car shuts down when stopping

The_buster

Like it says, when Im coming to a stop the car will shut off when I push the clutch in. I'm not sure if its linked to the clutch or if its a coincidence. Also it has issues starting sometimes. I think that may be a cam sensor, but would that cause both issues? Doesn't do it all the time just enough to be annoying, and so far has started back up everytime. Any ideas?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carboned up throttle body or idle air control valve, take throttle body and IAC off, clean, reinstall, report back. Cheap and easy to try and somewhat common on most cars, thats where I'd start.

This is where i would start. Also should check for vacuum leaks if that doesnt fix it, a big vacuum leak can cause the car to stall when dropping rpms.

This is where i would start. Also should check for vacuum leaks if that doesnt fix it, a big vacuum leak can cause the car to stall when dropping rpms.

So could low compression, lack of spark, or clogged IAC valve as Cordell said.

MORE INPUT

You sell parts to people all day and you dont know 1 local guy that will look at it for you since you have no clue about cars

dont want to take advantage of that..

It stalls out mostly on the first mile of driving. sometimes later. If you catch it right you can sidestep(I'd say heel toe but Im not sure i do that right) and bump the gas and it wont stall out. the hard starts are similar to when the cam sensor went out on the altima, just cranks and then eventually fires.

also when someone asks a question I dont know anything about, ill ask one of the managers or see if someone else knows.

Check your compression, fuel pressure, see if your hard start problem goes away when you give the car some throttle (let more air in), and check your plugs. How many miles? Has the fuel filter ever been changed? Air filter? No need to post anything else unless you can answer at least SOME of those questions.

Thats enough of the non-tech bullshit, you guys can keep talking shit in the kitchen.

Buster- don't take part in the bullshit either, and do what I said and report back. Lots of good info in here for you to work on checking, any more questions on how to check something just ask.

Check your compression, fuel pressure, see if your hard start problem goes away when you give the car some throttle (let more air in), and check your plugs. How many miles? Has the fuel filter ever been changed? Air filter? No need to post anything else unless you can answer at least SOME of those questions.

the car has 150ish miles. odometer works when it wants too, same with trip. I've given the car throttle when it has the starting issue doesn't do anything different,sometimes sounds like a backfire. the air filter is a spectre cone one but he cut a hole in the side and there is a sensor stuffed in there, not sure which one. I got new ngk iridium plugs, haven't put them in yet though... :( Fuel filter not sure on, looks oem.

Sister had the same year maxima as you, i looked it over, cleaned the components Cordell suggested and it helped for about a week. Ended up testing the alternator and was getting inconsistent readings on the tests so I swapped it out and it fixed the issue. Drive it to work and hook up the handheld battery tester to it. I'm sure you know but you can test the alternator and starter with that as well.. She had a disconnected vacuum line as well I noticed, but not sure if it was something I did or not.

Good luck regardless.