Just got the Vance's Ad...

KillJoy

So the companies were not making as much money as they could have, then all of the sudden, adjusted the prices to compensate for increased materials cost?

:dumb:

What is economics?

Most of the materials jump in cost has been since 2006, then the crash in 2009, then a jump again beginning in 2010.

What are markets?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure how you have a different gripe now than you would have 6 months ago, 2 years ago or 10 years ago?

...because of panic buying and there never being a "stock" on the store shelves. :dumb:

I have NEVER seen a "shortage" of 22LR in my life. Ever. It's not because they are making any less of it. It's not because the MFG's are charging more. It is because "people" have freaked out, and are buying any and all when they see it, whether they "need it" or not. Or hell, to resell it because they know they can.

Once panic buying calms the fuck down, prices will drop back down to normal. And once that does, I am going to remember the places that didn't jack up their prices to stupid rates to take advantage of the situation, and possibly even prolong it.

KillJoy

I understand prices have gone up. I could buy a 500rnd brick for 9.99 3years ago, 8months ago i could buy the same brick for $13-15, that is normal price increase due to materials and shipping costs. Now that same brick is $30-90. That isn't cost to produce has gone up 300+% in the last couple months. That is the retailer getting as much as they can due to availability. Plain and simple.

What retailer has it for $90?

No store I go to has it for $90.

...because of panic buying and there never being a "stock" on the store shelves. :dumb:

I have NEVER seen a "shortage" of 22LR in my life. Ever. It's not because they are making any less of it. It's not because the MFG's are charging more. It is because "people" have freaked out, and are buying any and all when they see it, whether they "need it" or not. Or hell, to resell it because they know they can.

Once panic buying calms the fuck down, prices will drop back down to normal. And once that does, I am going to remember the places that didn't jack up their prices to stupid rates to take advantage of the situation, and possibly even prolong it.

KillJoy

I'd put money on this said item never going below $25 regular price again. Everyone said prices would drop after 2008, they never did.

Look, we have bought in bulk for about 30 years now as a family. This shit happens every few years and the prices never go back down. It used to be cheaper to reload your own shotgun shells (by a lot). Then the prices of reloading materials spiked in the late 90's, and it was cheaper to buy basic ammo than it was to reload basic ammo.

What retailer has it for $90?

No store I go to has it for $90.

http://www.ammunitionstore.com/products/22lr-ammo-lapua-40gr-center-x-500-round-box.html

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/AMM-058

There are a lot of places that have retarded prices

http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/22lr/

There is a place on there with the Remington "bucket of bullets" 1400 rnds for $280 and they are out of stock.

I'd put money on this said item never going below $25 regular price again.

THIS, we agree on :(

Hell, it is getting to the point that 12GA is the most economical, commercially available, caliber to shoot in quantity!

KillJoy

That's funny, because I have never done business with any of those stores that are charging ridiculous prices because they have always been shitty.

Cheaper than dirt used to have decent prices, especially in bulk.

I never thought their prices were that good. Then they single handily caused the run in 2008 by SPIKING their prices on election night.

They used to have a "You save $X.XX" on each item.

On election night, things would say "You save -$9.00"

I never said prices of metal haven't gone up there ass hat, But they have not gone up 300 - 900% as prices have in the last 6mo. I'm not willing to pay the 60-90 for 500 rnd brick. So that is supply and demand dick wad. so econ that up your ass.

So don't buy it. ECONOMICS

To a point, I agree. 7 years ago I was buying Bricks for $10. These same Bricks were $15-$18 from Oct to Dec 2012. Today, they are $32+.

Yes, small dealers are GOUGING. That WAS my bitch!

:dumb:

KillJoy

Think about this. Small dealers don't know when they will get anything back in stock. They have to make the profits off whatever they sell last them until they have something back in stock to sell again. This scarcity versus heightened demand naturally raises the price point. Big time retailers have more money in the bank and more buying power, so they are able to have less scarcity and feel less pain from times of lower number of sales, so they don't need to raise prices as high. Back in the day people disliked big business for this reason, because small business couldn't compete and wouldn't survive. The small stores owned by people in the community died out to the likes of Wal-Mart. Now people throw a fit because they don't want to pay a couple extra bucks for something they can't even find.

Again, go take a fucking economics class.

There was actually an article last month that pointed out cost to manufacture since Q4 last year has NOT increased any negligible amount.

Ok?

It's exactly like how oil and gas prices worked. The cost to produce has increased so much over the years, yet the product price has not increased as much as the cost, that manufacturers take any chance they can to recoup their profit margin. Which is why I said that the last few months are not a good indicator of the big picture here.

Is this your only argument here?

KillJoy

If you understand economics then you wouldn't be calling every company out there a gouger. I don't have a problem with calling places out that raise the price on the prospect of scarcity, like cheaper than dirt. That place can eat a dick for their business practices. But with such scarcity as we have now, prices are what the market can sustain which is obviously more than you are willing to pay and less than what other people are willing to pay. So long as someone out there is willing to pay asking price there is no incentive for it to drop. Once not enough people are willing to pay asking price, supply will increase and prices will drop. Again, this is all econ 101, I don't see why it's so confusing.

If you understand economics then you wouldn't be calling every company out there a gouger. I don't have a problem with calling places out that raise the price on the prospect of scarcity, like cheaper than dirt. That place can eat a dick for their business practices. But with such scarcity as we have now, prices are what the market can sustain which is obviously more than you are willing to pay and less than what other people are willing to pay. So long as someone out there is willing to pay asking price there is no incentive for it to drop. Once not enough people are willing to pay asking price, supply will increase and prices will drop. Again, this is all econ 101, I don't see why it's so confusing.

Fine. You call it Econ 101, I will call it gouging your loyal customers.

:thumbup:

Just because you CAN, does not mean you SHOULD.

KillJoy

Fine. You call it Econ 101, I will call it gouging your loyal customers.

:thumbup:

Just because you CAN, does not mean you SHOULD.

KillJoy

If it's me and my choices are raise prices or go out of business I'll raise prices every time.

If it's me and my choices are raise prices or go out of business I'll raise prices every time.

So, Vance's will go out of business if they don't increase 22LR Bricks by 50% of what they were 4 months ago due to panic buying?

KillJoy

No. You can't just say, "Ok?"

You stated that the prices were being passed along. They were not. The retailers were still buying for the same price.

Link to article stating that manufacturers and their wholesalers have not raised prices?

The first that came to mind.....

From http://www.gunblast.com/

KillJoy

And there are wholesalers showing retailers that the prices have gone up because manufacturers are charging more.

Your ridiculous pricing by shit outfits like CtD are typical of them, but your 50% increases are being driven by the manufacturer side.