Dodge Ram Typical issues

mrs.cos

We are looking at adding a Truck to our arsenal again, and Nathan has settled on a Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 5.7ltr

We'll be buying used so other than the typical kicking of tires, what are issues that they tend to have in the years between 2004-2010.

We haven't bought anything other than a subaru in a LONG time, let alone american. (last american car we had was my 2003 F150 bought new)

Rust in the bottom portion of the doors is the first one that comes to mind.

In the 04-10 Ram trucks? Maybe bedside on the 04's but I have never seen doors rot out.

They are very good trucks, isnt there someone on here still selling one?

I would stick with 06+ I havent seen them with many rust issues at all. The 5.7 is a great engine, driveline is pretty solid.

If you plan to tow a lot I would install a trans cooler.

My 04 ram had no rust at all, it was a great truck.

If you can do it, go with the 09+ 2009 + Rams with the 5.7L all come with the MDS. It was a rarely selected option on the earlier years. So far with my 09 the only thing I have had go wrong was the front tie-rods. But everything was covered under warranty.

My 06 has MDS. It does what it's supposed to do and adds a little mpg, but sounds like complete fail if you have a louder exhaust when it kicks down to 4cyl.

I've owned my 06 4 door 4x4 w/ 5.7 for something like 30k miles (now 60k). I've done brake work, an EGR valve (5 minutes), and a rear speed sensor (5 minutes).

It and the other Rams I've owned hasn't required any more or less maintenance than all the other brands I've had.

06 was the all around remodel, so 04-05 are dated IMO.

An issue with one nut coming loose is cause to say shitty rear axles?

"One nut"??? :lol:

When it's an axle pinion nut that backs off, and the pinion decides to become more intimate with the ring gear causing major mechanical failure......

YUUUUUUUUUUUP!

Shitty rear axle.

03-05 had a worse interior, and the "smaller" headlights.

06-08 had the larger headlights and new taillights, along with an interior revision. Definite improvement in interor, though still no luxury car.

5.7L drivetrain is largely the same from 03-08.

09-current are significant improvement in every way. MUCH better interior, hemi gets more power, and coil sprung rear end for a better ride and less trucky handling.

Honestly, if it were me I'd look for clean low mileage 07-08 truck, because they are slightly devalued since the current generation's release. I have an 07 and like it a lot, though mine is not a gas motor. They represent the end of the 03-08 gen trucks, so it could be said that any bugs that may have existed were pretty well worked out.

Dodge MDS is a fail. Everyone I know that has it, has disabled it. Not something I would want.

I quite enjoy getting 23 mpg on the highway fully loaded with 5 adults. Vs the 18 mpg you would get if it doesn't have it. I wouldn't consider that a fail. But to each there own. Guess it depends on what you are using the truck for

My 06 has MDS. It does what it's supposed to do and adds a little mpg, but sounds like complete fail if you have a louder exhaust when it kicks down to 4cyl.

To prevent that, you need to get a longer muffler and leave the resenators in. I run a Magnaflow 24" muffler and it is pefect. Most have the issue if you are going into the 18" mufflers.

Transmission

I can't really comment specifically on the Hemi Ram trans, but if you're saying this as a sweeping generalization like "Dodge transmissions suck" I would refer you to my 318 Dakota that went 250k+ before losing 1st gear.

Are there specific issues with the 04-09 Ram transmissions?

I can't really comment specifically on the Hemi Ram trans, but if you're saying this as a sweeping generalization like "Dodge transmissions suck" I would refer you to my 318 Dakota that went 250k+ before losing 1st gear.

Are there specific issues with the 04-09 Ram transmissions?

I'm no expert by anymeans, But I know of 4 friends/coworkers who have had signifcant trans issues in their Rams. 3 of the 4 had total rebuilds before the 100k mile mark 2 of those were 1500's other was a 2500. the 1500's were both 05's and the 2500 was an 06. The 4th one was a 1500 04 and at 42K miles the converter failed. I know these 4 people well, and in talking with others at work i was told of someone else who had a 3500 Ram that had a trans rebuild at just past 100k miles i think he said 104k replaced with another trans from the dealer and it failed at 155K miles. This was a later model Ram as well Not exact on year, but he's a contractor and puts alot of miles on it. He's on his 3rd and it seems fine now, they said he's around the 172K mile mark on truck now.

I know all vehicles have their issues, just passing along friends experiences. Not sure if theirs a maint fix that can prevent these issues or what, Kinda like the EGR Deletes on the 6.0's or changing the coolant on GM's when they were eating gaskets etc.

Top 2 issues I see through the shop from these trucks are outer tie rod ends and front wheel bearings. Although Ive also noticed that most modern fullsize trucks seem to tear up front wheel bearings regardless of manufacturer. Ive been told that the trans issues were mainly from the earlier 2000's trucks and that the mid- later years were alot better but, like rocky said, most issues are due to lack of maintenance. I plan on picking one of these trucks up myself in the next year or two.