1500 solid enough to tow a car?

Jewtoys

Alright, so I don't know squat about trucks. Last year I was going to buy a Ecoboost F-150 to tow a smaller boat and my jet skis. Well we agreed on a price and they back pedaled. So I didn't end up getting the truck and passed on a boat as well.

This year the boat I'm looking at will be staying in the water, so I really don't have to worry about that. The main concern is towing roughly a 2,100-2,200lb ish car and unsure of the trailer as I'm crawling craigslist for one that doesn't look like it's been to Baghdad and back. I don't feel like spending more than I have to but I also don't want some old bucket where it will be needed the tow. I could careless the brand as I don't have a hard on for any truck. I test drove a 2010 Silverado 1500 4x4 yesterday with 13k miles, for 19k. Has a warranty and all that jazz, seemed cheap or atleast a halfway decent deal to me. My neighboor said I should be looking at 2500s if I want to tow a car.... Keep in mind I will only be towing roughly 5 times a year and one long 8 hour trip to Ohio thrown in the mix. Based on my keyboard research a 2500 seems like it would be too much? But like I said I don't know anything about trucks.

Any input brahs?

Towing 5k lbs (car and trailer) will be no sweat for any modern V8 full size truck.

Pick the one you like the best, or can get the best deal on.

Alright awesome. People keep saying it's going to sway. etc. But a car that only weighs 2-2200ish lbs... I didn't think it would have any issues..

Its a 2010 Silverado 4x4 two door, I believe 8ft bed. Towing package, upgraded tires. 13k miles. 100k mile warranty, 19k

I see the base 2013 Ram 1500 go for 22k and have a backup camera and bed cover... 2wd truck but I doubt I will have any use for 4x4 here in NC...

Last option bare bones 2013 F-250 work truck for 23,500

Towing 5k lbs (car and trailer) will be no sweat for any modern V8 full size truck.

Pick the one you like the best, or can get the best deal on.

This. A 2,200 lb car will be no problem. Here's proof. Dads '13 Ecoboost towing my 78 K10 4x4.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=778&pictureid=7179

I tow my FD on a steel trailer (about 5k total weight) with my buddies 07 Sierra 1500 V8. No problems whatsoever towing, it's just a big sluggish as you might expect when hauling that much weight. No need for a 2500 for as few times as you'll be doing it during the year.

I'm actually looking to get a SUV for family/towing duties. If you're not doing it very often, a truck is not always required.

Up until my trailer was stolen, I towed my heavy, steel Kwikload trailer (~2,000 lbs) to haul my Z06 (~3,150 lbs) with a '3 Silverado 1500 with a 5.3l. The truck was rated to tow 7,400 lbs and I had no problem towing. A 3/4-ton or a 1-ton would have been way overkill, but some people insisted that I didn't have enough truck.

Alright awesome. People keep saying it's going to sway. etc. But a car that only weighs 2-2200ish lbs... I didn't think it would have any issues..

Its a 2010 Silverado 4x4 two door, I believe 8ft bed. Towing package, upgraded tires. 13k miles. 100k mile warranty, 19k

I see the base 2013 Ram 1500 go for 22k and have a backup camera and bed cover... 2wd truck but I doubt I will have any use for 4x4 here in NC...

Last option bare bones 2013 F-250 work truck for 23,500

Yah we just paid 28k for our 10 Ram 4x41500 5.7l full size4door- it had a tow package- with 30k on it why is the Chevy so cheap for a 2010?

Towing for us was a rediculous number well ever max, I think like 8k?

When I hauled 2200lbs of roadbase in the back of my old '86 C10 (1/2ton), it swayed and wouldn't safely go over 35MPH.

When I towed my Corvette on a U-Haul trailer and had nearly 1000lbs of schtuff in the bed of my '82 C20 Diesel (3/4ton) moving back from Florida to Columbus in '08, I drove around 75mph for almost 15 hours with very little problem, even in stop-n-go traffic around Atlanta.

Up into the 90s, i think having a 1/2T or 3/4T really made a difference in towing, especially if you did it on a regular basis. HOWEVER, modern 1500-series 1/2ton trucks will tow 5000lbs just fine, especially if it's only a few times a year.

EDIT: Saw your post above :) GL with whatever you buy!

If someone was looking for deal. We have one here, its a New 2012 leftover GMC Sierra 1500 4wd crew cab sticker is $43k, selling for 31k. That price includes promotion of owning a 99 or newer gm truck currently and plan on trading a gm in Edited by Syris

I agree that up to 8500 lbs or so a half ton should serve you fine, especially if only a 5 or 10 times a year. As far as trailer sway, it can sneak up on you and get pretty severe under braking or downhill. I'd spend a few hundo on an anti-sway hitch setup, and be mindful of loading your trailer as evenly as possible, so you're not nose or tail biased too badly with weight. Check craigslist for hitch setups before buying new too.