Mazda Miata

Exodus

For the love of preferred holy being, do not buy an automatic Miata. Looking beyond that, engines and transmissions on stock/lightly modified cars are stout, look for rusty body panels/undersides, if it's all-original, consider updating key suspension/chassis bits.

The cars are super reliable, and parts are cheap. They made a ton of these cars and they really didn't break, and any of the cars from 90-05 are so similar underneath most parts are plentiful and cheap. When looking at them be more concerned with cosmetics like the top and rust then miles. It'll all depend on how well the car was maintained, they can go super cheap to pretty pricey for an old car that wasn't very expensive to begin with. Keep in mind that a lot of these cars didn't see much bad weather, and there are a few different special editions so the price range can seem high for some but there is a Miata out there for any budget.

Thanks guys, I am looking at one tomorrow possibly two. I want to go because 5sp its all i'm used to, however having an auto would be more convenient for my gf to drive as well. One I am looking at it lightly modded and the other is completely stock with 30k less miles than the other with no rust.

Thanks guys, I am looking at one tomorrow possibly two. I want to go because 5sp its all i'm used to, however having an auto would be more convenient for my gf to drive as well. One I am looking at it lightly modded and the other is completely stock with 30k less miles than the other with no rust.

Fuck that, you will hate yourself if you get an auto, plus it will be good to teach her to drive standard better (which I think should be required to get a license)

Fuck that, you will hate yourself if you get an auto, plus it will be good to teach her to drive standard better (which I think should be required to get a license)

You are right, she should learn, but doesn't want to lol. The 5sp one has the rust and is slighty modded with 30k more miles, but maybe I will hold out for another miata. Driving a car thats not stick just isn't the same.

It will take her all of a couple days to fall in love with a 5spd. Seriously. Drive an auto and you'll hate it in a few hours.

If you happen to go look at a 90 or an early 91 Miata, I suggest reading this as well: http://www.miata.net/garage/crankshaft.html

I will also add that an automatic Miata is a bad idea. It completely removes the fun of the car, and yes, I have driven one to confirm. It's an option that Mazda should NEVER have offered for the car (RX7 included). Good luck with your search. If you really want one, I suggest waiting it out for the one you want. They are fantastic cars.

If you happen to go look at a 90 or an early 91 Miata, I suggest reading this as well: http://www.miata.net/garage/crankshaft.html

I will also add that an automatic Miata is a bad idea. It completely removes the fun of the car, and yes, I have driven one to confirm. It's an option that Mazda should NEVER have offered for the car (RX7 included). Good luck with your search. If you really want one, I suggest waiting it out for the one you want. They are fantastic cars.

Good call on the crankshaft. If I do get a 90 or 91 and its an extremely good deal, I may just buy it and replace, but will keep an eye out.

Thank you

Try to verify when the timing belt was last changed.

Automatic Miata's are "cool" because my Grandma buys them. She currently has an '08 auto that she loves to death. It's not that bad for someone who doesn't want to drive a manual. You can still flog the car in a rewarding way, just not as rewarding as a 5 speed. Obviously the manual is more fun to me, but it's not for everyone.

Try to verify when the timing belt was last changed.

Automatic Miata's are "cool" because my Grandma buys them. She currently has an '08 auto that she loves to death. It's not that bad for someone who doesn't want to drive a manual. You can still flog the car in a rewarding way, just not as rewarding as a 5 speed. Obviously the manual is more fun to me, but it's not for everyone.

Sean, the automatic Miata should only ever be purchased by a left leg and/or right arm amputee who really wants to have a Miata (for whatever reason).

Dude, please tell me your grandma autocrosses. That would be :fuckyeah: status.

I currently own a 94 Miata, I must of got the short end of the stick with mine. I bought one with 90K for a great price. Bought it on a Friday, autocrossed it on that Sunday, fun but was not up to par with the other Miata guys. So obviously something didn't seem right, the car felt ass slow and was down on power. Long story short, motor was junk, had water marks in the cyl head. I wound up doing a complete engine rebuild on it.

The car was rock solid Florida car except it had front and rear bumper paint fade. Honestly, I would probably hold out for a car with a good body and worry less about the motor. Body work is a lot more than motor work. I found out the hard way.

<excuse the grammar it's sat. and it has been a long day>

p.s. I would never think about owning an automatic. You might as well just buy a Fiesta.

Edited by Chief8one

I love the evolution of the Miata..when these things first came out they were certainly at 0 of not negative cool points. Now that they have come down to easy to find prices and so many have survived in good condition they almost have a class unto themselves in racing. Pound for pound you would be hard pressed to find a car that's as pure fun as these. Obviously I agree with all the previous posts about the automatic, these things have the spirit of a sports car and as such should only be stick..IMHO

One of the other nice things about these cars as an autox aren't the tires pretty damn cheap compaired to everything else that came with 17s+? So if you are planning on ripping up some rubber with it, at least its financially responsible rubber costs!