BMW Experts

Shmaa

Looking at getting a new(used) car for the woman. She drove a 2008ish 328xi and loved it. I have been thinking maybe a 335i instead, but is it going to be a huge hassle over the 328? Seems like a lot of problems with the HPFP and maybe injectors and what not.

I don't know a whole lot about either model so the more info the better. Either one would be an auto and a 4 door.

HPFP's and turbos are covered by BMW, one is up to 80k miles, and the other 120k, but I forget which is which. The 335's auto trans is a lot stronger than the 28i's, but if it's going to be a stock DD, it doesn't really matter. My roommate's 2007 335i has 80k miles, and had the HPFP replaced at port (0 miles) with the supposed "revised" unit. Beyond that, it's been pretty reliable. Though the fuel economy is absolutely terrible unless you watch your right foot, he is getting < 20mpg. Though if you're looking at x-drive cars, I doubt you care about MPG's because it is not a strong suit for BMW.

The N52 (328) is a solid engine and car. My dad owned a E90 (4 Door) and now a E92 (2 Door) and has had absolutely zero problems with it. They are a bit sluggish with the auto, but with a manual the engine dynamics change a lot.

The 335 is a good car, and depends on what year you get. A 2011+ 335i carries the N55 engine, which is a single turbo twin scroll, versus past, where the N54 had a twin turbo. Supposedly the N55 was to fix the HPFP issues, and I haven't really seen any show up either. There are claims of more lag on the N55, but can't really back that up with any personal experience.

HPFP is covered for 120k IIRC, and other than that and walnut blasting the service is almost identical.

I have a 2007 335i coupe, and it's been so-so on reliability. As said above, the HPFP is a 120k mile warranty, and the turbos are warrantied for 8 years/82k miles. According to my trip computer, I average 25mpg. On summer blend it's closer to 27mpg. With cruise set @70 on the freeway she'll do 32+. That's boring 4 cylinder Accord MPGs in a 300hp 6 cylinder; this car really amazes me with fuel consumption.

I've never had any fuel pump issues, but it has been updated to the latest revised pump and injectors. I HAVE had the oil filter housing gaskets leak and the water pump fail. Those two repairs can be done in a weekend by a shade tree mechanic, hell, I did it.

Near as I can tell, the water pump has more to do with the plastic impeller and housing than the turbochargers, so pretty much all the BMW inline 6'ers suffer from this issue.

I also had a pretty wicked wastegate rattle, and they would have eventually failed. My turbos were warrantied recently.

Honestly, if she's not an enthusiast, get her a 328i x-drive. Better yet, get her an X1. It's based on the E91 Wagon, and surprisingly several thousand cheaper than a similar equipped 328i.

You always take a chance with things going bad on a car when it is used and not knowing the owner. I worked for BMWNA warranty department and most issues were neglect from owners or previous owners. Of course there were times that things failed on the car out of warranty, but you take the chance. They are solid cars, just make sure you take care of it.

So I'm thinking an out of warranty 335i sounds like a potential money pit. Am I wrong? Turbos seem really expensive ~5k to replace. Hpfp is surely a decent chunk. I tend to hang on to cars for a while so one of those is bound to break. Kinda sucks as I'd love to have one to play with.

Is that really yours?

Watched some builds on AZ etc on that but never any really come to fruition outside of the RS6.

Ya.

But the Audi is still stock. Took that to poke fun over on audizine a while back.

Honestly, if she's not an enthusiast, get her a 328i x-drive.

Agreed 100%. I'm no expert, per the OPs request, but I don't see why you would pay more at pretty much every point for the 335 when she won't use the performance/power it offers above the 328. If you really want to spend the money just get a loaded and/or newer/lower mile 328 instead of a base 335.

How many people are going to fall for that Shmaa? LOL

I remember when that video was posted on motorgeek. They all had boners until I spoiled it for them.

:lolguy:

I got quite the kick when the guy doing the rs6 build posted my video.

I'm no expert, per the OPs request, but I don't see why you would pay more at pretty much every point for the 335 when she won't use the performance/power it offers above the 328. If you really want to spend the money just get a loaded 328 instead of a base 335.

My thinking is if the 335 isn't going to cost substantially more to maintain then it would be worth it for me. I will drive the car on occasion and it would be fun to slap a tune on there etc.

My thinking is if the 335 isn't going to cost substantially more to maintain then it would be worth it for me. I will drive the car on occasion and it would be fun to slap a tune on there etc.

And you'd be wrong. Sounds like you already know what you want. Just know that with ANY mod AT ALL you'll have to fight for any warranty work.

Don't get me wrong, the n54 is a great motor and BMW put it in a great car. But, it takes an enthusiast to live with the car's issues.

And you'd be wrong. Sounds like you already know what you want. Just know that with ANY mod AT ALL you'll have to fight for any warranty work.

Don't get me wrong, the n54 is a great motor and BMW put it in a great car. But, it takes an enthusiast to live with the car's issues.

He owns an Audi. He knows all about car problems. :dumb: