Debating 2013 STI for DD and AutoX Duty

M0nk3y

With finally getting a job (Just coming out of college), comes time to get a new car for DD and a AWD car. I currently drive and autocross a Z4M (RWD, 2 Door, Doesn't drive in winter)

Company policy requires a 4-door.

So, I was considering the thought of buying a '13 Subaru STI or WRX (don't really know which yet) and modding into STU. Sure as hell would be cheaper and easier to be competitive with that car versus my Z4M (RTR, AS, BSP and possible STR), and I don't have to worry about breaking anything on the M where it would cost twice as much. I would track the car as well (probably only once or twice a year). My thought is that the STI has a diff controller already, BBK, more boost...etc. It would be smarter to invest into a car like that rather than buying a WRX and adding this stuff later on.

The M would just be a weekend and summer car for me.

So anyone with valuable opinions please chime in. I was mainly concerned about the dreaded ringland failure. With an autocross car, and short gearing...I fear bouncing the car off the limiter, and blowing the car. I'm no foreign to stiff suspension. Even though I am on stock suspension with my M, it's progressive rates and torsional body ratings are fairly stiff. Probably will be running AST 4200 or similar suspension.

Going to test drive a STI Saturday, I will hop into a WRX as well probably. Mainly looking at the 5-door, I like them. Not looking to purchase until June-Oct of next year. Just thinking ahead.

Would consider a Evo X. But after I add HID headlights the price skyrockets. Not to mention I have to have leather in order to have heated seats....etc. Still considering this as an option as well.

Please and thank you in advance.

The ringlands issue is a toss-up; on one hand, a good tune will drastically reduce the chance of it ever happening, assuming you follow recommended maintenance, but a tune won't completely eliminate the possibility, and obviously warranty work is going to be hard to press with modded power levels. A stage 2 (downpipe and catback, proper tune) WRX/STi is a nasty daily driver though. Decent on gas, power when you want it, and still well within the 'safe mods' range. Get a COBB AccessPORT and use their preloaded tune, it's ultra conservative.

For what it's worth, there's more horror stories on NASIOC of the EJ257 blowing (STi motor) than the EJ255 (WRX motor), and far more members have the WRX. Also, do note that the stock current-gen WRX dynos within ~10 whp of the STi. You're not losing any straight line speed. If anything, the WRX is slightly faster in a straight line due to less weight. If you drag, it's 3 shifts vs 4 in the quarter mile; WRX kills the STi.

IMO, if you plan on heavily modifying the suspension at all, or changing the power level, save the cash and buy a WRX. If you get the STi, I wouldn't touch the motor at all, just get some sticky tires and gut it out.

I've had a turbo-back exhaust and an intake since 3000 miles, and I've dragged and autocrossed a bit, with obvious trips in Mexico. No issues, and I'm at 25,000 now.

I just bought a 13 STi. I love it. I had an 08 that had cyl 2 and 4 fail. It's was a stage 2 car and wasn't covered under warranty. Long story short I had slow motion build a motor for me and 3 weeks after getting it back I totaled it. I have been in a few car since then and have considered almost any car under the sun and I came back to the STi. What can I say? The car is just all around a great driver.

Reasons I DIDN'T get the WRX;

5 speed slush box shitty transmission

5x100 shitty hubs

Shit brakes

265 shit motor

No SI drive

Shit suspension

I was able to get my STi for $34,000 out the door.

Will never be an STi no matter how many parts you put on it.

I just bought a 13 STi. I love it. I had an 08 that had cyl 2 and 4 fail. It's was a stage 2 car and wasn't covered under warranty. Long story short I had slow motion build a motor for me and 3 weeks after getting it back I totaled it.

I wanted a Subie after school....anndddddd it's gone.

IT'S A COMPANY CAR DOOFUS

Company owned or leased? If so OP should verify the full details. I've had a company car for nearly my entire career and none have allowed a manual tranny. Some will have restrictions on turbo cars and MPG's too.

If it's not titled by the company, they likely won't care.

Kyle, do they dictate how new/old the car must be? Do you have to have a 4 door so that you can haul clients around in it? Because putting full size people in the back of an Evo or STI for a period of time might not win you any favors.

If you enjoy auto-x'ing the Z4M, then why get another car to do it in? Are you wanting to reduce the use of your BMW? You could buy a fun 4-door that is bigger and more comfy and just keep having fun with the BMW on the weekends.

Just out of curiousity, why would the company dictate what kind of car you can own? I figure if your required by the company to own a 4 door car, shouldn't they provide it?

I get compensation and a set number of gallons of gas monthly.

Kyle, do they dictate how new/old the car must be? Do you have to have a 4 door so that you can haul clients around in it? Because putting full size people in the back of an Evo or STI for a period of time might not win you any favors.

If you enjoy auto-x'ing the Z4M, then why get another car to do it in? Are you wanting to reduce the use of your BMW? You could buy a fun 4-door that is bigger and more comfy and just keep having fun with the BMW on the weekends.

I'd rather want it to be new. The company doesn't dictate a specific year, It's just my personal preference.

It's a 4 door to hauling clients, yes. I'm not involved with sales, so I will never do it...but I still have to obey the same set rules. I will mostly be driving out to jobsites with other employees to walk around buildings.

I love autocrossing my Z4M, don't get me wrong. But it will never be competitive, and even if the car is allowed into STR, the cost to mod into STR versus a Evo or STI into STU is much more money. I'd rather be content with beating on a 30k car, versus one that is 55k+ (retail).

Same set of rules apply to track. The EVO and STI already contain BBKs, and other goodies that would be much more expensive to mod on a Z4M. For example, a cat-back exhaust on the Z4M runs around $3k. STI you're looking at a $1k.

Just my personal opinions.

So they are kinda helping you pay for your car then putting gas in it for you? Sign me up! lol. That at least makes sense though, I would go for the evo myself.

You got it.

I will have to add money ontop of it per month because it will not completely cover, but only like $50 if I can get a decent down payment.

After reading more, I'm going towards the Evo as well.

Smokey I've never been in the back of an STI but I've got a ton of rear leg room...Aaron was just rode in the back the other day..I'm sure he will post some "useful" info on here when he crawls out of his hole....OP I say drive both...and what you got against leather? Just curious cause the seats don't get hot in the summer even though they are black and heat up super fast now that its cold..if you are leaning toward an STI I say wait since the new ones are supposed to be revealed/released soon....try to throw the cars around a bit Saturday if you get a chance...slow and steady is a stupid way to test drive these cars

My .02 from real world experience.

I think having an STI or Evo as a daily driver / Auto-x'er, etc would be a fantastic idea. The fact that you get a car allowance and makes either of them relatively cheap to own is a bonus.

HOWEVER, the ///M will get neglected, forgotton and under utilized. You've basically ended up with two cars with similar performance and you'll be hard pressed to find reasons to drive the M coupe other than the nicest days...many of those weekend / nice days you'll be using the other car for Auto-x so the M will sit even more.

When we finally sold our M3 this year one of my biggest regrets in looking back was not actually using it and enjoying it. The M3 never went out unless weather was ideal, it sat there most of the time getting wiped down and being kept in pristine condition but in looking back it was a bit of a waste. It still saw track days every now and then but to be honest most of the driving we did with it in the last couple of years was just my wife driving it to work on nice days. We put 21k miles on that car in nearly 8 years. I really really regret not using it and enjoying it more.

Going back to the reason it wasn't used was we either always has something else around that had similar performance, or had vehicles we didn't mind using in bad weather.

Personally I'd get yourself a nice driver that has a mix of luxury and economy. Put a set of wheels on it, make it nice looking, functional, luxurious enough to put clients in, etc. Make it what it should be which is an oustanding daily driver but not a car that would rival the M as a weekend car. BMW 528, Audi A6, etc come to mind.

Andy

If you are waiting that long, might as well wait a bit longer and see what the 2014 brings, rumor is a whole new STi car.

I heard that Subaru is splitting the Impreza off completely to make it more economy focused while allowing the STi to be a strictly performance developed car, instead of having to make compromises for the average econobox buyer on the plain jane Impreza.