Vehicle Safety Inspection Checkpoint

dakotart

My mom was stopped in a checkpoint this week on Hamilton Road near Rickenbacker. Was like a DUI checkpoint except they had her turn on her lights, brights, brake lights, ect. checked her license, registration, insurance.

I didn't think that there were vehicle inspections in Ohio let alone checkpoints.

Does anyone have any info about this?

Thanks,

Rich

Yeah, more illegal search and seizure!

Aren't those white with blue lettering SUVs kind of the same thing but on the road, or are those only for commercial (semi) vehicles?

Those are commercial safety patrols. They will stop and inspect anything that could be confused as commercial though, especially after a law change in 2012.

My mom was stopped in a checkpoint this week on Hamilton Road near Rickenbacker. Was like a DUI checkpoint except they had her turn on her lights, brights, brake lights, ect. checked her license, registration, insurance.

I didn't think that there were vehicle inspections in Ohio let alone checkpoints.

Does anyone have any info about this?

Thanks,

Rich

The area around Rickenbacker is a Foreign Trade Zone. There are some different restrictions and so on that go on in an FTZ

You know, I'm all for this. Too many people driving around with one headlight out so they use their brights. Tail lights out, busted turn signals, etc.. I'd almost like to see a program where mechanics (or something of the like) are there on standby and replace bulbs on the spot, sending a bill to the driver for $50.

You know, I'm all for this. Too many people driving around with one headlight out so they use their brights. Tail lights out, busted turn signals, etc.. I'd almost like to see a program where mechanics (or something of the like) are there on standby and replace bulbs on the spot, sending a bill to the driver for $50.

In WV they have state inspections on all cars. They have to have a sticker on the windshield showing it has been inspected and passed.

It helps to keep some of the junk off the roads.

completely agree. I hate the mother fuckers that have no working brake lights!

The area around Rickenbacker is a Foreign Trade Zone. There are some different restrictions and so on that go on in an FTZ

About twice a month those highway patrol inspector guys hit the trucks coming out of the railway freight area pretty hard. Its nothing to see 5 or 6 trucks getting inspected on my way in to work.

Yeah, more illegal search and seizure!

Based on the OP, sounds like there was neither a search nor a seizure.

And when it comes to JUST safety issues, I have no problem giving LEO 5 minutes of my time to prove my car's in safe working order, and that I am a legal driver. Maybe if they did more of these, I wouldn't have to keep $200k of uninsured motorist coverage on my policy for peace of mind.

About twice a month those highway patrol inspector guys hit the trucks coming out of the railway freight area pretty hard. Its nothing to see 5 or 6 trucks getting inspected on my way in to work.

Yep. The FTZ makes it so cargo can come in and out without being subject to customs. Those inspectors will hit vehicles HARD to make sure they are not smuggling cargo out that hasn't been inspected by customs.

I think it's bs. Plain and simple. You want a state inspection, then handle it properly like every other state with one. You don't f'n "randomly" pull over people whenever you get a hair up your ass to do so for whatever shit reason you're giving me.

As far as this checkpoint goes, I guess I can understand it a bit given NotBrian's explanation.

One was set up on 158 between 70 and 40 last saturday about 2pm. Had two OHP and 1 White van with lettering. 6 people in total. Had some old lady with a handicap LP pulled over in a late 90's corolla. Walking around it with mirrors and such.

+1. I can't stand when people are too lazy to replace a headlight and think its okay to just drive around with their brights on blinding people.

There have been 3 that I have heard of in the past week out here by London. My girlfriend was stopped at one of them and they told her it was for training, which would kinda be understandable here because the peace academy is just outside London, but I still think it's bs.

There have been 3 that I have heard of in the past week out here by London. My girlfriend was stopped at one of them and they told her it was for training, which would kinda be understandable here because the peace academy is just outside London, but I still think it's bs.

Really, I'll have to keep my eyes out for these. Of course I don't usually drive through London I mostly just drive about a block to 665 and then head on over to Rickenbacker.

I guess I'm the only one that thinks this is a waste of time? The only thing a person got was no sticker for not having the insurance card? What would they do if your headlight was out? Would you get a ticket or just told to fix it and no sticker? I wouldn't let them out a sticker on my car period even if I passed. Also the fact that some newer cars you need to take the bumper off to replace some headlights I wouldn't want a roadside guy even looking at my car.