Quick window tint question

Last_in

Just got pulled over by Gahanna police for window tint. I was always under the impression window tint was a secondary offense and they had to have another reason to pull me over? Just curious, someone school me. Sorry if this has been discussed, I'm on my phone and can't search that easily.

No warning, wrote me a ticket for the tint.

I've gotten a ticket for tint before but I was pulled over for no front plate and then he added on the tint.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope, doesn't have to be a secondary offense. Gahanna and Westerville's favorite ticket to write.

Alright, thanks for the info. Looks like my windows will have to be down when going through there. Ha.

How dark is it? Just curious.

Tested at 4% on his meter. I am illegal and not complaining I got the ticket, I will gladly pay the fine. But Zanesville and Bowling Green police have never hassled me about it and I've driven by them many times.

Plus my windshield tint is a little low.

http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz243/Dakota740408/DSC_0129_zps023a0d7d.jpg

Just a guess, but that windshield may be what gets police attention.

I wouldn't think twice about the truck's tint otherwise; hell, I have a truck with factory 8% glass.

Might be worth it in the long run to get that re-tinted to the AS1 line or higher ;)

You're probably right about the windshield. At least I didn't get the entire windshield done in 35% like my old truck. Ha.

I really want to keep the tint though, and pick up a D250 RCLB(with no tint) for daily driving so I can keep the miles off the Cummins and not have it seen as much by the police.

I may be wrong, but it could be worth a shot going to your optometrist saying bright light hurts your eyes. Get a little piece of paper and throw it in your glove box to show to the cops when you get pulled over.

Word to the wise: Put a copy of the relevant section of the Ohio Code in there as well.

50 is legal.

From my understanding there is factory tint there. Maybe like 1-2% but it's there. I remember a while ago if it's anything under 50% cops can be dicks.

No really, I drive around drunk all day and don't want to be pulled over for tint. :gabe:

From my understanding there is factory tint there. Maybe like 1-2% but it's there. I remember a while ago if it's anything under 50% cops can be dicks.

No really, I drive around drunk all day and don't want to be pulled over for tint. :gabe:

Most factory tint is around 70%. But 50% tint just makes your windows look dirty.

Most factory tint is around 70%. But 50% tint just makes your windows look dirty.

Depends on the interior.

I have 30% Ceramic on the Z, and that meters in at 23%

I put 50% on the 1er because it's going to be my DD car. I've talked to a few cops and they all basically judge the car by if you can see the driver's face. Going by that, you should be able to get away with 35%+

I've heard first hand of cops ticketing for 47% (on 50% film) but it is rare.

Here is the 1er with 50% Madico Advance Ceramic. No need to go dark with ceramic film, it can reject heat better than 20% regular dyed film :)

553060_10200489896242501_384550423_n.jpg

27122_10200489898562559_759326515_n.jpg

The good film (Pinnacle) tint isn't 50% it's 54% but they call it 50. So with 1-3% factory tint you Are at most 51% of light transmittance. You have 1% to give.

Specs (first column is light transmittance):

http://formulaone.com/pdf/FormulaOneSpecSheet.pdf

Incorrect, factory tint on front windows (the only windows Ohio has a law on besides the windshield) is 1-3%.

And I hardly think my front windows look dirty:

http://www.columbusdiscgolf.com/IMAGES/DSC_3299.JPG

That is Pinnacle series 50 front, and 35 rear.

Edited by Benjamin