1993 Supra

miller11386

I have just been thwarted every time I wanted to run the car. Get the car out to SP and the oil control rings fail. When I pull the motor, the clutch has a cracked disc. Order the new disc and start on a rebuild. Struggle to get it in one piece then once all back together, the rear main leaks, coolant leaks at the firewall, along with a shorting injector. Small stuff not working right have kept me from running the car all year. Fairly aggravating. I still have not made it to the track with the car that is literally built to go down the track. Its the cars only purpose

It could be worse. I could be in the Staats boat of blowing up 4 motors in 2 years.

And this is why I stick to budget builds! Something fails-its no money lost, and the time I spend finding ways to cut comers to meet my goals is enjoyable to me.

Once you lose the enjoyment (whatever that may be) then its time to move on.

Did you ever considered turning down the wick? I was looking at Supras last year, and I figured one would be most enjoyable with stock motor/very mild build @800ish whp. You can set it up with he right parts and have a dead nuts reliable car that makes great power and puts a smile on your face every time you drive it.

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And this is why I stick to budget builds! Something fails-its no money lost, and the time I spend finding ways to cut comers to meet my goals is enjoyable to me.

Once you lose the enjoyment (whatever that may be) then its time to move on.

Did you ever considered turning down the wick? I was looking at Supras last year, and I figured one would be most enjoyable with stock motor/very mild build @800ish whp. You can set it up with he right parts and have a dead nuts reliable car that makes great power and puts a smile on your face every time you drive it.

I 100% agree with this.

The problem is my car has "gone too far" to be a street car again without sizeable investment. IE: all my subframe and diff mounts are solid aluminum. Axles and driveshaft are all connected via solid couplers. NVH is insane in this car. Just "tooling down the road" is a migrane waiting to happen. There is no functioning radio, no AC, no heat, I cant hardly stand to be in it more than an hour before my ears ring and my foot is on fire. Its just not made to drive around.

A mild supra with rubber mounts everywhere and simple things would be perfect. Hence why mine is for sale. I would like to start over and go for the "just barely 1000whp, but not a track car" route on say a nice 72mm. Maybe even smaller. I am not sure what id pick right now honestly because its not really an option. My next investment is to stop renting and get a home under my belt, so my money is spoken for at the moment. (which is an equally frustrating experience, but that is a completely different thread)

Bottom line is I didn't buy the car complete. I bought a shell that was missing 80% of the stock stuff and most of the rest was damaged or unusable. Great for a track car build, but not for a street car. This was what made me go the "build all the things" route, which made sense for what I have.

I am sure once I am not pissed off at it again, I will be back at it. It just becomes quite the ordeal and I get frustrated. I have put over 15k in the car this year and driven it 20 miles... probably 3-4 of those were dyno miles or just moving the car on and off the trailer. Not a very good enjoyment factor on the investment.

I know if I had a spare 30k rolling around, I would have a 6266 or 6466 car. Make 600 and just drive it everywhere in the summer and it would make this car a lot more tolerable being in the stable all the time.

I 100% agree with this.

The problem is my car has "gone too far" to be a street car again without sizeable investment. IE: all my subframe and diff mounts are solid aluminum. Axles and driveshaft are all connected via solid couplers. NVH is insane in this car. Just "tooling down the road" is a migrane waiting to happen. There is no functioning radio, no AC, no heat, I cant hardly stand to be in it more than an hour before my ears ring and my foot is on fire. Its just not made to drive around.

A mild supra with rubber mounts everywhere and simple things would be perfect. Hence why mine is for sale. I would like to start over and go for the "just barely 1000whp, but not a track car" route on say a nice 72mm. Maybe even smaller. I am not sure what id pick right now honestly because its not really an option. My next investment is to stop renting and get a home under my belt, so my money is spoken for at the moment. (which is an equally frustrating experience, but that is a completely different thread)

Bottom line is I didn't buy the car complete. I bought a shell that was missing 80% of the stock stuff and most of the rest was damaged or unusable. Great for a track car build, but not for a street car. This was what made me go the "build all the things" route, which made sense for what I have.

I am sure once I am not pissed off at it again, I will be back at it. It just becomes quite the ordeal and I get frustrated. I have put over 15k in the car this year and driven it 20 miles... probably 3-4 of those were dyno miles or just moving the car on and off the trailer. Not a very good enjoyment factor on the investment.

I know if I had a spare 30k rolling around, I would have a 6266 or 6466 car. Make 600 and just drive it everywhere in the summer and it would make this car a lot more tolerable being in the stable all the time.

Give Vlad a call. He may be able to help you unload ti over seas. Honestly, you could sell this car for more than asking if you can get ti to Russia or UAE.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
At the same time no less! :dumb:

Throw in some butts and you have the ultimate errythang video. You will break the internet.

Where is that BTW? Not the same Tunar I see.....

No clearance on the tires in that dyno setup.

Just a local shop in akron. Pro Car Associates. They helped me with a few little things and gave a reasonable rate for dyno time. I only put it on to load the motor and seal up the rings. It seemed to do the job nicely.

Very friendly guys. I was glad to work with them.

• 1 month later...

Havent updated in a while... heres where im heading....

Had the entire car buffed to see what needed paint fixes. As an added bonus, they polished the engine bay up. Looks Purdy now!

10922671_765619313532385_5493272969045752975_n.jpg?oh=6481e3ac4d467d2e49eebe39826553b2&oe=55523D99

10915158_768435099917473_7582761175364461099_n.jpg?oh=533ddcf9f7695e7697c500e492ccb702&oe=556E506E

10926385_770237336403916_7803988671271002590_n.jpg?oh=a85f561347f01ea43aae8c0686b95db9&oe=5552F269

The car was dropped off at the body shop... prepping a few small areas that need improvement for paint. I am excited to get this thing looking proper and not be embarrassed to get photos of it with the black primer roof, dented hood, dented quarter, etc.

10406747_771902059570777_4437485345110680608_n.jpg?oh=5264bc5496906351b9e670601e6c144e&oe=555F1808&__gda__=1432134968_bf4847672fe65a1557a2e56c42a6facb

10246594_773788052715511_3841802916664386579_n.jpg?oh=48a6524e4b8accac4a02a99f32d69e68&oe=5523754C

And as always... gathering parts is a sickness for me.

Here Is one of the latest additions for the 2015 racing season:

10941916_774206839340299_468192872290420596_n.jpg?oh=f12745304889f0fa6bfdc9818e2eb144&oe=556BDFD7&__gda__=1431964672_200383cd0d6dc962835c6b089d357783

I should have no issue with fuel now with this on top of my triple 300s. I just need to mock it up and install it in the existing -10AN line, then she is ready to be turned up to make the 88 work a little bit. Currently limited to 34 psi now due to a lack of corn. Hoping the block holds together and I can get this car where it needs to be power wise. I hope to get some pictures in the spring as well once it is all ready to rock on the new drag pack.

Looks great!

Beige working on it?

Not sure who Beige is. I am having a local shop that has done many of my cars do the paint work. Typically they don't even consider work like this, however they are really slow at the moment, so they took on the job. Gotta love that lifetime guarantee on paint work :)

Love this car.

I want to have one of these or an R32 built badly.

Come buy it!

I will build another one :)

R32 are unique, but parts are a PITA. If I had a GTR id would keep it very basic.

I got the supra because you can find parts everywhere, and there are plenty of companies making and developing parts on the platform even after it has been "dead" in the US since 1998. Its nice to say "wow I need (random part)" and make a few clicks on the web and it shows up a few days later. Even most of the stock parts including interior panels, body panels, etc. can still be purchased new from Toyota.

No clearance on the tires in that dyno setup.

Just a local shop in akron. Pro Car Associates. They helped me with a few little things and gave a reasonable rate for dyno time. I only put it on to load the motor and seal up the rings. It seemed to do the job nicely.

Very friendly guys. I was glad to work with them.

Chris and Chuck are really nice guys, I used to take my car up there and have it tuned by my buddy Steve who works for them from time to time. I saw the car on their fb page and wondered who's supra they was tinkering with.

Chris and Chuck are really nice guys, I used to take my car up there and have it tuned by my buddy Steve who works for them from time to time. I saw the car on their fb page and wondered who's supra they was tinkering with.

Agreed! I wouldn't hesitate to use their services again

• 2 weeks later...
I would assume from the oil filter outlet using the IS300 bolt or a filter adapter.

Kinda what I was thinking. Just different.

Negative. I use the front oil galley. Its where the stock oil pressure sensor goes. I have a Tee fitting out of the stock oil pressure sensor location with my turbo feed going out the top and my oil pressure sensor on the bottom of the Tee.

Seems to work well. Plenty of pressure and it keeps the line away from being heat soaked. Previous owner had this routing, so when I bought the car, I picked up misc parts from him, and this was one of those parts.