Dremmel mandrels around Columbus

Toph6888

I wanted to start working on porting my heads the other day but the kit I got doesn't have cartridge roll mandrels that fit in my dremmel. I need a 1/8" chuck with a 1/8" pilot of various lengths. If anyone knows where to get them in Columbus it would be greatly appreciated so I don't have to pay $15 shipping on $3 parts

Home Depot on Sawmill had a bunch of Dremel stuff on one of their clearance shelves yesterday. I think there were some sanding drums in there...

Sears Hardware also used to have them along with their own brand of sanding drums, but I haven't looked there in a long time.

I think head porting is too much for a dremmel. I went to harbor freight and bought 15 die grinders at $4.xx a piece and had all my different bits in each one. That way I could constantly change to different bits without actually having to change the bits out of the grinder. And when they do go bad, cause they will, throw them in the trash and forget about it. Go to buckeye carbide for your bits and such.

I would be careful with doing something like that without doing a ton of research. I used to think any kind of porting had to help with airflow, and although it may help with volume, alot of times engineers design things for a purpose. Like my upper intake and throttle body for instance, i also tried to smooth out some areas in those when i did my build, luckily i had only done my throttle body because found out that some of areas i was going to smooth out, were designed to cause i swirl motion with the air into the head. We ran the car with the ported TB vs a stock and you could tell a pretty good difference in favor of the stock one in terms of throttle response.

Cliffs, do your self a huge favor and make sure you know exactly what your getting yourself into before grinding.

Edco tools on Phillipi rd..they have everything for 1/8" and 1'4" mandrel..burrs and cartridge rolls cross buffs etc...as said do your research, bigger isn't always better. and you will kill that dremel very fast porting anything..get a cheap air or elec grinder from Harbor Freight.

I definitely agree removing much metal material at all is too much for a dremel. I've killed two of my own, and my current one really only gets used for wood/plastics.

If you do end up using a dremel, you will notice it gets warm when worked hard. A lot of people are inclined to shut it off, but this just traps the heat. Just quit grinding and leave it running free for a few seconds. The motor spinning without a load actually helps cool it back down.

I guess I should back up the motion that I have done my research on this. I've been reading a couple different porting books/websites/videos and talked to machinists specializing with my engine to get some more real world info. Also i have done a little bit of work with a friends setup on a junk intake to figure out the pressure/ability of the dremmel. Main reason for using the dremmel was bc I already had it and I've seen good results from it so long as not removing a ton of material. ThAt and bc i dont have the money for a compressor set ip right now. I was just asking if anyone knew where to get the mandrels but I already ordered some off line.

I guess I should back up the motion that I have done my research on this. I've been reading a couple different porting books/websites/videos and talked to machinists specializing with my engine to get some more real world info. Also i have done a little bit of work with a friends setup on a junk intake to figure out the pressure/ability of the dremmel. Main reason for using the dremmel was bc I already had it and I've seen good results from it so long as not removing a ton of material. ThAt and bc i dont have the money for a compressor set ip right now. I was just asking if anyone knew where to get the mandrels but I already ordered some off line.

Sounds like your good to go then. A dremmel will work, just make sure you have a few extra bits (can be bought at pretty much any home improvement store) and be patient lol