1997 LT1 Z28 losing spark after warm

Protection

The mechanic at Firestone told me my MSD coil and wires

Could have possibly drawn too much power away from the distributor and (possibly) be overheating something in there. He recommended that I (A) buy an OEM distributor and smaller plug wires.. Or keep everything I have and buy an MSD OPTISPARK. Auto zone sells a cardone OPTISPARK and a duralast one. I don't have the cash for the 550$ MSD. So I think I'm going to go with the cardone brand and 8mm wires

The mechanic at Firestone told me my MSD coil and wires

Could have possibly drawn too much power away from the distributor and (possibly) be overheating something in there. He recommended that I (A) buy an OEM distributor and smaller plug wires.. Or keep everything I have and buy an MSD OPTISPARK. Auto zone sells a cardone OPTISPARK and a duralast one. I don't have the cash for the 550$ MSD. So I think I'm going to go with the cardone brand and 8mm wires

Best of luck bud. These are not parts you want to cheap out on, you'll just end up doing it again sooner. Why do you think these guys have been saying new OEM?

• 3 weeks later...
Do not buy the msd opti the bearing is crap. Either new gm or a 24x conversion. If were on the topic of shitty oil pumps the lt1 takes the cake with its poor oil pressures. Most lt1s still operate near the stock rev limit and yet still have problems while the majority of ls motors thrive as they operate 600-1200 rpm above the factory rev limit. even if you fix the opti you still have a engine setup too run a weak ass timing chain. Yes you can fix that but then you still have the shitty computer and opti, by the time you fix all the plagues of the lt1 you could have bought 2 or 3 ls swaps or atleast have one really nice setup in the car.

Do not buy the msd opti the bearing is crap. Either new gm or a 24x conversion. If were on the topic of shitty oil pumps the lt1 takes the cake with its poor oil pressures. Most lt1s still operate near the stock rev limit and yet still have problems while the majority of ls motors thrive as they operate 600-1200 rpm above the factory rev limit. even if you fix the opti you still have a engine setup too run a weak ass timing chain. Yes you can fix that but then you still have the shitty computer and opti, by the time you fix all the plagues of the lt1 you could have bought 2 or 3 ls swaps or atleast have one really nice setup in the car.

you missed post #32 son :p

Sooo....I'm a little late to the party to sh!t on the Opti some more? :)

ex-'95 Corvette LT1 owner...you F-body/Impala owners can sukkmahbawls with your 4ft of clearance between the engine and radiator...I even did a DelTeq coil-pack conversion to squeeze as much life out of my Opti as I could. Talk about throwing bad technology at a problem started by bad tech in the first place...