Firearm Auction Thu Feb 7th Portsmouth, OH

Doc1647545523

A friend of mine contacted me and told me he was selling a firearm collection of 185 firearms collected over a 50-year period. The auction will include accessories such as gun cabinets, safes, holsters and the like. It will be a no-reserve auction held at the Elks City Club in Portsmouth.

A complete listing of the firearms and photos can be found here: http://www.auctionzip.com/OH-Auctioneers/39637.html

I'm guessing some prices may run wildly high, but then again, there isn't an overabundance of cash in Scioto County right now, and out-of-state sales aren't allowed, so there may be some bargains.

Enjoy browsing! :)

Doc, who is this seller? PM me if you want.

I actually predict the turnout for this to be rather large. There isn't a lot of money in Scioto County as you said, but those who have money spend it heavy on what they want.

How far of a drive is it? 2hr or so?

90 miles from downtown Columbus, go directly south on US 23

I would leave 2 hrs before you want to arrive. You go through the towns of Waverly and Lucasville, which slow you down. Also, you'll need some time once you're in Portsmouth, although the Elks is only about 10 blocks west of US 23.

Thanks Doc, yeah I just wonder if it's worth the drive or not out there. A lot of guns but I wonder what the advertising is like and how many enthusiasts show up. I hope people empty their pockets fast so I can get something at a good price lol.

Thanks Doc, yeah I just wonder if it's worth the drive or not out there. A lot of guns but I wonder what the advertising is like and how many enthusiasts show up. I hope people empty their pockets fast so I can get something at a good price lol.

Those are good questions, but it's hard to predict the future. Thursday+poor area+bad economy+no out of state sales > current gun enthusiasm ? Your guess is as good as mine

Is there any photos of the guns that we can look online ? Chuck

The link I gave connects you to a listing and also to photos. Here are the photos: http://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/photopanel.cgi?listingid=1673844&category=0&zip=&kwd=

I'm not sure where the city club is but I golf at the elks country club in Portsmouth a few times a year. If I didn't work, I'd go. Seems like it's be interesting to see.

The Elks City Club is at 544 4th Street in Portsmouth. The address and a map are in the link I gave in the original post.

Aren't Elks private clubs? Is this open to the public?

Like so many private clubs with meeting areas, the Elks rent out their hall to the public for events. Yes, the auction is open to the public. IIRC, this is not a HUGE room, so if there's a big turnout, it will be crowded.

I don't want to bother him on a Sunday, but tomorrow I'll call Norm and ask him about the advertising. He and I already discussed how this could be a place for bargains or could be a zoo with bidding fever driving all the prices sky high. I'll post what he tells me.

I wish this was happening on the Saturday or Sunday... I know a large number of people who have stacks of cash and would love to go to this. But a Thursday is not an option and I'm guessing the day of the week will make for better deals for buyers. (And will suck for the seller). Good luck to all who go - be sure to post what you get!

Okay, here's the latest info from the auctioneer:

There will be a preview the day before the auction. Check the website for the times (not decided as of right now).

On Saturday there is a sale from the same estate which contains accessories and ammo. Again, check the website I gave in my first post of the thread.

The auction was advertised on Facebook (400 views), Auction.zip (18,000 hits), on the auctioneer's website, and in the local newspaper.

That's all I know as of now. If there is other information made available to me, I'll post it.

• 3 weeks later...

Stats, in case anyone is interested:

Gun auction had 240 registered bidders, gross was $79,000.

Ammo auction on day 2 (Saturday) had a gross of $72,000.

These numbers were lower than the auctioneer anticipated and he felt that there were numerous great deals for the alert bidder.

Did anyone from CR go?