'04 WRX needing 100k service and slight upgrades

99StockGT

So, typical 100k service coming up on a friends completely stock WRX and he's finally thinking about a little bit of upgrading. Very price conscious person so bang for the buck is paramount here. Noticing a trend here that I have "frugal" associates?

Timing Belt, Water Pump, new plugs, all the normal things you would do but what gives the best seat of the pants fun to the car without making it obnoxious as a DD? I know the exhaust on this model is a 2 cat system, is it an issue switching to a single cat from a later model?

Let's set a limit of $700 for go fast parts as the other maintenance parts will eat up the rest of his budget. Hopefully this is just the start of his toying with the car.

CAI + Downpipe + some sort of single cat back system?

I know the DP with my stealth certainly helped out, unfortunately I did it with several other upgrades at that point so hard to say exactly what I got out of just the pipe. I was hoping some Subie folk were up this early...calling Mr. I own 3 Subies and nothing else...

forgive my ignorance but the midpipe on these is that 1 of the cats or is that a resonator? I had looked at one point for exhaust on this thing and it looked like other generations were a single cat system. Anything would need to be a direct fit as I'm sure neither of us is all that free with time

forgive my ignorance but the midpipe on these is that 1 of the cats or is that a resonator? I had looked at one point for exhaust on this thing and it looked like other generations were a single cat system. Anything would need to be a direct fit as I'm sure neither of us is all that free with time

If his WRX is an '04 then he has 3 cats. One in the up-pipe (replace it with a catless UP from an STI or other 2.5L turbo Subaru for best spool) and two in the downpipe.

So, typical 100k service coming up on a friends completely stock WRX and he's finally thinking about a little bit of upgrading. Very price conscious person so bang for the buck is paramount here. Noticing a trend here that I have "frugal" associates?

Timing Belt, Water Pump, new plugs, all the normal things you would do but what gives the best seat of the pants fun to the car without making it obnoxious as a DD? I know the exhaust on this model is a 2 cat system, is it an issue switching to a single cat from a later model?

Let's set a limit of $700 for go fast parts as the other maintenance parts will eat up the rest of his budget. Hopefully this is just the start of his toying with the car.

CAI + Downpipe + some sort of single cat back system?

CAI is the worst mod in the world for your car. Stock airbox will make 300whp all day long.

You really need to do the uppipe before the stock cat in the uppipe eats your turbo up

Here's the best mods.

Uppipe / Downpipe / tune

anything else won't make much of a difference with a td04/ej205

Midpipe on wrx is 2.25in ID. Midpipes on STI and 06+ Wrx TRs are 2.5in ID. There is no cat just a resonator on the midpipes.

Mid pipe made 0 difference in power in my previous testing. The catback only became a limiting factor when I switched from the stock turbo to a STi turbo. At which point adding a catback picked up 20whp.

At 100k is it about time to talk about turbo going? I've always been of the opinion when replacing a stocker that just for a little more...we could upgrade..so is it that time? If we are doing UP/DP mid-pipe tune on stock cat back how much sound difference is there? He's having to keep the wife happy during the project (at this point) so not looking for something highly different than stock. Starting to look like I'm going to have to follow the advice of the CR folk on this with the pipes+tune...scary