My torn apart motor...and hopefully the answer...

FocusDave01

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a) motor wasnt broke in correctly b)bad oil who knows but look at the head and valves both sides (inside and out) got crud and grime all over them

if you get new rings, break it in HARD

:nono: That same website says to use car oil during break in

I'd have to be there to see for myself, but all the cylinders are carboned up beyond normal, and they look oil wet. Something effected all cylinders equally. I'm surprised they haven't found the problem before tearing it down. It looks like it was running on an oil and fuel mix like a two stroke. Even then, It's too much oil in all the cylinders.

The tear down is ok, because it's bad enough it needs to be cleaned up. There is enough carbon in the cylinders to throw the compression ration off and possibly create detonation. Seriously, normal cylinders are normally fairly clean in an engine. Usually you can see metal, not a coating of gook. Sooty, yes, but not full of chunks and build up of burnt oil. Intake valves are often still shiny. Not in this one, they aren't. The plugs look like they were barely firing at all.

I'm betting something delivered oil to all cylinders, and that would be the fuel/air intake system. Don't know how yet. What else is there, maybe it had no valve guide seals at all? Oil rings non-functional or on upside down? There aren't many other choices, other than the absurd. Like the head gasket was fake and was actually a piece of thin Swiss cheese or something... I am now interested in knowing the answer.

I'd have to be there to see for myself, but all the cylinders are carboned up beyond normal, and they look oil wet. Something effected all cylinders equally. I'm surprised they haven't found the problem before tearing it down. It looks like it was running on an oil and fuel mix like a two stroke. Even then, It's too much oil in all the cylinders.

The tear down is ok, because it's bad enough it needs to be cleaned up. There is enough carbon in the cylinders to throw the compression ration off and possibly create detonation. Seriously, normal cylinders are normally fairly clean in an engine. Usually you can see metal, not a coating of gook. Sooty, yes, but not full of chunks and build up of burnt oil. Intake valves are often still shiny. Not in this one, they aren't. The plugs look like they were barely firing at all.

I'm betting something delivered oil to all cylinders, and that would be the fuel/air intake system. Don't know how yet. What else is there, maybe it had no valve guide seals at all? Oil rings non-functional or on upside down? There aren't many other choices, other than the absurd. Like the head gasket was fake and was actually a piece of thin Swiss cheese or something... I am now interested in knowing the answer.

thanks recon for posting your input, like i said there just gonna clean it up and replace all the seals and measure valves and piston rings and go from there..

did they figure out what was wrong with it??

they rebuilt the whole motor..(seal and ring wise) as for finding out what was "exactly" wrong with it not really other than the carbon build up...they told my brother today that the motor will be mounted to the frame tomorrow night and should be good to go friday evening...heres hoping :cheers: only downfall now in my way is $$$...i have none to spend on it, right now anyway and im hoping they can give me a new temp tag cause the tags expired on the 18th..the bike was in the shop like 2.5 out of the 4 i had it...so im prayin...:violin:

well just got off the phone with them..motor back together runs fine and everything, no smoke..except still stalls when coming off load when you pull the clutch when coming to a stop and they have no idea whats causeing this..they have a call into yamaha but prob wont hear anything back till monday so im hoping they figure it out and i get it back monday..what a waste of a good weekend...

they think it is an idleing problem and guess they cant figure out where to adjust it on the yammi who knows i dont blame them they want to make sure i dont have to bring it back its just i got my hopes up now and the bike let down again this bike is a curse

Edited by FocusDave01