Soldier complains Christian values forced upon him by the military

Disclaimer

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The questioning begins with 'was he forced to join the military?' and 'is the SOP for the military?'

If he wasn't forced to join and this is SOP then he needs to shut his trap and start soldering. Other than that... I got nothing. It's late and I'm too tired to discuss the obsessiveness of Christianity and the bitching from 'the New Army.'

:cool:

I would agree if it were a private company and presented up front..."we are a christian organization...blah blah blah" However, the military is a federal branch, and therefore CANNOT legally have a declared religion. No dice...

this sounds alot like a guy that wants out of his contract with the army and didn't want to have to be Gay to get out of it.....He didn't like to have to LISTEN to people pray before a freaking BBQ???? and asked to leave.... and the Oficers wouldn't let him... If I was this guy's SGT.. I would have bitch slapped him and told him to get a grip...it's a freakin BBQ!!!

don't be afraid to piss people off..... sometimes people need that to get thru the day cause they have boring and useless lives.... having an opinion is fine as long as you don't "slam " someone else for having a different one....

Amen' date=' Brother... Or, Nema Natas.... LOL

You, as many others, misunderstand the nature of selfishness, also you are full of shit. We kill just fine, and there is nothing more selfish than killing others so you can have a better life in your own country. (Ok, so that isn't completely accurate, but you get the point...)

Now, someone with a clue, or a library card, either or... Satanists are just Atheists making a joke on Christians.... No one who believes in the Christian mythology is really going to side with Satan, he has no chance... Ironically, this exact reaction from the religious is one of the primary reasons why we like to poke fun at them. Sadly, they rarely get the joke. (Ok, so you get the occasional teenage angst type that doesn't really understand what they are doing, but know they hate Christianity... these are just closet Atheists posing as Goths, like acne and black makeup, they will grow out of it....)

Even Anton LaVey stated that Satanism was just Atheism (Ayn Rand Objectivism, if you really want to get down to it) with ceremony. It's a joke on the close-minded by the free-thinking. (or so we see it that way) Atheists/Satanists make BETTER soldiers in my opinion. We fight for reasons we understand and aren't scared by magic men in the sky or "evil" satanists in our foxholes.... leaves us clear headed and ready to do the necessary. I would rather fight with someone who understands their mortality and the reality of the situation than someone who has "faith" in anything which can be shaken at a crucial time. Sure, religion has been used for eons to motivate soldiers and control the populations, but that is yet another reason to hate the lies and the liars who spread them.

And Christianity was DEFINATELY forced on us in the Army. The UCMJ says one thing about religious freedom, but I experienced a very different story... Persons not of Christian faith are openly mocked, singled out for hazing and punishment, selected for distasteful duties on Sunday because "if you ain't goin' to church, you might as well work your sins off...." Total bullshit just because I choose not to put my head in the same pile of sand as these ignorant hillbillies!?!?! There is a good group out there, Atheists in the Foxholes. They are exactly as the title suggests, look them up if you wish.

See, see what happens when you get me started on religion... I rant and then nobody likes me anymore.. Maybe if I pray about it... Damnit, gotta go do my taxes...[/quote']I went thru basic, AIT, and jump school in the Bible belt.... And I am Catholic... I got hazed for being one... by Protestant D.I.'s, it's part of the process man, I don't remember one guy in my unit NOT getting it at one point or another...... and I still like ya brotha!!! :D

It is a matter of planting a seed, watching curiosity grow, and moving on from there...so Christianity involves planting a fir tree seed in a guys lung, then watching our curiosity grow...OH wait...sorry...wrong forum for the fir tree!

The questioning begins with 'was he forced to join the military?' and 'is the SOP for the military?'

If he wasn't forced to join and this is SOP then he needs to shut his trap and start soldering. Other than that... I got nothing. It's late and I'm too tired to discuss the obsessiveness of Christianity and the bitching from 'the New Army.'

:cool:

Pauly, I absolutely disagree. The role of the U.S. Military is to defend America and American values. One of those values is freedom of religion. As a former U.S. Marine I can tell you there is definitely a Christian base to the U.S. Military. Every company has a chaplan. If someone joins the military and does not want to be part of Christian activities that is 100% their choice.

Pauly, I absolutely disagree. The role of the U.S. Military is to defend America and American values. One of those values is freedom of religion. As a former U.S. Marine I can tell you there is definitely a Christian base to the U.S. Military. Every company has a chaplan. If someone joins the military and does not want to be part of Christian activities that is 100% their choice.

The 100% choice is all fine and dandy on paper, but you can't tell me those people aren't thought of differently or in some cases - treated differently because they don't 'go with the Christian flow', can you? Those guys are definitely being judged by their peers of Christian faith. And, judge not lest ye be judged, right?

It's gotta be pretty hard to convince a judge/jury that you've got latrine duty because you don't believe in God. So, a lot of times any qualms regarding this type of policy go unreported and are just tolerated for the time being.

Edited by JRMMiii

The 100% choice is all fine and dandy on paper, but you can't tell me those people aren't thought of differently or in some cases - treated differently because they don't 'go with the Christian flow', can you? Those guys are definitely being judged by their peers of Christian faith. And, judge not lest ye be judged, right?

Maybe my post wasn't clear. In the military there IS pressure to be a part of Christian activities. If you try to fight something like that, your military career is likely finished.

Legally, If someone joins the military and does not want to be part of Christian activities that is 100% their choice. You are not asked to forgo Freedom of Religion when you sign a military contract.

Oh come on Duane. It's not lying if that is what you believe to be true.

okay, maybe "lying" was a poor word choice, but you know what I'm getting at...

You don't feel like you're lying because you believe it.

if you tell a young child something is a fact or present it as fact, then they are going to believe it, whether there is any evidence to support it or not:rolleyes:.. it's an endless "santa claus" paradigm

okay, maybe "lying" was a poor word choice, but you know what I'm getting at...

You don't feel like you're lying because you believe it.

if you tell a young child something is a fact or present it as fact, then they are going to believe it, whether there is any evidence to support it or not:rolleyes:.. it's an endless "santa claus" paradigm

My kids dont believe in Santa Claus. Dont want them to have huge disappointment when they find out there is no such thing. They wont be disappointed with believing in God.;)

My kids dont believe in Santa Claus. Dont want them to have huge disappointment when they find out there is no such thing. They wont be disappointed with believing in God.;)

I don't understand that. Same premise, relatively same application, yet you apply different reasoning?