Who has Ultra TV from WOW?

Buck531

Do you like it? Is it worth it? I'm ready to ditch this POS/slow/old DVR. What do you have and how many devices do you have? I have 1 HD/DVR, 1 HD box, 1 regular box, 15 mb down/1 up interwebs, and the advance or whatever phone. My bill is right around $160.

Crazy improvement over the old box from them. Seriously felt like a 20-30 year jump in technology coming from that old calculator-looking UI.

Had 2 HD DVR's, 50 down/5 up and advanced/whatever phone, was up near $200/mo. Switched to Ultra and it has the gateway (modem/cable box/phone/DVR all in one box) then 2 media players come with it. Does more than the 2 HD DVR's did (2 streams per box vs. 6 streams total with Ultra) and it's a little cheaper actually (think $185ish/mo now).

Likely switching over to Ultra in the coming weeks. Had to work out the details with one of their installers on how to interface with the system while keeping my existing router, etc. as the phone sales guy said I could no longer use mine. Not true according to the installer that replaced one of our DVR's.

Hope to learn more about it all in this thread. Waiting for Rocky to chime in.....

We upgraded and love it. My wife DVR's so many tv shows so she can watch when she wants, typically when I'm watching moonshiners or Duck dynasty I get a message saying I have to switch to one of the 2 shows my wife is dvr'ing. Typically teen mom or jersey shore.

They did make me get rid of my wireless router as it's a all in one deal. Your HD DVR will now send tv shows to that big box modem. I'm not technical so I don't know the specifics of the new modem. But it is faster than the router/ Modem I had before.

For ultra HD DVR, and 2 cable boxes (which are tiny compared to the old silver HD DVR) ours is 105 / month. With the silver box and only one tv we were paying 101/ month.

The games on the tv are stupid, but we like how it categorizes all your tv channels, favorites, hd, non hd, sports, etc.

To sum it up, I am 100% glad I upgraded.

On my first bill it was 120$. After waiting on the phone 20 minutes they didn't drop the cost of the silver hd DVR box. So they dropped that for me since the guy took it.

Only problem I didn't like with the wireless Internet is your username is "wow948263930" or whatever the numbers are. And the password is your account number. So if you have friends over and they want on your wifi, you have to look it up. There may be a way to change this, the installer could not tell me.

They did make me get rid of my wireless router as it's a all in one deal. Your HD DVR will now send tv shows to that big box modem. I'm not technical so I don't know the specifics of the new modem. But it is faster than the router/ Modem I had before.

For ultra HD DVR, and 2 cable boxes (which are tiny compared to the old silver HD DVR) ours is 105 / month. With the silver box and only one tv we were paying 101/ month.

Only problem I didn't like with the wireless Internet is your username is "wow948263930" or whatever the numbers are. And the password is your account number. So if you have friends over and they want on your wifi, you have to look it up. There may be a way to change this, the installer could not tell me.

Good input. I'm going to ask for the installer who came out to help us in December as he was 100% that at the installer level they can insure you keep your router. If I have to ditch it and use their's that will blow the deal. I have two networks running here and I am not going to change to their unit only.

I have full access to mine. Can change all the settings, etc. Made it the same as my old one so people don't have to re-enter info.

I've had it for almost a year now. We have 3 of the media players (Cable Box's) and the Gateway 30down/3up internet and basic phone and it's about 155 a month. I still have my wireless router in place and turned off the broadcast on the wow wifi. It was a little buggy the first month until they ran a bigger cable to the house, after that no issues. 6 streams at once is great after having Insights whole house DVR of 2 per box. You do not have to use the router like they tell you, you can continue to use your own but they will tell you it's unsupported. BS....works just fine.

I limited the DHCP on the Gateway to only issue 5 addresses (due to the MOCA interface being IP based) and turned off the broadcast SSID on the Gateway then hooked up 1 cable from the Gateway to the WAN port on my Cisco router and let it handle all my network traffic. I pull 30meg over wi-fi without a problem.

I'll have to give them a call tonight and see what deal they can hook me up with.

$105 a month? for Two HD boxes and internet/phone? What's the speed of your interwebs Rocky?

Im really not sure on speed of Internet. I'm not on my computer much except for photo work. 105 a month is for the hd DVR box (your main unit that runs wifi and all that) and 2 hd cable boxes. I do not have phone.

I can check when I get home at what my web speed is.

I have full access to mine. Can change all the settings, etc. Made it the same as my old one so people don't have to re-enter info.

I'm sure I have access to change it. But I have not. You only have to enter the password once and it will auto connect each time.

They have up to 50 meg down on UltraTV. I personally have the 30 down 3 up. It's plenty fast.

heck, I think I have the 15 down 1 up and it's fine for me. I don't do much uploading of HUGE files so no biggie. I just am glad to be able to stream 1080 movies with no issue and so far it's flawless. Hoping Ultra is all that it is supposed to be.

heck, I think I have the 15 down 1 up and it's fine for me. I don't do much uploading of HUGE files so no biggie. I just am glad to be able to stream 1080 movies with no issue and so far it's flawless. Hoping Ultra is all that it is supposed to be.

The up speed is nice for photo uploads and remote access also Xbox live. I wish it was 5 but I deal with the 3. The 30 down is nice for streaming HD without much buffering. It's really nice when you want to download stuff too. Keep trying to convince the wife that I need 50....She's not buying it....It's a 25 or 30 dollar difference if I remember correctly.

The only concerns I have were in the initial install I had some issues. It ended up being Signal related with the cable from the post in the back yard to the head in at the house. They installed a much thicker version and was able to get the signal where they needed it. I was one of the first in our area to get it so the installers were not as knowledgeable yet and took 6-8 tech visits until it was fixed.

Of course they credit your account for that kind of stuff. IMHO Wow has the best customer service out of the cable companies in the Columbus area.

Just to chime in again... I have not had to reset the box or had any issues in 3 months. Knock on wood.

I used to reset it just out of paranoia. Now I just let it go. Was a little skeptical when I found out it was "all-in-one" because of how bad the home gateway thing was through U-verse but this thing has been fantastic.

Figured I'd give an update. WOW came out today (about an hour late of the noon to 2 pm window I had set aside).

He was here until 5:15 and we had to leave. Now he has to come back tomorrow and the upstairs TV doens't work. Something about it not seeing the DVR down here. That and my internet is actually less than what it was before. Now it's 10 down and 3 up. I'm sure it's a setting or the DVR box is jacked up. Now he has to come back out at 11 am tomorrow and try to fix it.

That and he didn't put any booties on his feet so now I had to clean up mud he tracked in from outside :(

He wasn't an actual WOW employed person. Some ACI contracting company.