car shuts down when stopping

The_buster

its black and not tan like if water got in. it is overfull after wiping it off, but when I first pull it out its all the way up almost to the top. Needs changed but with <25hrs a week i cant afford even the 16.99 special we have :( (finding new job in Feb.)

Sounds like it's not only overfilled but quite possibly has a poorly functioning PCV system. Positive crankcase ventilation or lack there of will cause issues wth oil leaks and oil consumption. The part of the vacuum system and PCV valve are important to keep pressure from building up pushing oil out of the engine, very possibly why oil is all the way up the dipstick tube when you first pull it out, and what is helping to ruin your valve cover gaskets.

Keep in mind I said possibly, just speculation from across the interwebs. Just judging by your pics I'd say the car could use a few maintenence items.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn those plugs were messed up. Could you see any oil in the head where you pulled the plugs out? Like sitting on top of them before you pulled them out?

Also this is kinda random, but how does your engine bay look as a whole? Broken connectors / shit not hooked up / hoses laying around?

Does it look like whoever owned the car previously did a bunch of backyard mechanic/hackjob shit? Thats what it sounds like.

Not a lawnmower..lol sounds like one though. At least its still not as bad as the civic.

is it missing at all when it does it? kinda a long shot but i knew someone that had a clogged cat and it made his car do that.

check the cat. i mean if it sounds like a lawn mower and has no power that sound like a good posibility

If you can just undo the flange right before the cat on the exhaust, visually inspect the cat, then go make a run down the street and see if it still does it with the exhaust dumping before the cat. If it doesnt then replace the cat / straight pipe that section.

If you can just undo the flange right before the cat on the exhaust, visually inspect the cat, then go make a run down the street and see if it still does it with the exhaust dumping before the cat. If it doesnt then replace the cat / straight pipe that section.

Honestly I find it much easier to pull the front O2 and see if the car comes to life. However in a lot of cases like this a poor running engine leads to a clogged cat. Even if it is the cat there would still be a good chance that there are other things wrong.

Should I pull both front ones?

You should probably change the oil, fuel filter and clean the maf before you go and try to take apart the exhaust. If this is your daily you should stick to the simple repairs first. That ypipe is a pain to take off and I don't think the cats would cause this kind of issue.

on warpspeed I can get a new y-pipe for $225 and delete the rear cats if thats the problem. or on ebay I can get a ypipe, headers, and a fancy radiator cooling fan combo for 295. would it be better to buy the ebay kit and replace it all or just the ypipe? This is going on if the cats clogged. I was just pricing things.

warpspeed ypipe

http://warpspeedperformance.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/102vqal.262132704_std.jpg

ebay stuff

http://www.dnamotoring.com/speeddaddyebay/HDS-NM95V6+Y+RA-NM95-2+2X10RD+K.jpg