Graduation Money

Buck531

Just a basic question. When you folks graduated high school (if you did).. and you had a party, etc. Got all kinds of cards and money from your friends/family, what did you end up doing with it? Blowing it on hookers? Strip club? buy a car? save it for school?

Serious question though.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not too worried about college. :). I was wondering when you were 18 or so and just go out of high school. I know you'll be wiser when you're in your 20's with money but what about when you just got out of HS?

My son has approximately a grand from graduation and wants to blow it on something extremely stupid.. but it's his money..

I got nothing, hehe still a sore issue with me considering what my two younger siblings got, but I won't hijack over it.

On a positive note I have always been extremely good with money and when I was 18 had around $750. I put it in some investments and had many thousands within a couple years just by letting it sit.

Realizing that you didn't ask for advice, don't tell him he can't have something, that'll just make him want it more.

Maybe what he really wants/needs is some car knowledge from his dad to steer him in the right direction. Get him to talk about what he REALLY wants. Think about what kind of car you would've gotten at his age and try to share that with him and maybe guide him to something a little less retarded than a clapped out S-10.

Also, when I was his age I got a super shitty old Chevy pickup truck that was RWD and manual for my birthday, 2 months after graduation.

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn69/caxide/frontcorner.jpg

Edited by Buck531