Small to Midsize 4x4 Advice

Bigbird

All I've ever owned is cars, mostly sports(ish) cars. Now I'm wanting something to keep me out of trouble and just kind of loaf around in. I'd like to have 4x4, automatic or manual doesn't really matter, although I suppose the fiance would prefer an auto so she can drive it if need be.

Things I've considered...

Ford Ranger, F150, Escape, Explorer

Jeep Cherokee, Liberty

Stuff like that. Brand doesn't really matter to me, I just wanted to give an idea of size and all that. I know that with a truck I would need an extended cab because I've got 2 dogs (I suppose a cover would work, but just in case I couldn't get one right away).

Obviously reliability is important, and the lower the maintenance cost the better. These things considered I've kind of leaned towards a Ranger (assuming my dogs could fit haha). I'd also like to stay around 10k max, but definitely wouldn't mind spending less. I just know nothing about trucks and the like, so I figured I'd ask you guys for some input. Thanks.

Don't know what your monetary limit is or what years you're wanting.

Of course, I've got to throw the RAV4 out there. It's important I mention we chose it because nothing competes with it in its class in almost every category not because we're fans of any maker in particular. (Wasn't even our first choice when we started.) Seriously, if Toyota were any better at advertising, everyone would drive a RAV. haha

Don't know what your monetary limit is or what years you're wanting.

Of course, I've got to throw the RAV4 out there. It's important I mention we chose it because nothing competes with it in its class in almost every category not because we're fans of any maker in particular. (Wasn't even our first choice when we started.) Seriously, if Toyota were any better at advertising, everyone would drive a RAV. haha

Hard to find a nice one under $10k otherwise I would totally agree with you