bits of laws to where people without the mental capacity to make sound decisions without a firearm, and are proven to be unsafe to themselves like those with a mental disability don't have the access to firearms in their homes. I'm not trying to be funny about this at all, and If my facts are incorrect someone please correct me. But it would make sense in my eyes that you don't keep anything deadly near such a person.

I keep hearing people reference him having an autism-spectrum disorder. (Asperger's disorder is an autism-spectrum disorder.) Yet, autism-spectrum disorders are, to my knowledge, almost never regarded as a significant or relevant risk factor for violence. Certainly not in the way, say, psychopathy is, or threat/control-override symptoms of schizophrenia are, and some of the other "heavy hitters" in the risk assessment genre. What this highlights, I believe, is a general misunderstanding of autism-spectrum disorders specifically amongst the population, and mental illness in general. This, of course, is not the population's fault. However, it is illustrative of a systemic problem, which is that the population-at-large tends to know relatively little about mental illness, especially relative to, say, medical illness. For instance, if I say:

This guy has high blood pressure.

This other guy has diabetes.

And this third guy has ulcers.

Most everyone would have some idea what I'm talking about. And no one would assume any of those conditions would be associated with an increased risk of violence (because they don't). However, if I said:

This guy has a panic disorder.

This other guy a dysthymic disorder.

And this third guy has a childhood disintergrative disorder.

Almost no one would really know what each of those things are, and I'm willing to bet that a bunch of people would assume that each of those disorders is increased with an increased risk of harm toward others (when none of them do).

This illustrates, big-picture, the stigma associated with mental illness. We're far behind the times, and it's past due to devote the resources necessary to educate the masses about mental illness.

Its figured :lol: I used that same rant on somebody on facebook.

I'm pro guns myself. I own enough guns that I think I may be a weirdo.

That makes me feel a little better lol

If my current monetary situation allowed me to get a few more then I would have an absurd amount. I've only got my dad's old AR, hopefully soon picking up another or my CCW and a nice carry piece!

If you didnt mean to do it its an accident. Cars dont run into each other without drivers in most cases but its still called a car accident..

Someone still pulled a trigger, and it had to be loaded. Thus negligence, not an accident.

Noun

Failure to take proper care in doing something.

Failure to use reasonable care, resulting in damage or injury to another.

Someone still pulled a trigger, and it had to be loaded. Thus negligence, not an accident.

Noun

Brian should say at this point that you're arguing semantics. :)

I keep hearing people reference him having an autism-spectrum disorder. (Asperger's disorder is an autism-spectrum disorder.) Yet, autism-spectrum disorders are, to my knowledge, almost never regarded as a significant or relevant risk factor for violence. Certainly not in the way, say, psychopathy is, or threat/control-override symptoms of schizophrenia are, and some of the other "heavy hitters" in the risk assessment genre. What this highlights, I believe, is a general misunderstanding of autism-spectrum disorders specifically amongst the population, and mental illness in general. This, of course, is not the population's fault. However, it is illustrative of a systemic problem, which is that the population-at-large tends to know relatively little about mental illness, especially relative to, say, medical illness. For instance, if I say:

This guy has high blood pressure.

This other guy has diabetes.

And this third guy has ulcers.

Most everyone would have some idea what I'm talking about. And no one would assume any of those conditions would be associated with an increased risk of violence (because they don't). However, if I said:

This guy has a panic disorder.

This other guy a dysthymic disorder.

And this third guy has a childhood disintergrative disorder.

Almost no one would really know what each of those things are, and I'm willing to bet that a bunch of people would assume that each of those disorders is increased with an increased risk of harm toward others (when none of them do).

This illustrates, big-picture, the stigma associated with mental illness. We're far behind the times, and it's past due to devote the resources necessary to educate the masses about mental illness.

I completely understand your perspective here. I know that their are many high functioning Autism and Autism related humans in this world, but their are some that just are unable to make certain sound decisions. I have 2 second cousins that suffer from either Autism or Auspergers, and have 3-4 family friends who have children that do as well, so I am fairly familiar with the struggles that come with it, both for the family as well as the person. I know that Autism doesn't necessarily deem one to have more anger, violence, aggravation, etc. BUT I also do know it is somewhat of a "per-case" situation from my understanding. Not blaming it on his mental capacity entirely, but my main objective in the post was, why would you leave easily accessible weapons to the person in the first place?

I completely understand your perspective here. I know that their are many high functioning Autism and Autism related humans in this world, but their are some that just are unable to make certain sound decisions. I have 2 second cousins that suffer from either Autism or Auspergers, and have 3-4 family friends who have children that do as well, so I am fairly familiar with the struggles that come with it, both for the family as well as the person. I know that Autism doesn't necessarily deem one to have more anger, violence, aggravation, etc. BUT I also do know it is somewhat of a "per-case" situation from my understanding. Not blaming it on his mental capacity entirely, but my main objective in the post was, why would you leave easily accessible weapons to the person in the first place?

Sorry, I should have said that I wasn't responding directly to you, or trying to take you to task for anything. I was just using what you said for a platform for my soapbox. :)

Sorry, I should have said that I wasn't responding directly to you, or trying to take you to task for anything. I was just using what you said for a platform for my soapbox. :)

No need to be sorry I wasn't trying to go toe to toe with you, just was trying to give my reasoning and elaborate a little more on some of my points lol

I think that if people would take a moment to look, the CT shooting is a perfect reason why banning guns is a bad idea.

Facts:

The faculty in that school are law abiding citizens. They did not have guns.

The shooter was not a law abiding citizen. He had a gun.

Making a new law will not change either of those facts.

"But it will make guns tougher to get!"

Look at prohibition or the war on drugs. When something is banned, it remains easy to get for non-law abiding citizens. BEST case, the situation doesn't change.

What if he can't get a hold of a gun? So, what does he do? Does he give up? No. Anyone passionate enough about something to eat a bullet over it, won't give up because they can't get their first choice in tools. Home Depot and Pilot will be the two new favorite shopping places for mass-murdering psychos. ANFO bombs are well within the capabilities of someone like this shooter.

You're area of expertise no doubt. However, in the case of the CT Shooting the mother was an idiot and got what she deserved. The kid was not normal and by more than one account exhibited clear signs of an unstable person. Thus he should not only never have been exposed to guns, left alone to play video games all day nor even remotely had access to her guns.

I'm sad for the whole tragedy of course but in terms of her death....meh.....I won't shed one tear.

Brian should say at this point that you're arguing semantics. :)

More fun not to.

Noun

Someone had to unfold that ladder and put against the house in order for that kid to fall and have an accident.

Accident is also known as the opposite of on purpose.

They are called crashes, not accidents. People that don't want to get sued call them accidents.

Motor Vehicle Accident-

The unintended collision of one motor vehicle with another, a stationary object, or person, resulting in injuries, death and/or loss of property.

You're area of expertise no doubt. However, in the case of the CT Shooting the mother was an idiot and got what she deserved. The kid was not normal and by more than one account exhibited clear signs of an unstable person. Thus he should not only never have been exposed to guns, left alone to play video games all day nor even remotely had access to her guns.

I'm sad for the whole tragedy of course but in terms of her death....meh.....I won't shed one tear.

Yeah, my second soapbox point is that mental health professionals should be empowered - explicitly, by legislature - to have more authority to force those at risk to receive treatment (or to face restriction, such as involuntary commitment). This (as I've said elsewhere) is a delicate subject, however.

Question for everyone: who is the most at risk for being the victim of violence that is associated with mental illness?