would this work? gas in a bottle

natedogg624

really don't want to spend 50+ dollars an something i would use once maybe twice.

auxiliary gas can

would it be possible to make one by using a 1L or 2L coke bottle and fastening a hose to it and sealing it up? similar set up to a overflow container seen on race bikes or lazy bike owners.

I know how i want to do the hosing, my main concern is the gas eating the coke plastic.

thats what i thought initially as well. i think im going to have to find a thicker bottle. or just bust out the 50 unless someone has one i can borrow.

or use my old platypus from my camel rider or listerine bottles...

doing some reading up on it, most of what i've read people say its ok, but not for long periods of time, more than a day or so.

Edited by natedogg624

ok im losing it, i forgot how to plug up the cap.

assuming i use the coke bottle, id drill a hole through the cap for the fuel line to fit through, then how do i seal that new hole? do i melt it with a lighter or find some kind of sealant? (what sealant?)

has anyone ever bought from them? they have a pretty killer price on a chain tool

ill be buying from them shortly, ill let you know how it goes.

:confused:...This whole thing sounds like a horrible idea...

you have EFI. STFU. <--i say that with kindness and sincerity intended, no offense. and if you've owned a carb'd bike then you should know what its like...

i actually have the auxiliary gas tank and works great. so i thought id share my findings ;) it says not to leave gas in it etc but mine sits with gas in it for long periods of time, and its ok

not planning on using it for storage, just for the carb tuning purposes.

ok im losing it, i forgot how to plug up the cap.

assuming i use the coke bottle, id drill a hole through the cap for the fuel line to fit through, then how do i seal that new hole? do i melt it with a lighter or find some kind of sealant? (what sealant?)

i wouldnt try to melt anything containing gas with a lighter :lol:

you have EFI. STFU. <--i say that with kindness and sincerity intended, no offense. and if you've owned a carb'd bike then you should know what its like...

LOL... I'm just talking about the coke bottle idea

ive put gasoline in a 2 liter bottle before. it didnt melt... this was probably 10 years ago though so who knows?

try it though. whats the worst that can happen? put a cup or two of gas into a plastic 2 litre and see what happens. it wont melt right away

or... go to the gas station and buy a 2 gallon gas can.

geez, cut and weld half a can to each side of your tank. Drill some holes first. There you go, extended capacity.

Seriously, you'd need a crash proof container, fuel fittings, one for supply and one for vent, and maybe a fuel pump also. And you have to figure out an easy way to fill it. And I'd run the vent back into the main tank.

oh wait... I see you said carb tuning. We used to use any old metal can with a screw top. Put a hose fitting in the cap, the type that bolts down. Rig a vent, even if it's just a hole on the other end. Rig something to hang it upside down above the engine. Hang it up and hook it up. It's easy to get fuel all over everything, so a couple of hose petcocks would be nice to have in the setup.

Edited by ReconRat
oopsie