Backup camera...via android?

Berto

I have been playing with the idea of making an either permanent mount or temporary mounted camera (with magnet or clip) that I could put on the rear of my truck when I back up to trailers.

Unless I'm doing it all wrong the only way I know is have someone with you anytime you need to hook up to a trailer or get in an out of your truck 30 times.

I know there are plenty of system that you can get aftermarket that have a separate screen or can even replace the rearview mirror and have a screen built in, but I don't want that. The only time I really need it is when I seldom hook up to a trailer.

I was hoping to maybe find a small camera I can hook up with my nexus or android phone (if I ever get one) via bluetooth, just so I can line up the ball and hitch.

any thoughts.

I have been playing with the idea of making an either permanent mount or temporary mounted camera (with magnet or clip) that I could put on the rear of my truck when I back up to trailers.

Unless I'm doing it all wrong the only way I know is have someone with you anytime you need to hook up to a trailer or get in an out of your truck 30 times.

I know there are plenty of system that you can get aftermarket that have a separate screen or can even replace the rearview mirror and have a screen built in, but I don't want that. The only time I really need it is when I seldom hook up to a trailer.

I was hoping to maybe find a small camera I can hook up with my nexus or android phone (if I ever get one) via bluetooth, just so I can line up the ball and hitch.

any thoughts.

I have the go pro hero 3 and the android app has a live preview. It has a slight delay but would work.

They sell kits for around $50 that have a camera and screen.

I don't want to wire up a whole ordeal just for the few times I hook up to a trailer a couple of times a year Just hoping for a quick and dirty solution.

I'll look at the GOPRO. Didn't wan to spend the money on the GOPRO3 but might be a good solution since I can use the gopro3 for other stuff.

Maybe I need to be more specific. I don't want to install another monitor. Whether with wires, light poles, electromagnetic induction, worry about changnig batteries. I don't want the look of an aftermarket mirror or ugly monitor on my dash. I just want a camera that I can somehow display on an android compatible unit/screen, since I already have one of those and it will be charged.

Thanks for the input though.

I don't want to wire up a whole ordeal just for the few times I hook up to a trailer a couple of times a year Just hoping for a quick and dirty solution.

Maybe I need to be more specific. I don't want to install another monitor. Whether with wires, light poles, electromagnetic induction, worry about changnig batteries. I don't want the look of an aftermarket mirror or ugly monitor on my dash. I just want a camera that I can somehow display on an android compatible unit/screen, since I already have one of those and it will be charged.

Thanks for the input though.

I guess the easy cheap way would be with jasons idea and can be all put away easily (since its wireless).. since its only for a "a couple times"

im sure they make something that you can watch on your phone via blue tooth but it will have a delay and probably cost 2 times as much as the stuff posted above..... just seems silly but good luck

Head over to Hazard Freight for $10. I know they are dorky, but a lot of people use them and swear by them.

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/370x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_13492.jpg

http://www.harborfreight.com/magnetic-trailer-alignment-kit-95684.html

Head over to Hazard Freight for $10. I know they are dorky, but a lot of people use them and swear by them.

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/370x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_13492.jpg

http://www.harborfreight.com/magnetic-trailer-alignment-kit-95684.html

Tried them. Honestly don't know any real truck those work on...they don't telescope high enough to clear the tailgate. Maybe the set I got was damaged but they just would not clear the tailgate on a full sized truck, I returned them.

Tried them. Honestly don't know any real truck those work on...they don't telescope high enough to clear the tailgate. Maybe the set I got was damaged but they just would not clear the tailgate on a full sized truck, I returned them.

I have a set of those and they extend to about 3.5 feet or so. but I had to get 3 sets to get a good one. The glue use to hold the ball on gets down inside on some and they won't extend.

You're probably best off buying a kit somewhere. I doubt Bluetooth has enough bandwidth to transfer any good quality video in real time. Your best bet is probably finding a web cam that can transfer over BT and put it on the truck when you need it.Check out WO Webcam.

This what you're looking for?

http://www.looxcie.com/

This place has a ton of bluetooth cameras. I'm not familiar with the site but figured it may be a starting point.

http://www.lightinthebox.com/Popular/Bluetooth_Mini_Camera.html

Otherwise, I'd give MicroCenter a call or something and ask about Android compatible wireless cameras.

I've never felt I needed a backup camera but if I did and wanted to do it on the cheap, I'd breakdown an old phone and repurpose it for this. No, it wouldn't be wireless, but once the wiring was extended and hidden within the trim, you wouldn't know anyway. You could always store the ph0one itself in the center console or even wire it with a small harness near the phone so you could still disconnect and store it wherever.