Turbo V6 Mustang

Toph6888

Hello All, New to the site but figured I would go ahead and post up my build that is going on right now.

First off, I bought the car back in 2007 with roughly 90K on it, stock. Its a 00 V6 mustang 5 spd.

Did a couple things while in college, consisting of:

03 gt 8.8 rear axle

Tubular control arms

Aluminum Driveshaft

Cold air intake

short throw shifter

Now that I've been out of school and in my new job for over a year now, I've been building up my parts bin in my basement, consisting of:

94 Supercoupe block (Forged crank, forged rods, buying forged pistons)

Custom grind camshaft

new springs/retainers for higher lift

Windstar upper intake (i know, right? thanks ford for putting the better intake on a minivan vs a mustang)

Ported lower intake/heads

39lb cobra injectors

310lph fuel pump

BA2400 MAF

42% UDP

Custom stainless steel Turbo kit

Tial 38mm wastegate

Tial 50mm BOV

Master power T3 S50 Turbo (Comp 0.50A/R, Exh 0.63A/R)

Ebay Intercooler/piping

Tokico Dspec adjustable struts/shocks

Tokico Lowering springs

J/M Caster Camber plates

Mustang GT Swaybar

Cobra 13" front brakes

Wideband/boost/other gauges

Gforce T5 transmission w/ 26spline input

Cobra 26spline clutch

I think thats most of the parts that I have right now, pretty much waiting on my tax refund to get my engine block machined and everything balanced, once that is all done I'm hoping for the engine to go back in and be running in the car around March.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/67936_10100518481486132_558981470_n.jpg

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/556340_10100518481725652_1991115984_n.jpg

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/294082_10100518482239622_1181187436_n.jpg

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/532424_10100518482339422_1698739261_n.jpg

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/399336_10100518482479142_452832643_n.jpg

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/314656_10100518482653792_418148505_n.jpg

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/418123_10100518482688722_551484993_n.jpg

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

looks like a pretty nice setup. can the manual trans in those cars hold up to the much power?

and i see you have a ported lower intake, is that aftermarket or do you know someone that does it? i tried to have mine done on my firebird, but the guy looked at it and gave up lol

Why 3.8 and not 4.2?

Mainly because I was able to find an engine for pretty cheap. I was always trying to decide between the two, but because the supercoupe came with a forged crank and rods, and I am able to get wiseco forged pistons for $450, I decided to go with that then getting a 4.2L rotating assembly for close to $2000. Also, I like have the supercoupe block because it comes with stronger main caps/main bolts from the factory (I believe that stock mustang 3.8 blocks use 11mm and the Supercoupe uses 1/2" bolts if i remember my numbers correctly)

looks like a pretty nice setup. can the manual trans in those cars hold up to the much power?

and i see you have a ported lower intake, is that aftermarket or do you know someone that does it? i tried to have mine done on my firebird, but the guy looked at it and gave up lol

The stock T5 is good to about 300rwhp, based on others usage from other forum sites. I never tried it really. Most of those guys were drag racers though, so dropping the clutch constantly I could see it getting torn up pretty quickly. I think if you were autocross or dd then it should hold more power. Its the same transmission as the 5.0 foxbodys.

Mine however, which I picked up back in October/November, is from a company called Promotion, which uses the Gforce gears to beef up the trasmission. http://www.gforcetransmissions.com/tran_gt-5.asp

They don't specifically give it a rating, but they do suggest that it will hold upwards of 600hp and 500ftlbs of tq.

As for the porting, I plan to do so myself. My lower intake is super simple, and im just gasket matching it to my gaskets and cleaning up the casting mostly, I'm not really going to go too much into if I don't need to.

What kind of power are you thinking it will make?

I'm hoping that I will be around 400rwhp/tq at around 10-12psi. The main limiting point I have right now is the 39lb injectors, but running through the T5 and with the 42%UDP I think it will make it.

As for what I think it potentially could do, with the right tuning/fuel stuff/turbo others have had these engines as high as 600-650rwhp. But that will be a bit much for me (at least right now). Plus right now I will be using the stock 94 forged Ibeam rods, and if I was going to try to break the 500-600 mark I would want to step up to probably a 4.2 assembly and hbeam rods.

Any particular reason you kept it a v6 and didnt just do a v8 turbo build?

Well I have a couple reasons. The first is its my first car, and I since I bought it as a 6 I kinda wanted to keep it a 6. My next car I have been eyeing a 5.0 foxbody or building a 67/68 if I can find something. So i'll have time for that later.

Also, any v8 that would have been worth putting it would have cost quite a bit. I wouldn't have minded a 4v 4.6l from a cobra or mach, but those don't go cheap. I wouldn't have bothered with a 2v 4.6 from a regular gt (not that its bad, just not worth the swap to me over a turbo)

Next, price wise my 6 is actually coming in under what a v8 would cost me (based on how I see it) The turbo kit was cheap (2000 shipped with fuel stuff) and the transmission/suspension/wheels/brakes are what I would have done with a v8 or a v6 so those don't really count. And I don't have to deal with changing the wiring harness or trying to make things fit. All in all with the turbo/engine/trans/susp/brakes/wheels and the odds and ends and tuning I'll be in it for only about 10-11k.

I know the v8 has the better potential, but this car is mostly just to get my feet wet. I've been doing all the labor myself and just been learning as I go with no real training, just reading forums and manuals mostly. Plus I've never driven anything with this kind of power, so I don't really want to end up with way too much power and then end up with my face in a tree.

I have tuned a couple V6 Turbo Mustangs. 300 to 400 wheel for the cars that I have done.

Cool, I was actually looking at your info earlier today so I'm sure I'll be contacting you later this spring for a tuning session. I'll have a base tune for it, from VMPtuning if you've ever heard of them, but I would love to get it dialed in.

I'm hoping that I will be around 400rwhp/tq at around 10-12psi. The main limiting point I have right now is the 39lb injectors, but running through the T5 and with the 42%UDP I think it will make it.

As for what I think it potentially could do, with the right tuning/fuel stuff/turbo others have had these engines as high as 600-650rwhp. But that will be a bit much for me (at least right now). Plus right now I will be using the stock 94 forged Ibeam rods, and if I was going to try to break the 500-600 mark I would want to step up to probably a 4.2 assembly and hbeam rods.

I had Ford 39lb injectors on my WS6 and I made mid to upper 500s on the kit. I know it's a little different but I think 39lb injectors will be fine for your setup.

Sounds good. I will take good care of you. Feel free to ask about me around here. I believe it will be all positive feedback.

this guy knows his shit. i wouldnt go to anyone else. brian was able to fix a tune that intense racing (used to be big in the GM 3800 world) put in my car at first. car made 25 whp/ 30 tq more after brian tuned it.

I had Ford 39lb injectors on my WS6 and I made mid to upper 500s on the kit. I know it's a little different but I think 39lb injectors will be fine for your setup.

Ya, good to hear. I figured they would probably be enough since cobras throw around the power I'm looking to make with a supercharger as I want down 2 cylinders but with a turbo, but we will see come march haha

In all seriousness, build looks good.

Cant wait till spring I bet!

Ya Ive been nervous the whole way. I'll be building the engine based off of a manual with no real experience, so I'm really looking forward to it and hoping I just don't mess anything up. I've been reading about it constantly for the past 2-3 years and watching all kinda of engine building shows looking for little tips and tricks. I've got a little pocket book full of tips and tricks I've read or seen haha.

So long as it runs I'm good even if it doesn't hit the power I'm looking for. Just to hear it run and run well will be fine to me with the money and time I've put into it.

Ya Ive been nervous the whole way. I'll be building the engine based off of a manual with no real experience, so I'm really looking forward to it and hoping I just don't mess anything up. I've been reading about it constantly for the past 2-3 years and watching all kinda of engine building shows looking for little tips and tricks. I've got a little pocket book full of tips and tricks I've read or seen haha.

So long as it runs I'm good even if it doesn't hit the power I'm looking for. Just to hear it run and run well will be fine to me with the money and time I've put into it.

this is the best way to look at it. i made the mistake of basing what i did to my car off the guy who holds the current cam only record lol. bad idea.

you need to set higher goals than beating a mostly stock 4 banger vw driven by the IT guy. just saying :p

Im not talking about jones lol. Its some guy down in texas that has the cam only 3800 f body record. If i was making jones my goal to beat, id just sell my 383 due to embarrassment lol