4. Workshoes

5. Set of light gloves for this evening

6. Monster

7. Granola Bar

8. Fruit Cup

9. Pills (Yay ADHD!)

10. Pack of Gum

11. Kitchen Sink

The fog wasn't bad anywhere but Penninsula. As soon as I got into Brecksville it cleared up. Just the valley area along Riverview mainly.

I started a new topic about this, but I thought I would slide it in here too. Have a friend that is in the service and rode today? I'd love to see some Military Support on this. It's last minute, but here you go.

Motorcycle Ohio Ride SMART Campaign Kick Off

Ride SMART is Motorcycle Ohio’s program to cover all aspects of rider safety:

Ride Sober. Ride Motorcycle Licensed. Ride Alert. Use the Right Gear. Ride Trained. Ride SMART

Who: Ohio Department of Public Safety’s Ohio Traffic Safety Office – Motorcycle Ohio.

What: Kick off for RideSMART Campaign for 2009 Riding Season

When: April 16, 2009 2 p.m.

Where: Ohio Department of Public Safety, southwest corner of the main parking lot. Rain location – ODPS Atrium – main BMV entrance.

Before riding season officially kicks off (and just before the kick off of Motorcycle Safety Awareness Month – May), ODPS is kicking off its RideSMART campaign. Ohio has seen a steady increase in motorcycle fatalities on our roads – which directly conflicts with the downward trend in overall fatalities and fatalities related to other high-risk behaviors like impaired driving. In 2008, there were 4,995 crashes and 210 fatalities involving motorcycles, up from 4,982 crashes and 190 deaths in 2007 and 4,235 crashes and 157 deaths in 2006.

We know that the number of motorcycle registrations has steadily increased over the past few years, suggesting that the increased number of crashes and deaths could be attributed to the fact that there are more motorcycles on the road. While there are no specific statistics to back this up, another theory that goes along with the increase in registrations is an increased number of novice riders or re-entry riders who may need a refresher on motorcycle skills.

While motorcycles can be particularly vulnerable to crashes with motorists because of their small size and difficulty to spot, it is the motorcyclist who is in error more than 60 percent of the time in crashes, many of them involving speed or failure to control.

Motorcycle Ohio (MO) works to address all of the issues that can impact motorcycle safety including education, training and motorist awareness. The main goal of the RideSMART campaign is to reach out to as many motorcyclists and motorists as possible to remind them that everyone plays a critical role in motorcycle safety.

MO is working with state and local partners (including the city of Columbus, Ohio State University, ODOT, American Motorcyclist Association, ABATE, law enforcement and other safety partners) to get the RideSMART message out to riders and motorists alike. MO and partners will be working to continue these messages during the entire riding season, across the state.

ODPS is very excited about the partnership between MO and the National Guard (detailed in the Jan. 2009 issue of ONG’s Safety Stand Down) and would like to invite Maj. Gen. Wayt or another ONG representative to participate in the kick off event to not only highlight the partnership, but also highlight why the National Guard feels motorcycle safety is important enough to ensure its members have the right training.

i bet those stats had a lot to do with the gas prices last summer...

A LOT of people justified buying their first motorcycle based on $4.00/gallon gas, and few of them bothered to learn how to ride..

I bet the numbers go down this year...

i bet those stats had a lot to do with the gas prices last summer...

A LOT of people justified buying their first motorcycle based on $4.00/gallon gas, and few of them bothered to learn how to ride..

I bet the numbers go down this year...

We can only hope they go down....

I'm in the Guard, so I'm going to support the event, but I thought I would share it with others. Bottom line, it's about being safe.

What exactly does their Kickoff involve? It doesn't really say, that I'm seeing.....It just says "When" & "Where"

Best I can tell, they have a couple speakers about the program, the State Highway Patrol Motorcycles are on display. No mention of food that I can see. Photo oppertunities, and lierature about the program.

It's an excuse to get out of the office for me and support the Guards Involvement in Safety

I rode in this morning. The cold wasn't the problem. Riding through Penninsula the fog was solid thick. I had to ride with my visor up because the condensation was so thick that both sides would fog up. Even with my visor up I still couldn't see more than 15 feet in front of me.

I did notice that in C-bus at 6:30am. It would coat both the outside and inside of the visor. Not the best way to see the road.

I'm excited... its gonna be a chilly ride in, but this afternoon is gonna be sweeeeet!!!

I woke up in the middle of the night, posted (which I barely remember doing), went back to sleep, then woke up late. didn't get to ride :( buuut, I think I'm gonna go now. wooot!