Need new summer tires for the STi

SpaceGhost

That's a very open question, what are your goals/intended purposes for summer tires? Does your driving style even necessitate them? If you're not AutoX'ing, tracking, hitting up Hocking Hills, etc, and most of your miles are on the work commute, I honestly would not bother.

Necessary spiel aside, if you want really fun tires, check out the new Star Spec ZII, or the soon to be released BFG Rival.

Given you aren't likely to autocross/seriously track the car regularly, I'd suggest the Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

Great tire, great turn in, great grip, and remarkably great wear.

As stated above, beyond that, you'd probably have to provide details on how you plan on burning them off. :)

I have 2 sets of wheels so yeah summer tires are needed, not looking to race. It's a daily. But like Jones said I would like good turn in, and longer wear would be nice. The stock Dunlops lasted like 15k miles. Tire rack rates them badly and most say "would not buy again" and I agree. I'd also like good hydroplaning resistance.

I see some tires being suggested here but I don't know the lingo, so full tire name with brand is appreciated.

I have 2 sets of wheels so yeah summer tires are needed, not looking to race. It's a daily. But like Jones said I would like good turn in, and longer wear would be nice. The stock Dunlops lasted like 15k miles. Tire rack rates them badly and most say "would not buy again" and I agree. I'd also like good hydroplaning resistance.

I see some tires being suggested here but I don't know the lingo, so full tire name with brand is appreciated.

I thought my suggestion was quite clear, but I'll help:

MICHELIN PILOT SUPER SPORTS

Jones I had a set of Michelins on my civic SI in 2000, and they would spin horribly in the rain. I hated them. Are those better? Any experience in wet conditions?

Dude, go to tire rack, plug in your car, and do some research.

The PSS's are a great tire, we are talking summer rubber, not the OEM crappy tires from what, 13 years ago now?

I've been licking my chops, and had my fingers crossed for serious rubber this year.

None of the new 2013 hot sauces are coming my size though.

Prob gonna have to stick with AD08's or something for the TTRS.

A4 will probably get the PSS's due to their long wear, but relative awesomeness.

Gonna hit up Derek when the weather is a bit better WOOT WOOT.

I liked my Bridgestone Re-11s on my last STi. Looks like they can be had in my new size too. But may want to try some Michelins. The Dunlops scare me as the Dunlop SP Sport 600s that came on the car lasted less than 2 summers. I think my Blizzak LM-60s will last through next winter for a 4th winter.

I liked my Bridgestone Re-11s on my last STi. Looks like they can be had in my new size too. But may want to try some Michelins. The Dunlops scare me as the Dunlop SP Sport 600s that came on the car lasted less than 2 summers. I think my Blizzak LM-60s will last through next winter for a 4th winter.

Nothing wrong with RE-11's at all, they are actually a pretty aggressive tire you could autox and do some light track duty with. If their bit of road noise doesn't bother you (I could care less) then go for it. A good competitor in that area is also the Yoko AD08.

Seeing as you are probably running 18's you could probably get in on the new hotness this year:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Dunlop&tireModel=Direzza+ZII

Or the new BFG Rivals:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force+Rival&partnum=05WR5GFR

The RE11, AD08, ZII, And Rival are all more aggressive tires geared towards Autox and more serious duty. Wont last as long as say the PSS's with their 300 TW rating. Depends if you want more longevity, or more ultimate grip/fun.

Mmmmm come on springtime.

My favorite is a tire category that can be called "semi slicks". Michelin Pilot Sport Cup is my C6 Z06 street tires and Pirelli PZero Corsa was my C5 Z06 street tires. In the past, I've used Falken RT615 for one of my M3s and at one point I was considering Toyo R888, Kumho ECSTA V700, and Victoracer for C5 Z06 street tires. Hoosier, Kumho V710, and any true slick are sweet, sweet overkill.

However, with an AWD, ultimate grip becomes less important. Nowadays, I would actually pick something less grippy. Something that's quiet and rides nicer. Top of the line from big brands like Michelin, Pirelli, Bridgestone, and Sumitomo should suffice.

The SP Sport 600's are garbage, my Mom's car has those as OE tires, they are not even in the same league as the Star Spec. However, you seem to be on the right track with your choices so far.

My favorite is a tire category that can be called "semi slicks". Michelin Pilot Sport Cup is my C6 Z06 street tires and Pirelli PZero Corsa was my C5 Z06 street tires. In the past, I've used Falken RT615 for one of my M3s and at one point I was considering Toyo R888, Kumho ECSTA V700, and Victoracer for C5 Z06 street tires. Hoosier, Kumho V710, and any true slick are sweet, sweet overkill.

However, with an AWD, ultimate grip becomes less important. Nowadays, I would actually pick something less grippy. Something that's quiet and rides nicer. Top of the line from big brands like Michelin, Pirelli, Bridgestone, and Sumitomo should suffice.

This is for Ben, no slicks here bro.