Feinstein: Reid excluded the assault-weapons ban from Senate gun bill

JaronsToy

Feinstein: Reid excluded the assault-weapons ban from Senate gun bill

POSTED AT 9:21 AM ON MARCH 19, 2013 BY ED MORRISSEY

No one expected the assault-weapons ban proposed by Dianne Feinstein to pass as part of the Senate’s gun-control package. Now it won’t even be a part of it. Last night, Feinstein told reporters that Harry Reid had excluded it from the final version of the legislative package:

Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) said on Monday that a controversial assault weapons ban will not be part of a Democratic gun bill that was expected to reach the Senate floor next month.

After a meeting with Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) on Monday, a frustrated Feinstein said she learned that the bill she sponsored — which bans 157 different models of assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition magazines — wouldn’t be part of a Democratic gun bill to be offered on the Senate floor. Instead, it can be offered as an amendment. But its exclusion from the package makes what was already an uphill battle an almost certain defeat.

“Almost certain defeat”? Left on its own as an amendment, Feinstein’s bill would be lucky to get 35 votes. She knows it, too, which is why she vented her frustration:

“My understanding is it will not be [part of the base bill],” Feinstein said. “It will be separate.”

Asked if she were concerned about the decision, Feinstein paused and said, “Sure. I would like to [see the bill moved], but the leader has decided not to do it.”

“You will have to ask him [Reid],” she said, when asked why the decision was made.

Do we need to ask? Reid can be accused of many things, but he’s not clueless when it comes to the politics of guns. Reid wants to pass a bipartisan bill to expand background checks, and he’s more than willing to sacrifice Feinstein’s effort to get it, especially since Reid was never enthusiastic about the renewed AWB in the first place.

This way, he gets two wins. First, using Feinstein’s proposal as the extreme of the effort, the background-check legislation looks more reasonable, even where it may not be. Second, by allowing Democrats in red states to vote against the AWB in a separate floor action, he protects them from attacks in the 2014 election. It’s a win-win for Reid.

It’s more of a mixed bag for gun-rights advocates. Depending on whether the Senate bill includes federal registration of all firearms, it’s a big loss — but that has absolutely no chance of passing the House anyway, and Republicans in the Senate won’t have any reason to stick around if it does. If it doesn’t, it’s more of a headache than a problem. The upside will be the outright rejection of the AWB, which should stick a stake through its heart for another decade after politicians who took the risk to demand it ended up with egg on their faces.

No surprise here. If moderate-leaning Dems want anything more than an AWB, it's to be re-elected. The Feinsteins of Congress can lean as far to the left as they want because the fuckwads who elect them do the same.

Now tell 'Merika to ease up on the panic buying.

Things have already dropped pretty substantially at least you can find mags, AR15's, etc. Now its just finding someone that didn't pay 2-3x for it and want to get that back out of it.

A lot of good deals to be had from standup distributors like PMA, AIM, Midway, etc. They just don't last long.

Important to note that just because the AWB is not in this first bit of gun legislation doesn't mean they are done talking about. They will likely push a AWB in a separate legislation.

I wouldn't expect prices to drop anytime soon. Now that the hysteria is coming to an end people will still want to stock up, just in case.

I'm not. I give it at least 6 months before there's any sign of letting up.

Define irony: Liberal Dems want sweeping gun legislation; can't get it. As a result of pushing for it, they've managed to pump thousands of new [assault :dumb:] weapons, thousands of "high capacity clips", and millions of rounds of ammunition into the public's hands. F'n hilarious. :dumb::dumb::dumb:

• Upvote 1

Define irony: Liberal Dems want sweeping gun legislation; can't get it. As a result of pushing for it, they've managed to pump thousands of new [assault :dumb:] weapons, thousands of "high capacity clips", and millions of rounds of ammunition into the public's hands. F'n hilarious. :dumb::dumb::dumb:

The only thing more funny is pointing this fact out to liberals, you can actually see the smoke come out of their ears...

More like millions of magazines. Considering at least at one time Magpul had a back-order of supposedly 1 million magazines just for them. So then you add in all the companies making USGI mags/clones, Tro mags, Promags, Tapco's, etc...

But yeah it is hilarious I cant wait to see actual concrete statistics on how many more background checks, how many AR15's where sold, mags, etc.

I'd say the firearms industry probably saw its biggest percent increase in a single season ever...

universal background checks is still too much and needs defeated, it's still too early to celebrate

Agreed. From what I've read, the only true way to implement UBCs is through complete registration, which isn't going to happen. I'm not toooo concerned at this point that it will fly either.

I can't figure out why everyone is buying up all the 22LR ammo, as if it's going to be taken away or something...

taters :dumb:

I'm just guessing because the prices for everything have gone up, everybody is having the same bright idea to shoot 22 on the cheap. Then everybody scrambles.

I can't figure out why everyone is buying up all the 22LR ammo, as if it's going to be taken away or something...

taters :dumb:

Seriously. Even canada allows 22LR semi auto weapons. (get bored read there gun restrictions)

A place in a nearby town whose name I wont use. Was charging 108 dollars for a brick of 22 LR.

Taters make my head hurt....

Seriously. Even canada allows 22LR semi auto weapons. (get bored read there gun restrictions)

A place in a nearby town whose name I wont use. Was charging 108 dollars for a brick of 22 LR.

Taters make my head hurt....

Fuck that. Taters gonna Tate