CR Review: 2002 BMW M3 Convertible

zeitgeist57

You're considering an e36 M3? Punch yourself in the face now and save a lot of time and trouble. Hahahaha

In all seriousness the e46 M3 is better in every way.

Care to clarify why better? Like other members said earlier, E46 M3 known problems are sub frame, bearings, lifter.

Interesting reading the actual M3 OWNERS express their opinion on E36 vs. E46. Take into consideration someone who hasn't owned a M car to begin with. The E46 is an awesome car, don't get me wrong, but for me personally I enjoyed the E36 more. I felt like it was worth a suggestion since I was really surprised with the E36.

When I say "I enjoyed it more" this is based on short test drives, nothing to really get comfortable in the car and get to know it.

Subframe was as much or more of a problem in E36 cars. It's a simple but labor intensive fix to reinforce that area.

The bearing issue was for pre- 2003.5 cars and was addressed by a recall and bearing replacement. The replacement bearing had larger clearances that required 10w-60 oil. I've not followed them as closely over the last couple years but I don't remember any bearing related horror stories as of late.

The lifters aren't an issue...they are a mainance item. I adjusted mine myself at 45k miles and only 4 were out of spec and only just

E36 and e46 both have vanos units that will eventually make noise...when that happens rebuild the unit.

E36 is a great platform, wonderful balance and feel but really underpowered by today's standards and the interior of the e46 is leaps and bounds better...dare I say the best BMW interior ever. I'm not a huge fan of what they have done with the newer interiors.

I've always wanted one of these cars. I've never driven an m car, never ridden in one, hell, never even sat in one. But I've always loved the looks and sound of the e46. I think they totally screwed up on the newer version

I think they totally screwed up on the newer version

This. The straight 6 was such an awesome sounding motor, and it fit the car so well. The V8 is great, but it's torque-less and doesn't make solid power until way up in the RPM range, I'd prefer a 6 and have had BMW keep the V8's to the M5.

This. The straight 6 was such an awesome sounding motor, and it fit the car so well. The V8 is great, but it's torque-less and doesn't make solid power until way up in the RPM range, I'd prefer a 6 and have had BMW keep the V8's to the M5.

You haven't driven the e46 m3 have you?

the E46 M3 I6 isn't the same way as the E92 M3's V8?? they're both high RPM, engines making over 100bhp/L Naturally Aspirated

Stock dynos overlaid

http://mmm.os.org.za/d/1799-1/DSC04302s.jpg

the S65 V8 makes 75ft.lbs/L and the S54 makes ~82ft.lbs/L though...the former is 4.0L and the latter is 3.2L

the E46 M3 I6 isn't the same way as the E92 M3's V8?? they're both high RPM, engines making over 100bhp/L Naturally Aspirated

Stock dynos overlaid

http://mmm.os.org.za/d/1799-1/DSC04302s.jpg

the S65 V8 makes 75ft.lbs/L and the S54 makes ~82ft.lbs/L though...the former is 4.0L and the latter is 3.2L

Power: Displacement is a generally meaningless figure. It's all about the curve, and the V8 is consistently making more horsepower and torque throughout the entirety of the pull than the S54-I6.

Care to clarify why better? Like other members said earlier, E46 M3 known problems are sub frame, bearings, lifter.

Engine issues aren't an issue these days as ,one as the proper oil is used and the affected cars had the recal done. Adjusting the valves isn't a big deal. Subframes on the M models aren't a likely to have problems as non-m e46s.

The e36 is also getting to that age of having "old BMW" problems which are just annoying and time consuming more than anything. Perhaps that's my current bias. The e46 may be bigger and heavier, but its also faster, more luxurious, and more solid. If the cose of a nicer low mileage e46 M3 isn't a barrier to entry then buy one and never look back.

Engine issues aren't an issue these days as ,one as the proper oil is used and the affected cars had the recal done. Adjusting the valves isn't a big deal. Subframes on the M models aren't a likely to have problems as non-m e46s.

The e36 is also getting to that age of having "old BMW" problems which are just annoying and time consuming more than anything. Perhaps that's my current bias. The e46 may be bigger and heavier, but its also faster, more luxurious, and more solid. If the cose of a nicer low mileage e46 M3 isn't a barrier to entry then buy one and never look back.

Thanks man. Like many on this forum I had never drive an e46 M3 before. I had drove an e36 M3 once and that was fourteen years ago and that had a lasting impression on a young driver brain. It was the greatest car I had ever drove. Granted up until then I only drove two accords and an Acura Virgo. Anyway, so E46 is better than E36, got it.

Thanks man. Like many on this forum I had never drive an e46 M3 before. I had drove an e36 M3 once and that was fourteen years ago and that had a lasting impression on a young driver brain. It was the greatest car I had ever drove. Granted up until then I only drove two accords and an Acura Virgo. Anyway, so E46 is better than E36, got it.

I've owned, driven, tracked, and unfortunately maintained an e36 M3 for the past 7 years. It's still been the best fun per $ car I've owned and I still love it despite some of its recurring issues. That being said I've also had the chance to drive and track a nice example of an e46 M3 and yes, it was better. The only advantage to the e36 these days is its lower price point.