New to Ohio - Where to get CCW

Tha Kernal

I actually have a question about getting my CCW. I'm interested on picking up my CCW, and wondered if being active duty for 4 years will speed the process up any?

*Sorry OP, don't mean to infringe on your thread, just didn't want to start a new thread.

If you have the right forms. I think it is your form 522 that you need. However, it only does good if it shows current M9 training. If you can verify that, you don't have to take a class

Ah yeah, I'm qualified on it the M9, but i'll have to see if it's on my DD214 has any weapons quals on there.

Thanks for all the props guys.

If you are not actively/ currently enlisted, I don't believe you will be able to just turn in the application and qual card. If you are reserve or active, your weapons qual card and your current military ID is what is asked for. When I turned mine in, it was for M16. So I can't say it matters if it is M9 or not. I think they just want to see you have had weapons training and qualification. Contact your county sheriff for accurate guildance.

I'd be happy to put a class together for you and your friends/ family, or work you in with a class I may have going.

Ah yeah, I'm qualified on it the M9, but i'll have to see if it's on my DD214 has any weapons quals on there.

214 doesnt list that and is not an acceptable document. I am almost possitive it is the 522 that is controlled and issued by combat arms that is required.

Thanks for all the props guys.

If you are not actively/ currently enlisted, I don't believe you will be able to just turn in the application and qual card. If you are reserve or active, your weapons qual card and your current military ID is what is asked for. When I turned mine in, it was for M16. So I can't say it matters if it is M9 or not. I think they just want to see you have had weapons training and qualification. Contact your county sheriff for accurate guildance.

I'd be happy to put a class together for you and your friends/ family, or work you in with a class I may have going.

In my personal experience, Union county required that I showed proof of experience with a handgun. I had to literally go through and explain it with him and prove that it was the handgun as he could care less about any of the other weapons systems I was qualified on.

214 doesnt list that and is not an acceptable document.

In my personal experience, Union county required that I showed proof of experience with a handgun. I had to literally go through and explain it with him and prove that it was the handgun as he could care less about any of the other weapons systems I was qualified on.

When you had to explain it to them, did you have a current military ID and qual card? As I said before, people need to check with the sheriff in their county. I did mine outside Franklin county and it was more difficult than people have told me theirs was for Franklin county. This is a good place to exchange our experiences, but final word goes to county. And hell, that seems to change a little form month to month.

It's going to depend on branch of service for what form # for proof of qualification. Let the sheriff tell you. If you are not still in, a DD214 means nothing toward getting a CCW from what I have seen. It use to be you only got a 214 when you were released from service. Now, I've received an updated one after every deployment. There's a bit of room for different experiances going through the process to get your license to carry.

http://www.armed2defend.com is where i got mine. 12 hour class on a saturday. They provide everything and it was only 80$.

Not sure if talking about the permit or the CCW itself?

was a good class but when ever the owner guy spoke I felt like I was in a sales meeting. Was very annoying having him sell us stuff EVERY time he spoke!

Would not recommend

was a good class but when ever the owner guy spoke I felt like I was in a sales meeting. Was very annoying having him sell us stuff EVERY time he spoke!

Would not recommend

learn to say no thanks, and move on. I did not get that vibe at all.

When you had to explain it to them, did you have a current military ID and qual card? As I said before, people need to check with the sheriff in their county. I did mine outside Franklin county and it was more difficult than people have told me theirs was for Franklin county. This is a good place to exchange our experiences, but final word goes to county. And hell, that seems to change a little form month to month.

It's going to depend on branch of service for what form # for proof of qualification. Let the sheriff tell you. If you are not still in, a DD214 means nothing toward getting a CCW from what I have seen. It use to be you only got a 214 when you were released from service. Now, I've received an updated one after every deployment. There's a bit of room for different experiances going through the process to get your license to carry.

Yes I did have current id and card. He was was salty that this was all that was required and I didn't have to prove taking any other course. He gave a long lecture about how someone is going to get killed or imprisoned due to bad choices based on ignorance. A very different situation than others have experienced so I am with you in regards to believing that it depends on the county and the person helping you that day. When I got mine, there were less than 150 other people in the county who had theirs so things might be different..

learn to say no thanks, and move on. I did not get that vibe at all.

Me neither. I have recommended him probably 40+ times.

He offered a car safe (which was $3 more than Buckeye), an NRA membership for $20 (which I bought), and a Florida license.

your DD214 will be acknowledged as a form of training cert and you will not be required to take the class, valid up to 6yrs from your discharge date(assuming it was an honorable discharge). after 6yrs, it no longer counts.

*that said, it is past 6yrs for me and i now need to take the class. MoJoe, how much is your class and when are you doing your next one?

Dragu1a, my classes are usually set up by someone interested, and then by the time they talk to friend, family and coworkers, there is a full class that is theirs. I have a class the first weekend of may. I will contact the person who set is up and se if they have a seat for you, this usually works out. If there is a certain date you had in mind, PM me and I will work with your schedule as best I can. Thanks for considering me for this class.

your DD214 will be acknowledged as a form of training cert and you will not be required to take the class, valid up to 6yrs from your discharge date(assuming it was an honorable discharge). after 6yrs, it no longer counts.

*that said, it is past 6yrs for me and i now need to take the class. MoJoe, how much is your class and when are you doing your next one?

Good to know! Thanks man.

Dragu1a, my classes are usually set up by someone interested, and then by the time they talk to friend, family and coworkers, there is a full class that is theirs. I have a class the first weekend of may. I will contact the person who set is up and se if they have a seat for you, this usually works out. If there is a certain date you had in mind, PM me and I will work with your schedule as best I can. Thanks for considering me for this class.

Joe, did you get any of my texts?

• 4 weeks later...

to add more info to this thread..

the NRA course that is taught by instructors in every state is the same. in fact it is only the state that has different requirements on what they need as proof. so anyone that is trying to charge more than 1$ extra for the "fla" license is just out to rip you off. as they require the same document as Ohio.

I only say $1 due to the cheapness of the actual forms.

Me neither. I have recommended him probably 40+ times.

He offered a car safe (which was $3 more than Buckeye), an NRA membership for $20 (which I bought), and a Florida license.

As an NRA instructor he gets kick backs for getting people to sign up for the NRA. I think it's 10 bucks a person.

I don't know the guy from Adam, but I don't like they idea of someone running 100-150 people through a class. Screams lack of quality control to me.