Soldier complains Christian values forced upon him by the military

Disclaimer

My kids dont believe in Santa Claus. Dont want them to have huge disappointment when they find out there is no such thing. They wont be disappointed with believing in God.;)

That is your opinion. Personally, I have an issue with telling children what to believe. They should be afforded the right of making up their own minds. Present both sides to them so they are able to make their own decisions when they are old enough.

Creation vs. Evolution is a perfect example (not trying to go off on that tangent). If a child asks which is true, how about in an UNBIASED manner...

Some people believe in creation and here is why...A, B, C

Some people believe in evolution and here is why...A, B, C

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yet, we have proof of neither. So I don't understand how you can differentiate between the two?

Justin, we've had this debate enough that you know what I believe. I know what you believe. So let's not :beathorse:again.

That is your opinion. Personally, I have an issue with telling children what to believe. They should be afforded the right of making up their own minds. Present both sides to them so they are able to make their own decisions when they are old enough.

Creation vs. Evolution is a perfect example (not trying to go off on that tangent). If a child asks which is true, how about in an UNBIASED manner...

Some people believe in creation and here is why...A, B, C

Some people believe in evolution and here is why...A, B, C

You're right, it's my opinion. And they are my kids so I get to teach them as I please.

And FWIW, they have been taught that the Busa is the greatest bike ever built. All others are "sissy bikes":bitchfight:

Why not? I'm on lunch break - lets hash it out again. That was kind of the purpose of the thread. It's a touchy subject to a lot of people, I'm frequently bored, and am interested in how different people approach subjects like this.

What's the worst that could happen? We have a discussion and we get enlightened to new ideas or concepts? I'm skeerd.

It's just tough to argue an infallible, unproven concept. Take the Santa vs. God we got going on here. You (and I use that term in the general sense, not personal) take the term God and it has meaning. Santa is another concept that has meaning, though in a vastly diminished capacity relative to God. Yet, both forms are typically represented as omnipotent men that bear gifts in your life (one literal, one figurative, but the concept is what matters) in exchange for you being "good".

So, here's where it could get offensive to some that lack an open mind to discuss this...

Taking that concept, why can't I copy the Bible into MS Word, do a Find+Replace "God" with "Santa Claus"? Why wouldn't that have the same meaning? Except the contention is one is real, one is not. They serve the same purpose of servitude to some cause. One for kids to be good, the other for adults. It's basically having kids graduate from believing in Santa Claus (not real) to God (real).

And even when kids are bad, they still get Christmas presents, just like even the most hardened criminals can have salvation. There is an abundance of parallels in this case and yet, one is make-believe and the other is not.

Edited by JRMMiii

The whole proving thing is iffy. If you believe in something, then your heart will be in it no matter what it is. I look at God like the wind...you can't see the wind, you can't touch the wind, but you can feel the affects of the wind. That is how I feel God. To each his own. BTW, BUSA, my kids don't believe in santa either. I told them Santa was a real person, and now he is buried in Germany somewhere pushing daisies. :)

If I was this guy's SGT.. I would have bitch slapped him and told him to get a grip...it's a freakin BBQ!!!

And there's the problem. So just suck it up and ignore that fact that your first amendment rights are being violated?

I have this agrument ever time I ride in the car with my wife and she puts on the Christian radio station...she goes to church, I don't. I don't like listening to that music and agrue with her that its not right to make me listen to it. Eventually we just turn the radio off :D

The whole proving thing is iffy. If you believe in something, then your heart will be in it no matter what it is. I look at God like the wind...you can't see the wind, you can't touch the wind, but you can feel the affects of the wind. That is how I feel God. To each his own. BTW, BUSA, my kids don't believe in santa either. I told them Santa was a real person, and now he is buried in Germany somewhere pushing daisies. :)

/compare god to wind. although you can't "see" the wind, it does have measurable, repeatable, and proven effects...

In the words of Morgan Freeman "God is nothing more than an imaginary friend for grownups"...

If you can't measure it, detect it, or prove it, it isn't there...

all arguments that attempt to prove the existence of a deity are :broke:

and all arguments that attempt to prove the existence of a "specific" deity, be it one of the christian forms of god, allah, quetzacoatl, zeus, odin, the FSM or the IPU are completely :broke: and become arguments of ignorance instead of arguments of knowledge. "god of the gaps" is becoming increasingly smaller.

It's definitely not a difficult task for a reasonable person to lay waste to any credibility any mythological book might have if you take it for face value. This includes all versions of the bible, the qu'ran, torah, all books of zeus, thor, ra, etc...

I don't know why I feel compelled to argue religion, it's such a waste of life...

Thus, Science will have your soul then. Believe whatever your heart tells you :).

Soul? What am I, James Brown?

and the problem is that my heart does no thinking...my brain does the thinking...

if you shut off your brain, your heart doesn't take over, other people's brains do...

I respect your right to believe whatever you want. That's your right, and you deserve it.

Whatever reasons you believe what you believe...are your reasons.

I don't feel compelled to respect the beliefs themselves...but I'll defend your right to believe them.

THIS is exactly why arguing religion is a waste of life (to me)... chances are pretty much nil that anything I have to say will change your mind, especially in a single conversation. And if I DO change your mind, I just caused you to lose something that makes your life worth living (to you)...

Lose-Lose situation

I WILL argue policy, and it's BAD policy to force this soldier to be subjected to pressure of religious dogma...

I respect your right to believe whatever you want. That's your right, and you deserve it.

Whatever reasons you believe what you believe...are your reasons.

I don't feel compelled to respect the beliefs themselves...but I'll defend your right to believe them.

THIS is exactly why arguing religion is a waste of life (to me)... chances are pretty much nil that anything I have to say will change your mind, especially in a single conversation. And if I DO change your mind, I just caused you to lose something that makes your life worth living (to you)...

Lose-Lose situation

I WILL argue policy, and it's BAD policy to force this soldier to be subjected to pressure of religious dogma...

I agree 100% and I dont want peeps to think that I am trying to change what you think/believe because I post what I believe.

srsly? intro to calc?

2x...

you do know I was a Mech Engineering Major, right?

Ha ha! So was my husband and that is where I got it from. But, srsly, I can't test your knowledge over the internet, cause like BUSA said, you can use google. :D