looking for a good deal, found this, not sure if its worth it

buxnut

It's a 1985 Honda V65 Magna with 35000+ miles on it and NO TITLE for $1000. I searched and found this thread http://www.ohio-riders.net/showthread.php?t=21332 so I think the title would take some leg work and a few extra bucks but shouldn't be a total show stopper. I have not seen this bike run yet, talked to the guy on the phone today and he said it runs fine but hasn't been fired up yet this year. I plan on meeting him on Saturday to see it and give it a go over. He said he ran the VIN and it came back clean. I plan on stopping by tomorrow and getting the VIN and doing some research for myself. It has been sitting under a front porch for some time now but wasn't out there over the winter.

I also need to mention that this will be the first bike I have owned. I rode a POS LTD 440 something during my college days about 15 years ago but I never had a license, insurance or a helmet. It was my roommate's bike. I have my temps and I am taking the MSF course this weekend.

Here is the seller's story about the bike-

He said a guy from Kansas was riding through our little town and ran out of gas and sold him the bike with a bill of sale claiming to mail the title to him but he never heard from him a again. Sounds a Little far fetched to me. What do you all think?

I have been lurking around here for about a year now and looking for a bike for longer than that. you all seem like a great group with some VERY knowledgeable folks so I am hoping someone can steer me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Bill.

If you have a Bill of Sale, I'd try and find the guy. Honestly, if he forged the name and signature, it could easily be taken away if the guy says he never sold it to you, etc...

Take it to a towing service or a mechanic that you know and put a Mechanic's Lean on it. It will take something like 60 days, but...

The price is way too high, also...

If there isn't a title...odds are it will be a big pita. I still have a monte carlo ss sitting in my driveway because the names on the title were forged..and when the previous owner forged them, they even spelled the name wrong. PASS and just look for another good deal!

Thanks for the advice everyone. I decided not to pursue this deal. I called the state title place downtown and they said it is possible but it is a Ton of paperwork and time involved and they also said it is technically illegal to sell a motor vehicle of any kind without a title.

The search continues.

At least I have the MSF course to look forward to this weekend!

Bill.