Tire Experts?

99StockGT

The time as come to reshoe one of the rides and tire tech is one thing I am NOT really up on so as always, I brought it here. 245/50 R16s are the size in question, not a very common tire size. Right now I am looking at the Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval Indy 500s or the BF Goodrich g-Force Super Sport A/S.

Looking for speed rating somewhere north of 160. Cost isn't a huge issue but I'm also not looking to drop anything crazy on a ride that doesn't get much road time. Wheels are the factories and are going to stay that way so no wheel/tire combos... any idears?

I run the Super Sport A/S on my E39 during the summer and blizzaks in the winter. I have these tires because the PO had them on the car when I bought them. They are ok, I have no complaints about them so far. I have the M3 when I want to hoon with Star Specs.

Why do you need a tire that goes north of 160?

The only type of weather this thing deals with is sunshine, maybe the occassional bout of rain as we run it back to the garage so it doesn't have to handle anything exciting. Speed rating typically you are going to get a much more aggressive/well built tire when they are rated higher. Not that I would ever intend to do such a speed (unless at a flying mile) but it's always good to have just in case :)

I have bought many tires in the 245-50-16 because its what fits my Camaro. Most tires in that size will have a good speed rating, and if you're not racing on them most will work fine. I've got Sumitomos on the car now simply because they work decent, were cheap, and ride good. I would buy Toyo Proxes 4s again, as a matter of fact thats what is on my Miata currently, it's a good predictable tire for the money. I had a set of BFGs that weren't a great performance tire but they rode good.

Having had many tires, I have sold tires, I work on cars, and even race from time to time I feel like I have a clue. Honestly you need to decide what your biggest factor is. Performance, price, tire life, looks? In that size when you aren't going to drive it much it doesn't matter much, though I would get something that isn't going to ride like shit. Hence why you'd never get me to buy a Firestone, Bridgestone, Goodyear, or Continental. People will argue that those companies make good tires, and certain tire models aren't bad, but most of them suck. Toyo is one of my favorite brands, but if it's not a performance tire they are shit too.

Okay I'm done ranting.

Honestly looks, ride and grip would be the only real qualifiers. Ride not such a big deal, price nothing crazy but I'm also not looking for some walmart specials. A nice aggressive looking pattern, won't send me off the road in the rain and I'm happy.

Honestly looks, ride and grip would be the only real qualifiers. Ride not such a big deal, price nothing crazy but I'm also not looking for some walmart specials. A nice aggressive looking pattern, won't send me off the road in the rain and I'm happy.

Well given those parameters and the lack of things in that size, I stand by my recommendation of Summitomo P01 A/S, and the Toyo Proxes 4.

I tend to go with narrow-purpose tires, i.e. summer tires for warmer months, winter tires for colder months, and slicks for decimating cones.

Unfortunately, that size is really an oddball. The only summer street tire I would pick from TireRack lineup is the Goodyear GS-D3 and I actually have experience with it. However, price of admission is quite high.

If the size could be changed to 255/50/16, there are several DOT-R (for drag and road-course duties) choices for less than the GS-D3 in 245/50/16. Toyo R888 would be my choice for a streetable road-course tire, or if the car would see drag duty, there are some choices for streetable drag radials.

I checked Nitto and Vredestein, none carry 245/50/16 in their summer lineups.

I tend to go with narrow-purpose tires, i.e. summer tires for warmer months, winter tires for colder months, and slicks for decimating cones.

Unfortunately, that size is really an oddball. The only summer street tire I would pick from TireRack lineup is the Goodyear GS-D3 and I actually have experience with it. However, price of admission is quite high.

If the size could be changed to 255/50/16, there are several DOT-R (for drag and road-course duties) choices for less than the GS-D3 in 245/50/16. Toyo R888 would be my choice for a streetable road-course tire, or if the car would see drag duty, there are some choices for streetable drag radials.

I checked Nitto and Vredestein, none carry 245/50/16 in their summer lineups.

There is nothing wrong with performance all-seasons Tom. He wants real performance tires he should buy 17 inch rims.

Goodyear GS-D3 = A great tire if you get a set that can be balanced.

I didn't have balance problem with mine.

There is nothing wrong with performance all-seasons Tom. He wants real performance tires he should buy 17 inch rims.

I have no real knowledge of all-suck, although I suppose it's hard to go wrong with Michelin Pilot A/S Plus.

Unfortunately this little truck runs an odd size tire, hence why I figured I would post and get some opinions. Unfortunately back in the good 'ole days 17s weren't the standard and I want to keep this thing bone stock all the way down to the wheels and tires. Unfortunately Firestone doesn't make the EXACT Firehawks that came on it stock.

Winter it spends hibernating, summers it spends going on little jaunts to the lake to go fishing or to car shows for people to scratch their heads over. It IS tempting to put some streetable slicks on it just for the pure entertainment factor of it, but ...again...the stock/unmolested thing.