Any small engine guys on here? 5hp tecumseh

Browning

Picked up this 1976 roto hoe tiller for $20 a couple days ago. Guy wanted $40 but couldn't get it started so he told me give him $20 if I still wanted it. Got it home and it fired on starting fluid and sounds good. Problem is the carb is very gummed up. He just ran fuel out of it instead of using stabil.

Besides tearing down and cleaning the carb out with carb/choke cleaner, and changing oil is there anything else I should do? If I can't get it all cleaned out I'll be ordering a carb kit for it.

http://i.imgur.com/QCXh0in.jpg

Old small engine carbs are real pains. Theyre junk.

I found some new ones online from $80-100 and I guess some are updated and do away with the adjustments and are supposed to be pretty much tinker free. Figured it's worth getting this one cleaned out and seeing how it does before getting a new one.

this is another option but this motor sounds great when I had it running on starter fluid. So if I can line out the carb it'll be a great $20 tiller lol

I had an old tractor that had a gummed up carb. I took it off and sealed it in a bucket of gas for a few days. It worked good enough after but never was "right". A buddy helped me rebuild it properly and it ran like a top after that.

Try soaking it sealed in a container of gas for a few days and see if it'll work well enough for ya, otherwise you'll need to completely disassemble and rebuilt it.

Change oil

Change spark plug

Clean air filter

Replace rubber fuel lines if degraded

Inspect drive belts for damage or wear. Replace if.

Bonus: Tear carb down and clean it.

Dont forget to oil/grease up the blades.

I had an old tractor that had a gummed up carb. I took it off and sealed it in a bucket of gas for a few days. It worked good enough after but never was "right". A buddy helped me rebuild it properly and it ran like a top after that.

Try soaking it sealed in a container of gas for a few days and see if it'll work well enough for ya, otherwise you'll need to completely disassemble and rebuilt it.

I did this with one off an mtd mower but used kerosene instead. Worked great. I tore it completely apart though so that probably helped

Change oil

Change spark plug

Clean air filter

Replace rubber fuel lines if degraded

Inspect drive belts for damage or wear. Replace if.

Bonus: Tear carb down and clean it.

Dont forget to oil/grease up the blades.

belt looks like it still has some use to it. Greasing the chain was going to be my next question. There's a removable plat to access the chain as you can see in the pic/ Would grease that used for ball joints and such be fine?

belt looks like it still has some use to it. Greasing the chain was going to be my next question. There's a removable plat to access the chain as you can see in the pic/ Would grease that used for ball joints and such be fine?

Use Tri-flow on the chain. Haven't had much luck finding locally, you could try calling some bicycle shops. Or order it on Amazon

I did this with one off an mtd mower but used kerosene instead. Worked great. I tore it completely apart though so that probably helped

I only broke mine down to the more major components because I didn't have replacement gaskets. Didn't want to take the chance of ruining one and not being able to get it back together.

Use Tri-flow on the chain. Haven't had much luck finding locally, you could try calling some bicycle shops. Or order it on Amazon

never heard of it

I only broke mine down to the more major components because I didn't have replacement gaskets. Didn't want to take the chance of ruining one and not being able to get it back together.

I'll take my chances. Found a rebuild kit for $9 shipped on ebay for the carb and some gaskets cheap on another site. Decided to reroute the exhaust so it's not blowing back at me but not sure if I'll wait til later in the year to do it or right away

check out jackssmallengines.com

Excellent site for small engine parts. Depending on the model you can get brand new carbs there for $60-$80. I've used them for a few things and have always been happy with the parts, price, and service.

check out jackssmallengines.com

Excellent site for small engine parts. Depending on the model you can get brand new carbs there for $60-$80. I've used them for a few things and have always been happy with the parts, price, and service.

I'll check it out, thanks

put a little Sea Foam in the carb, itll clean it up. Check to make sure its getting gas from the tank to the carb

Best course of action will be tear it down and clean it thoroughly, maybe even rebuild it since it's cheap to do

Took it apart, cleaned it out. Wasn't as bad as I assumed it would be but the needles were gummed up and rough. Got it back together, made some adjustments and it fired up but the rpm's kept raising up and down. Adjusted it to smooth it out and tried the tines out. All works well but seems like it should dig a little faster. Not sure if it needs adjusted a little more or not. I just messed with the adjustment under the float bowl which I think is for high rpm's.