Good graphics card for $250ish?

justinwebb

I am working on a new gaming PC, currently have a C2D and a 9800 GT and looking to build a whole new system seeing as how my carpc is now faster than my home PC. I was looking at a 660Ti but was wondering if I should go the ATI route. I dont want to spend a ton but looking to stay around 250-300 i guess. Any suggestions?

I don't think it really makes much of a difference between brands and chipsets as they're all so powerful that any can easily handle games designed for 6 year-old console hardware, which the vast majority are. The stagnation of console hardware has also caused a stagnation in graphics card innovation.

Just get one from a decent manufacturer.

I've got a three year old 1GB 9800GT that runs almost anything on max.. I'm sure whatever card you pick will be more than enough but I would personally go for a GTX 660 (like biggu said) if you can swing an extra few bucks, or a GTX 560 if you can't/don't want to. I hate Radeon.

Engrish mother F'er

psu = power supply unit, it's what the power cord plugs into from the wall, then branches out to each individual internal component (hard drives, cd-rom, motherboard, etc)

http://static.trustedreviews.com/76c0f0%7Cb832_1997-akasa1.jpg

They're rated in Watts (W). Most off-the-shelf computers with like 256MB video cards come with lower-powered 250W psu's. Buy beefier components and you'll need mo' powa.

660ti is IMO the best in the range. I however am not an ati fan but they have powerful cards cheap.

I got a EVGA GTX550Ti for around $140 at microcenter, and it plays skyrim with everything on the highest settings with no FPS problems, only have 4gigs of ram too. The 550ti is a GDDR5 1 gig card.

I was using a 9800GTX+ before my 550ti, and the 550 just blows it out of the water. Its insane how much better the card is.

Also i was reading about these cards before i got mine, a 550 will preform better than a 640 and so on. I originally picked up a 640, came home powered it on, did some FPS testing and reading on the internet and found out the 550ti was WAY better than my 640, so i took it back and got the 550 and have been happy since. Id either get a 660 or a 550. Dont bother with the 640's or 650's, 540's or any of the 400s.

Im assuming you have a 650-700+ watt Power Supply?

Edited by Fubar231

ATI has more powerful cards for that money, but their drivers are fucking terrible. I would get the 660ti. You will be very happy with that, and will not require a PCU upgrade.

I cant stand ATI/Radeon cards. Had one years ago and will NEVER get another again. Never had so many problems with a GPU in my life.

I have best buy gift cards :( I wonder if they price match newegg and the others...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Payment-Pricing/Best-Buy-Price-Match-Guarantee/pcmcat204400050011.c?id=pcmcat204400050011

Buy It Now with Confidence

Best Buy will match the price if you find a lower price on an identical available product at a local retail competitor's store, a local Best Buy retail store or BestBuy.com. Simply let us know when you are making your purchase or during the return and exchange period.

The Guarantee does not apply to: Our competitors' website prices, offers that include financing, bundling of items, free items, pricing errors, mail-in offers, competitors' service prices, items that are advertised as limited-quantity, out of stock, open-box, clearance, refurbished/used items, Deal of the Day items, BestBuy.com Midnight Sale and special hour sale events, BestBuy.com Clearance & More and Marketplace items, and items for sale Thanksgiving Day through the Monday after Thanksgiving.

Justin - I am running an ATI video card and have had great luck with it. I am not happy about the fact AMD (Parent company for ATI) is having financial issues. Would definately look into a NVIDIA chipset and I always point people to Tomsardware for additional information.

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2012-vga-gpgpu/01-3DMark11-C-Extreme,Prix_fpricex200b350,2933.html

I have best buy gift cards :( I wonder if they price match newegg and the others...

They are doing this for a limited time, but not for all products.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/TV-Video/Televisions/pcmcat290300050001.c?id=pcmcat290300050001

Also, the items I was looking at were already on sale for the same price as other online retailers.

psu = power supply unit, it's what the power cord plugs into from the wall, then branches out to each individual internal component (hard drives, cd-rom, motherboard, etc)

http://static.trustedreviews.com/76c0f0%7Cb832_1997-akasa1.jpg

They're rated in Watts (W). Most off-the-shelf computers with like 256MB video cards come with lower-powered 250W psu's. Buy beefier components and you'll need mo' powa.

Thanks brotha, I will learn me 'puters eventually