Any Golfers? Favorite Courses.

Geeesammy

Favorite Public Courses in Ohio?

Feel free to post private as well. Mainly looking for input as I am planning on getting out a lot more this year.|

My top three in no order are as follows

1. PipeStone Golf Club

http://www.pipestonegolf.com/layout9.asp?id=253&page=10604

Nice layout, tremendous upkeep. Played many rounds here in high school. Always seemed to enjoy myself, never too crowded, and it is a great price for what you get.. Near Dayton.

2. Cliffside Golf Course

I am somewhat biased on this one...No website, not really known of too well. A family run venue, it's been around since '74 and we always had practice here in school. Just outside of Dayton, 27 holes. Has a 'top 9' that is flat and open, Par 4's and 5's with only one Par 3. The bottom 18 you literally walk down the side of a cliff to get to (hence the name), very nice 18. Great layout, always has been well maintained, plenty of trees, and not too easy. A nice challenge for most average handicapped players.

3. Boulder Creek Golf Club

http://www.bouldercreekohio.com/?view=featured

Only played here three times, over three days for a father-son tournament. Me and my father both agreed this was the best course we had ever played. We were fortunate enough to play there at the changing of the season, which made it even better. Definitely was worth the drive. Located about 30 minutes northeast of Akron.

My main course last summer was Glen Ross. It's less than 10 years old so its pretty open and plays fairly short. It's a nice well kept course and great for moderate amateur golfers. My best last year was an 80 there, typically would shoot mid 80s.

Also if you can afford it, try out Kinsale. It used to be strictley private but I know they made available tee times for the public last year. Amazing course.

I played pipestone when I had my clubs down here. I love that course.

The best one in Cleveland I played was at Canterbury GC during a tournament. What an awesome course. Private, and probably expensive.

I can't think of any others right now, but my experience is limited in the Cleveland area.

I love Minerva off Cleveland Ave because it's cheap, rarely busy, and there isn't even any sand in the bunkers, just overgrown grass.. or at least as of 2008 since the last time I went there. I'm the world's second worst golfer (my dude holds that title) so that's a big plus for me. My dad just hooked me up with a new set of clubs I've been meaning to break in, so I'd like to get out this Summer.

I play at New Albany links every week. Its a semi-private course, and its a BITCH! If you don't drive perfectly straight you will lose a ball on each hole probably. I also like Bent Tree. Sunbury golf course if VERY challenging and would be an awesome course, but it isn't kept well at all, its basically in a farmers field, but the design of the course is awesome

I know this is slightly off topic, but I know theres a few golfers here on cr, maybe some of us could get together and go golfing (maybe if theres enough interest set up a scramble type tournament or something). Personally, I'm horrible at golfing, but I still enjoy it. I'd like to get a new set of clubs and go this year anyhow if people would be interested.

I play at New Albany links every week. Its a semi-private course, and its a BITCH! If you don't drive perfectly straight you will lose a ball on each hole probably. I also like Bent Tree. Sunbury golf course if VERY challenging and would be an awesome course, but it isn't kept well at all, its basically in a farmers field, but the design of the course is awesome

that was my home course in high school. the State sectional was at NA Links we beat the 2nd place team by the 30 strokes. If you dont know the course you can easily lose a ball a hole like you said. I can hit a 3-4-or 5 iron off the tee and score just as well there. (a couple holes you need a driver esp w/ the wind.)

I am in for some CR golfing this summer!

I've played most courses around the city (private and public) with a few exceptions (Muirfield, Double eagle, The Gofl Club, Scioto... the only ones i havent played that I want to) and my favorites are Columbus Country Club (tight and short), Tartan Fields (amazing shape, so well-manicured), and Brookside is simply stunning.

Kinsale and Scioto Reserve are fun. but i'd not join. Little turtle is a good course as well. Worthington Hills is a nice course for what it is. Hickory hills is pretty good too. somewhat challenging.

For other courses that rock... If you every have the chance to play Canterbury in Cleveland DO IT. that course is simply amazing. Also, Springfield country club is the single most fun course i have ever played (short and tight, lotta tree lines).

Down in Cinci there is Oasis and Hyde Park... two great courses. Hyde Park is simply amazing golf. A lot of winding hills.

Anyone a member of the Lakes? Contemplating joining this year.

PS - whoever can get me on The Golf club or Double Eagle will be handsomely rewarded.

I know this is slightly off topic, but I know theres a few golfers here on cr, maybe some of us could get together and go golfing (maybe if theres enough interest set up a scramble type tournament or something). Personally, I'm horrible at golfing, but I still enjoy it. I'd like to get a new set of clubs and go this year anyhow if people would be interested.

i'd love to do a scramble outing. maybe 4 teams of 4? if we could find 16 people.

i'd love to do a scramble outing. maybe 4 teams of 4? if we could find 16 people.

In for that!

I worked at The Golf Club for 4 years! DID NOT KNOW what I had at the time! I sure wasted alot of possible rounds out there. I am still able to get on once a year though through friends. Only course I can think of that I have not played local is Double Eagle.

As far as joining the Lakes, I believe there is a deal if you join you get reciprocal benefits at Jefferson CC and some others. The deals change everyday you just have to go in and talk to the right person, every club has been giving individual custom memberships.

When are you getting me in, bagel cock?

In for that!

I worked at The Golf Club for 4 years! DID NOT KNOW what I had at the time! I sure wasted alot of possible rounds out there. I am still able to get on once a year though through friends. Only course I can think of that I have not played local is Double Eagle.

As far as joining the Lakes, I believe there is a deal if you join you get reciprocal benefits at Jefferson CC and some others. The deals change everyday you just have to go in and talk to the right person, every club has been giving individual custom memberships.

Can you get me and a friend into TGC? we will pay you.

I've played most courses around the city (private and public) with a few exceptions (Muirfield, Double eagle, The Gofl Club, Scioto... the only ones i havent played that I want to) and my favorites are Columbus Country Club (tight and short), Tartan Fields (amazing shape, so well-manicured), and Brookside is simply stunning.

Kinsale and Scioto Reserve are fun. but i'd not join. Little turtle is a good course as well. Worthington Hills is a nice course for what it is. Hickory hills is pretty good too. somewhat challenging.

For other courses that rock... If you every have the chance to play Canterbury in Cleveland DO IT. that course is simply amazing. Also, Springfield country club is the single most fun course i have ever played (short and tight, lotta tree lines).

Down in Cinci there is Oasis and Hyde Park... two great courses. Hyde Park is simply amazing golf. A lot of winding hills.

Anyone a member of the Lakes? Contemplating joining this year.

PS - whoever can get me on The Golf club or Double Eagle will be handsomely rewarded.

You would really rather join the Lakes than Kinsale? What is your thought process on this one?

Whats the reward for a round at either course? :)

-Marc

John McConnell can get you into Double Eagle :lolguy:

I just picked up golf last year but I've been lucky in that it comes somewhat naturally to me. Favorite courses and impressions:

Minerva Park is great for beginners because they're relaxed and there's no sand and minimal water. It's not a particularly nice course so you won't feel bad playing slow. Also, because of the way the course is designed, you play 10 holes on the front instead of just 9. Great value.

Turnberry GC in Pickerington is the gem of Columbus municipal courses. Absolutely the best kept public course in Cbus IMO. Good prices, too.

Raymond is closest to where I live, and it's challenging to me but I'm not a huge fan.

Winding Hollow is the first place I ever golfed and gat dayum it's difficult. Lots of trees will have you tearing your hair out, but it's beautiful and, in the summer, you can usually walk 9 for $10/person if you know how to talk to the cart boys after the pro leaves.

Willow Run is the best deal in the area (near Pataskala). Weekdays after 1pm, all you can play with a cart for $20. On a good day, I've gotten 30 holes for $20. Not a very challenging course, but nice and open and it's usually very quiet. Great place to play if you're a beginner, since you can play just the holes that you want to practice.

Kyber Run in Johnstown is the last course I played this past year. Being a relative beginner, this was INCREDIBLY challenging for me because I'd never played anywhere with such elevation changes. I caught on pretty quickly and really enjoyed my round there.

Bridgeview GC is only 9 holes but it was enjoyable and easy to get to.

Gahanna's 9-hole course is pretty much the same. Completely flat, which I don't really like, but it's easy to get a quick round in there.

I'm definitely in for a CR Golf Day.

Two years ago me and about 10 friends had a "Gentleman's Day" scramble. Wore the old school attire and all. Had a freaking blast, played at Pipestone GC. I would love to get something going, I think it would be assloads of fun. I just went to Four Seasons down in Bexley this weekend...found my new hangout spot until warmer weather hits :grin2:.

I've been considering getting a membership somewhere this year, just not sure where, I know Clover Valley's "cheaper" option is about $500, which is a pretty good value IMO from how the course looks online. Only about 30 minutes from my house, and less than that from my work.

My buddy does a Natty Open every year; 2 man scramble, and for each beer your team consumes you knock 1 stroke off your score. Every year there's a "pro" team that only drinks a half dozen beers trying to stay sober and posts a 70something. The winners usually post in the 50s, shooting an 80something and polishing off a 30 rack of Natty light.

And yes, Natty is the only beer you can use. Thats the challenge.

You would really rather join the Lakes than Kinsale? What is your thought process on this one?

Whats the reward for a round at either course? :)

-Marc

Kinsale is far away from my house. In a city this size... Ideally, you would find a club you like within 5-10 miles from you. Plus, Kinsale's course wasn't amazing to me. The eucalyptus room however, was ... great amenities.

Sunbury is fun for sure, but as said it's a shit hole. Cash only as well (as of last time I played) which I thought was weird for a golf course.

Wish I could even walk the greens at Double Eagle, considering I live 2.5367 minutes away.

Kinsale is far away from my house. In a city this size... Ideally, you would find a club you like within 5-10 miles from you. Plus, Kinsale's course wasn't amazing to me. The eucalyptus room however, was ... great amenities.

What's not amazing about Kinsale? Are a member at Murfield? Lol

My buddy does a Natty Open every year; 2 man scramble, and for each beer your team consumes you knock 1 stroke off your score. Every year there's a "pro" team that only drinks a half dozen beers trying to stay sober and posts a 70something. The winners usually post in the 50s, shooting an 80something and polishing off a 30 rack of Natty light.

And yes, Natty is the only beer you can use. Thats the challenge.

I need to try this.