Soldier complains Christian values forced upon him by the military

Disclaimer

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha ha! So was my husband and that is where I got it from. But, srsly, I can't test your knowledge over the internet, cause like BUSA said, you can use google. :D

well, not with some generic question about the fundamentals of calc, but with a difficult question that you can solve...and I can't...

And there's the problem. So just suck it up and ignore that fact that your first amendment rights are being violated?

I have this agrument ever time I ride in the car with my wife and she puts on the Christian radio station...she goes to church' date=' I don't. I don't like listening to that music and agrue with her that its not right to make me listen to it. Eventually we just turn the radio off :D[/quote']

he's crying cause he wasn't allowed to leave a place where people were praying.... that's like a kid asking to be excused from a test because people around him are praying... it's freakin retreded...suck it up it'll be over in a minute... it'd be like going to a public place and hearing someone pray for whatever then running over and telling them to shut up.... what rights are violated??? he's at the discretion of his superiors in the military... it goes both ways mang!!

he's crying cause he wasn't allowed to leave a place where people were praying.... that's like a kid asking to be excused from a test because people around him are praying... it's freakin retreded...suck it up it'll be over in a minute... it'd be like going to a public place and hearing someone pray for whatever then running over and telling them to shut up.... what rights are violated??? he's at the discretion of his superiors in the military... it goes both ways mang!!

Wandering into a public place and overhearing praying is much different then being forced to listen to it. I always hate being at the ceremonies and when they do the whole "let us pray" thing and all Soldiers must bow their heads... the only good thing about our Chaplin was he would state to pray to your god of choosing if you did not want to follow along. I 'am a superior in the Army and would never force any religion on my troops, if they asked to leave the area respectfully I would let them. Instructing them to observe for it to be over from a distance and then return for the activities. No one, Soldier or not, should have any religion forced upon them.

Has anybody read "The Age Of Reasoning" by Thomas Paine.

Shows that you can believe in god without accepting mans interpretation.

OY don't even get me started on the flaws in paine's reasoning...

his arguments have more flaws than aquinas'

Wandering into a public place and overhearing praying is much different then being forced to listen to it. I always hate being at the ceremonies and when they do the whole "let us pray" thing and all Soldiers must bow their heads... the only good thing about our Chaplin was he would state to pray to your god of choosing if you did not want to follow along. I 'am a superior in the Army and would never force any religion on my troops, if they asked to leave the area respectfully I would let them. Instructing them to observe for it to be over from a distance and then return for the activities. No one, Soldier or not, should have any religion forced upon them.

I agree.... I don't think anything was forced upon him.... he wasn't told to pray also, or agree with what was being said, only thing he was forced to do was stand there.... thats all I'm saying..... no where in his complaint was it said he was forced to participate in the prayer....

I agree.... I don't think anything was forced upon him.... he wasn't told to pray also, or agree with what was being said, only thing he was forced to do was stand there.... thats all I'm saying..... no where in his complaint was it said he was forced to participate in the prayer....

flip it...

how would you feel if you were forced to stand there while a group of muslims prayed around you, every day? and you were ridiculed for not believing the same as them?

you can only be forced to put up with so much...you wouldn't feel uncomfortable?

flip it...

how would you feel if you were forced to stand there while a group of muslims prayed around you, every day? and you were ridiculed for not believing the same as them?

you can only be forced to put up with so much...you wouldn't feel uncomfortable?

and as a soldier uncomfortable is a way of life.... but actually like I stated I was harassed by protestant D.I.'s for being Catholic.... And I dealt with it and moved on.... I've been to all kinds of religious services, including Muslim, and I never felt that because I didn't follow that particular faith that I shouldn't be there or uncomfortable.... and again I go back to it was a freakin BBQ... not a chuch service... how bad could it have been???

Why are soldiers even praying to begin with, to a very specific god in this case, when they have taken an oath to defend a SECULAR republic? I don't recall that Jesus dude being mentioned in our Constitution at all. We are NOT a christian nation, we are a republic with alot of christians. I would be kicked out of the service for sure if this shit is going on. I don't get into it with the christian's and their slave god unless they refuse to leave me alone about it. Then the gloves come off...

I agree.... I don't think anything was forced upon him....

If he was not permitted to leave then it was most definetly "forced upon him". And I'm sure there were many many many more times like this than just this BBQ.

don't be afraid to piss people off..... sometimes people need that to get thru the day cause they have boring and useless lives.... having an opinion is fine as long as you don't "slam " someone else for having a different one....

+1 It's fun AND educational.

sure... if you call lying to a child before they have critical thinking skills "planting a seed":D

+100 Brainwashing children with lies about the boogey man is akin to abuse. :nono:

It is a matter of planting a seed, watching curiosity grow, and moving on from there...so Christianity involves planting a fir tree seed in a guys lung, then watching our curiosity grow...OH wait...sorry...wrong forum for the fir tree!

I think I said this. Are you making fun of me...BEN! :mad:

I'm saying that if the procedures he's being 'forced' to participate in are' date=' in fact, military protocol then he needs to shut up and do his duty.[/quote']

That is not what I asked.

Do you think this is proper?

My current Chaplin is Muslim, he holds, and teaches, what ever faith the individuals in our unit seek out. He does profess he is a Muslim. I have served in the Military for many years and in some units, not all, it is forced just to listen.

Being forced to even listen to a faith that you do not agree with is not becoming of a military leader in my opinion. This “suck it up” attitude does not fit if you look what you joined for. Just because you are protecting another persons freedoms does not mean you should lose your own. Never have I EVER seen a written SOP for mandatory prayer at any event, it is more tradition. I pray in my own way during these events, ignoring the Christian words from most Chaplins.

As stated before, I would never force a Soldier to stay at prayer if he felt he/she needed to step away, I would allow it. He/She as earned the same rights that they fight for, they don’t need to “suck it up.”